Rear Springs tuftruck ttc-1225

yardmanharry
Model Year: 2017

Rear Springs tuftruck ttc-1225

Post by yardmanharry » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Hello folks, thanks in advance for your guidance.

I have a stock power wagon 2017. I purchased rear springs Tuftruck TTC-1225 to help with my travel trailer towing experience. The total payload will be nearing the max recommended for this truck.

My question is, does anybody have advice on the additional lift i will need? i think stock springs lift the truck by 2 inches. So the closest thing i can find in terms of spacers is Rugged Road 1.5 inch rear coils spacers.

Looking for advice. i dont want to lift the truck anymore, i just want to put these springs in to help stabilize the load and bring the truck back up to stock height.

Thanks again,
Cheers,

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Rear Springs tuftruck ttc-1225

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Those look like 1500 springs. I'd return those and get Airlift Airbags 5000 and Daystar Cradles. That way you keep your flex and can airup to tow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate airbags (88289) and Daystar airbag cradles that won’t negatively affect ride quality or suspension range of motion.

Or 1.5” spacers on heavy springs that will ride like a dump truck when unloaded.

I know which one I’d pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:30 pm

TankerZak wrote:Those look like 1500 springs. I'd return those and get Airlift Airbags 5000 and Daystar Cradles. That way you keep your flex and can airup to tow.

The springs the OP bought are for 2500, and are designed to be STIFFER than regular 2500 springs (but the product page I found doesn’t give any real technical specs).

John
Alaska
My build thread

yardmanharry

Post by yardmanharry » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Hello John and TankerZak.
Thanks so much for your valuable inputs. The springs are variable rate. Does that help with ride when unloaded? I will look at the airbag kit. I attached a picture of the springs.

Thank you again for the great replies.

Cheers
Attachments
Screenshot_20190611-142932.png

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
TankerZak wrote:Those look like 1500 springs. I'd return those and get Airlift Airbags 5000 and Daystar Cradles. That way you keep your flex and can airup to tow.

The springs the OP bought are for 2500, and are designed to be STIFFER than regular 2500 springs (but the product page I found doesn’t give any real technical specs).

Odd, I must have failed at googlefu. Product page I saw said 1500. Real question is what weight are you trying to offset and how often?

Last edited by TankerZak on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

yardmanharry

Post by yardmanharry » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm

The payload will be around 1500 maybe more. Towing around 9000 lbs. It's a travel trailer so we won't be towing it year round. Just on family excursions.

On a side note
I had 10 bags of 80lb cement in the bed with some lumber and she was sagging quite a bit. And she was swervy. So... Just wondering what the travel trailer will be like

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Ahh... this. This is a problem I've solved. Part of that is the weak ass Duratrac sidewalls acting all squirrelly. Another part is to add the airbags mentioned above. There are a few writeups on this site on the setup. Another part is the terrible angle of the rear trackbar. You address those three issues and your problems will be solved without making your truck ride like a dumptruck when not towing and hauling.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:39 am

TankerZak wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:11 pm
Ahh... this. This is a problem I've solved. Part of that is the weak ass Duratrac sidewalls acting all squirrelly. Another part is to add the airbags mentioned above. There are a few writeups on this site on the setup. Another part is the terrible angle of the rear trackbar. You address those three issues and your problems will be solved without making your truck ride like a dumptruck when not towing and hauling.

The airbags will be the ticket! But avoid any top heavy loading...

Relative to the tires only: It's not the Duratrac sidewalls causing weird handling - its more likely lack of air pressure (IMHO).
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:01 am

I use my power wagon to tow a 7000 pound (empty) travel trailer and it works just fine with the factory springs. I do have the airlift 5000 bags and daystar cradle setup, but that was not needed until I leveled the truck. Worked just fine in stock form with a properly setup weight distribution hitch. No sway issues or sagging issues at all.

I would steer clear of those springs. I wouldn't do anything until you use it once or twice first. Factory setup might be just fine for you.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

yardmanharry

Post by yardmanharry » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks again folks.

I placed an order for the airbag kit and cradles. I'll probably return the springs as recommended.

I guess the general consensus is the airbags do the trick. Thank you again

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Oilbrnr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:20 pm

About a month ago I put a bunch of Thuren/King goodies on my '16 that when loaded up for a trip, is over 9,400. The OEM rear springs are augmented with the AirLift/Daystar combo. Running 30psi in the bags, the truck was level for last weeks adventure in Death Valley. Overall, very happy with the setup and handling. Upon getting home and unloaded, put the bags back to 10psi.

I agree with the above comment RE Durapads. I was not impressed with their sidewall performance, both from puncture, and also separation after running deflated off-road. The Thuren rear trackbar mod is highly recommended. Loaded or not.
'16 with '17 FWC

yardmanharry

Post by yardmanharry » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Again. Cannot thank you all enough. Final question. I will not need spacers for the airbags, correct? There is enough bag for the power wagon lift, right?

