Exhaust

Kcswarren
Model Year: 2015

Exhaust

Post by Kcswarren » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:38 am

I have a new to me '15 PW. The exhaust is stock. My wife's V6 Charger exhaust is louder than the truck is. Looking for suggestions on mods or replacements. Don't want it obnoxiously loud, but want it to sound like a truck, not a caddy. Thanks for any input.
'15 Power Wagon - Maximum Steel - Stock For Now

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Exhaust

Post by ScubaSteve » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:00 am

I've changed mine up a few times in the year that I have owned my '16. I started out with a Solo Performance muffler delete, which with the stock resonator sounded great. If I had to do it again, I probably would have gone with the Mufflex piece because I feel as though the Solo Performance delete was manufactured a bit too short. That resulted in not much overlap, and when clamped in, the weight of the resonator and rest of the tailpipe would eventually rotate it down to the ground no matter how tight I got the clamps. As a band-aid I cut off the resonator and installed a tip. Still, with the delete being a tad too short, and not being able to move the tailpipe far enough back for more overlap, I had a slight exhaust leak.

Either way, the sound provided by just a delete with the stock resonator installed is quite good. With the resonator cut off it was too loud for my liking so I recently had a local exhaust shop install a Spintech Pro Street 6000xl. I went with a dual in/dual out 2.5" and had them cut the factory Y-pipe out, with duals dumped high next to the spare tire. It has a nice mellow rumble and doesn't have any real drone in the cab. Sounds a lot like a chambered muffler but with a lot better flow characteristics than your typical Blowmaster.

I'll get a video of it in the near future to throw up on YouTube.

NVBM
Model Year: 2018

Post by NVBM » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:33 pm

Solo muffler delete (resonator still in place) sounds great but is really on the high side of acceptable, cold start in the neighborhood at 4:30AM is loud, not going to lie........... (all other times it's perfect however)
Roaming the back roads of southern Nevada...............
2016 Jeep Willys - sold
2017 Jeep Rubicon - sold
2018 Power Wagon
K&N steel tube intake
Solo muffler delete
Locker bypass - received, time to get off my duff and install

SeppW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SeppW » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:18 pm

I've ran Gibson and MagnaFlow cat-backs. Currently running MagnaFlow. The MagnaFlow is okay, doesn't drone when cruising, throaty, tame, but not obnoxiously loud, even at heavy acceleration. I do run the full kit, resonator and muffler, some on here delete one or the other. Then there is custom exhaust route or as noted, modding the OEM exhaust. MDS has some impact on it as well, especially when cruising. It sounds like it's a burbling 4 cylinder until the MDS deactivates

The stainless kits are pricey. I picked up the MagnaFlow off Amazon for $600 about 3 years ago. It's pushing $1K at full retail. These are DITY, but it took me damn near a day to install, but I was taking time to get it right. I hate reworks. If you run the full MagnaFlow kit, it gets tight near axle and spare tire heat shield. I wound up removing the spare and heat shield so I could get better access, which likely added to time.

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Jack187 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:15 pm

SeppW wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:18 pm
I've ran Gibson and MagnaFlow cat-backs. Currently running MagnaFlow. The MagnaFlow is okay, doesn't drone when cruising, throaty, tame, but not obnoxiously loud, even at heavy acceleration. I do run the full kit, resonator and muffler, some on here delete one or the other. Then there is custom exhaust route or as noted, modding the OEM exhaust. MDS has some impact on it as well, especially when cruising. It sounds like it's a burbling 4 cylinder until the MDS deactivates

The stainless kits are pricey. I picked up the MagnaFlow off Amazon for $600 about 3 years ago. It's pushing $1K at full retail. These are DITY, but it took me damn near a day to install, but I was taking time to get it right. I hate reworks. If you run the full MagnaFlow kit, it gets tight near axle and spare tire heat shield. I wound up removing the spare and heat shield so I could get better access, which likely added to time.
Which of the 2 Magnaflow kits did you get? The one with the dual tips or the single 4"?
2015 Tradesman (PW option), 37X12.50R17LT Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, AEV Katla 8.5" wheels

SeppW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SeppW » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:04 am

Jack187 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Which of the 2 Magnaflow kits did you get? The one with the dual tips or the single 4"?
I went with single outlet. I did have an issue with the mid pipe. I could not get the OEM pipe off as it was tac welded at the Y-Pipe collector so left it on and cut the kit's mid pipe to length. I didn't want to screw with the Y-Pipe because there is anecdotal assertions FCA will void warranty if any tampering with it. I also bought the extended warranty so not taking a chance. I was going to go with AFEs long tube headers and Y-Pipe, but opted out because of uncertainty about warranty coverage if anything in the engine went tango uniform.