Add me to the Duratrac hate list.

Idaho RC
Model Year: 2017

Add me to the Duratrac hate list.

Post by Idaho RC » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:11 pm

I have 8K miles on my 2017. Last summer one of the Duratracs went flat with a rock penetrating the tire between the treads. I already had a good compressor so that prompted me to buy a tire plug kit. This last weekend I had another flat. This time It was a large hole through the tread. The hole was so large that I couldn't plug it. Plugs would push right through the hole. I had enough of the Duratracs so I bought 5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I replaced them with the stock size 285/70/17 10 ply tires. It's my first set of Nitto's so I am looking forward to seeing how these work out.

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Add me to the Duratrac hate list.

Post by Oilbrnr » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Duratrash.

But, they did get your truck off the dealer lot. Mission accomplished.
'16 with '17 FWC

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:24 am

Love the Nitto brand and so far loving all 2000 miles on my Ridge Grapplers. They also did spectacular off road. .

Was a little concerned coming from Trail Grapplers on my 05 Power Wagon but these handled great on the 19 35s seem to fit fine on stock. No real rubbing issues so far.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:49 pm

The punctures when not a trashed side wall are always under the fish skin between the tread for some reason. Its strange how other sites like TFL truck think they are great tires. It cant just be they don't work on a PW, come on...My wifes 4 Runner came with Nittos and they were not a bad tire at all.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

TommyDuncan
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by TommyDuncan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:39 am

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:49 pm
The punctures when not a trashed side wall are always under the fish skin between the tread for some reason. Its strange how other sites like TFL truck think they are great tires. It cant just be they don't work on a PW, come on...My wifes 4 Runner came with Nittos and they were not a bad tire at all.
On one of TFLs videos the bald guy(can't think of his name) was discussing line choice and it was entirely based on NOT wrecking a tire on a PW. This is the only time I recall them worrying about an offroad tire on anything.

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Oilbrnr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:14 pm

It was "PW Don't Care" Nathan.

The DT's are just a semi-aggressive looking tire that is a selling point to the naive truck buyer. Decent in snow and quiet, at least when new.

I was on an off-road trip in southern Utah a couple of years ago when my PW was only a few months old. Both myself and a buddy punctured sidewalls on DTs within a mile of each other. His were on a '04 Cummins. The remaining four of mine also suffered from sidewall separation after that trip due to running aired-down for five days.

I've run General Grabber X3's (aka Red Letters) since then on both my Lexus and PW. Spoke in person to one of Generals (Continental) tech leads at this years ExPo West about running aired down. His thoughts were to do what you need to do, but keep speeds under 40 for extended runs and get them back up as soon as is reasonable. He said that they have done some things to help mitigate damage caused by this, but it really is hard on tires to flex that much on each rotation and keep the plys bonded.

I just did a little over 200 miles in Death Valley with OAT > 100* this month at 24psi and so far so good. No chunking which was bonus as the rocks there are sharp and the rig is heavy at over 9,200.

Disclaimer, I work for Discount Tire, so I've run a variety of brands over the years and by a fair margin I can recommend the X3. (can't speak to snow/ice nor mud. Just weight, rock, sandstone and sand.)
'16 with '17 FWC

TommyDuncan
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by TommyDuncan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:18 pm

I took the much appreciated advice from this forum and sold my Duratracs with 500 miles on them.