Thanks so much

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm

yardmanharry wrote:Again. Cannot thank you all enough. Final question. I will not need spacers for the airbags, correct? There is enough bag for the power wagon lift, right?

Thanks so much
LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate plus Daystar cradle is a proven solution on Power Wagons, over and over and over again.

The problem with other airbag setups is exactly what you’re asking about. Spacers. The bags aren’t long enough and are bolted to the axle, resulting in the bag becoming a limit strap when the axle droops. Or, a spacer is used, and the bag must be kept pressurized in the absence of a bump stop, resulting in a loss of compression travel.

The LoadLifter Ultimate can be run at 0 psi thanks to the internal bump with no spacer limiting compression travel, and the Daystar cradle uncouples the bag from the axle allowing full droop. Win win.

John
Alaska
My build thread

yardmanharry

Post by yardmanharry » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Thank you John for the fast reply. I'll post up picks of the final set up once I get everything squared away.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:39 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
yardmanharry wrote:Again. Cannot thank you all enough. Final question. I will not need spacers for the airbags, correct? There is enough bag for the power wagon lift, right?

Thanks so much
LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate plus Daystar cradle is a proven solution on Power Wagons, over and over and over again.

The problem with other airbag setups is exactly what you’re asking about. Spacers. The bags aren’t long enough and are bolted to the axle, resulting in the bag becoming a limit strap when the axle droops. Or, a spacer is used, and the bag must be kept pressurized in the absence of a bump stop, resulting in a loss of compression travel.

The LoadLifter Ultimate can be run at 0 psi thanks to the internal bump with no spacer limiting compression travel, and the Daystar cradle uncouples the bag from the axle allowing full droop. Win win.

What he said. Remember to remove the factory spacer as well. The airbags and cradles are enough. If you want the full writeup read Olleyrs post. We argue about it for a while... then he removes his spacers... lol!

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:39 pm
Low_Sky wrote:

Thanks so much

What he said. Remember to remove the factory spacer as well. The airbags and cradles are enough. If you want the full writeup read Olleyrs post. We argue about it for a while... then he removes his spacers... lol!

This fella is correct! LOL dont use the factory power wagon bump-stop spacer.

Honestly, even without the factory power wagon bump-stop spacer installed, I think the ultimate bags with the internal bump-stop may actually limit compression just a tad in comparison. Thats just my seat of the pants thoughts, but have no factual data to prove it.

Also, something to keep in mind. Even with no air pressure at ride height, when the suspension starts compressing pressure will actually start building up in the bags. Maybe that is limiting compression a bit? If the valve cores were taken out when not using them then this would not occur.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Here is the writeup I did with my truck, which has a fair bit of info from others as well...

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4732

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Oilbrnr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:17 pm

I vacillated for some time about the ultimates vs. regular 5000's. I went with the regular version and they will bottom out when running fast enough at 10psi to hit the front Thuren Boogies at speed. Might be better with the internal stop? Dunno.

When the truck is fully loaded and aired up to 30 psi, they are nice, however, I'm not sure how they effect articulation compression. That was a consideration at purchase too, and I assumed (maybe wrongly) that they would allow further up travel than those with the internal stop.

Stop or no stop, they do seem to be the ticket.

I'm going to have it up on the rack this weekend to adjust my WK sliders, so I'm going to inspect them after last weeks trip to DV. I also drive 6 miles on un-paved rural AZ roads every day, so I'm going to monitor them for wear around the cradles. I've had problems on other vehicles with air suspensions due to the abrasive action from this environment, chews up the rubber parts pretty quick.
'16 with '17 FWC

yardmanharry

Post by yardmanharry » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 am

Hello Folks,
Wanted to say thanks so much for your help. A few updates:
1. Installed load lifter 5000, they worked great for sure. Excellent upgrade for the power wagon. Hauled the camper empty and there was very little squat without the airbags inflated. here she is all hooked up.

2. Took several trips with the camper and the Powerwagon over the summer, even had the opportunity to winch out a fellow camper who was a little too close to the tree. BUT, the 7-8 mpg hauling the camper, and the screaming RPM's up and down the hills... just didnt do it for me.

3. I was super sad to let her go, but I traded her for a 2017 3500 6.7 TD Laramie. So basically the same setup as the PW but without the winch, and lockers. And half the mileage than the PW had. The cummins is a far better engine to do the work I am asking it to do. The 6.7l actually pulls the loads while getting 14-16 mpg.

4. I pulled the airbags off the PW and got the bracket kit direct from Airlift company, so i can still use the airbags in my SRW 3500 if i need to.

Overall, the PW was a great truck, but 1100lbs payload and the 6.4 hemi struggled to impress me with the work i am doing. I was sick about the trade for a couple of days, but after the first long trip in the Cummins, the PW is now a great memory. I am happy I owned one and had the experience in it.

Thanks again for your help folks. Much appreciated.
Attachments
download_20190905_091931.jpg