Hardwired Lockers with OEM Knob

Discussions including Electrical / Lighting & Accessories / Onboard Air
myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Re: Hardwired Lockers with OEM Knob

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:20 pm

JBM Power Wagon wrote:Is it wrong that I feel all warm and fuzzy inside every time there is an update to this thread?
Not at all. :D

Just to give an update, I am unable to source the 4 pin connector that's a couple feet upstream of the axle plug. I was hoping to use this connector since it will be a cleaner look, but I have to order 1200 connectors and wait 14 weeks if I want them! Ouch! So, we'll just have to take the wiring harness all the way down to the front axle. :(
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 pm

verdesardog wrote:WOW! that's a lot of relays. Couldn't you do that wtih some logic circuits and solid state drivers?
Yes you can. Myoung and I were talking about that today. This is more of a walk before you run solution and using relays is a tried and true method. The logic side of it as well as the driver circuits will come in time as we learn the in depth function on the smart bar electronics.

sent from my [insert random phone device] using Tap-a-doddle Pro! now for a small fee!
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Haha I had to break for food mid type!

sent from my [insert random phone device] using Tap-a-doddle Pro! now for a small fee!

John Adams - 1826

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:51 pm

the relays will probably more reliable too....
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:02 pm

JBM Power Wagon wrote:Is it wrong that I feel all warm and fuzzy inside every time there is an update to this thread?
LOL- at least I'm not the only one.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:07 pm

verdesardog wrote:the relays will probably more reliable too....

That was my thoughts as well. The last thing I want is to get 20+ of these out in the field and logic boards start failing. I [will] stand by the stuff that I will build and this makes repairs much more difficult. If a relay or relay board fails, I can ship a new one out and most customers can replace it themselves. Also, say 5 years down the road, I may not be around (I hope I am) and these need to be simple enough for someone else to troubleshoot if there is an issue.

Also, after talking with Pit today, digging into the smartbar itself and controlling the electric disconnect is a much bigger undertaking than the lockers. We're talking replacing circuit boards and that's something most people with warranties won't want to do. What I have planned is going to be very easy to install and remove.
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:20 pm

I think for most of us the sway bar is the least of our concerns. I honestly only use the sway bar when I'm messing around- I've actually never needed it. The lockers on the other hand are a huge reason all of us bought the Power Wagon. When I'm in deep snow I need to know the lockers are going to work, not hope they are going to work.
Gone but Never Forgotten
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:54 pm

myoung84 wrote:
verdesardog wrote:the relays will probably more reliable too....

That was my thoughts as well. The last thing I want is to get 20+ of these out in the field and logic boards start failing. I [will] stand by the stuff that I will build and this makes repairs much more difficult. If a relay or relay board fails, I can ship a new one out and most customers can replace it themselves. Also, say 5 years down the road, I may not be around (I hope I am) and these need to be simple enough for someone else to troubleshoot if there is an issue.

Also, after talking with Pit today, digging into the smartbar itself and controlling the electric disconnect is a much bigger undertaking than the lockers. We're talking replacing circuit boards and that's something most people with warranties won't want to do. What I have planned is going to be very easy to install and remove.
I don't think we need to change the smartbar. I just like the idea of hardwired lockers and the Evo manual disconnect for the smartbar.
Loving my 3/4 ton version of my old Jeep TJ!!!!!

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:08 pm

I've got everything figured out and will be ordering parts tomorrow. :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:29 pm

myoung84 wrote:I've got everything figured out and will be ordering parts tomorrow. :D

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
Gone but Never Forgotten

BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BlkWgn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:48 pm

here :cash:
My new photography site - BlkWgn Photography http://blkwgn.smugmug.com

2006 Dodge Power Wagon production number 44 - Mercenary Offroad Prototype Bumper - Toyo 35 MT - Caril Springs - Carli Track Bar - Thuren Overland Shocks - Carli Front Diff Guard - RockCrusher Rear Diff Guard - Airflow Snorkel - Locker Bypass - Leer shell w/Roof Rack and 125w Solar Panel - and an empty wallet
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro (For Sale)

Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer[/color]

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... agon-Build

American Adventurist - http://www.americanadventurist.com

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:00 am

Parts for the prototype of my "Smartbar Locker Bypass" have been ordered. :D

ScottWagon1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by ScottWagon1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:08 pm

myoung84 wrote:Parts for the prototype of my "Smartbar Locker Bypass" have been ordered. :D
Hope his works for the sway bar too. With these new tires I don't have a traction problem as much as a rough ride problem! Having the sway bay disconnected is the biggest ride improvement on the rough roads hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Carl Scott: Black 2012 PW 35/12.50/17 Nitto Mud Grappler. Thuren control arms. Carli 3" Hmei coils. Carli Track bar. Magnaflow dual inlet/single outlet muffler. Front window tint. Clear Bra. Cold air intake. Hard wired lockers. All options but leather and dual climate

wingerak92
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by wingerak92 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:23 pm

ScottWagon1 wrote:
myoung84 wrote:Parts for the prototype of my "Smartbar Locker Bypass" have been ordered. :D
Hope his works for the sway bar too. With these new tires I don't have a traction problem as much as a rough ride problem! Having the sway bay disconnected is the biggest ride improvement on the rough roads hunting.

Have people been having issues with the away bad? I haven't had an issue with mine, just the standard locker issue.
I normally disconnect the sway bar when I'm off roading because I have been off camber a few times and without it I would have felt like tipping haha
2012 SAGEBRUSH POWER WAGON SLT
Aluminess Front Bumper, Air Raid Intake, Auxiliary Switches, Hooker Aerochamber Muffler, Stock size Duratracs on Stock Wheels for winters.... For now....

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 pm

This will not work with the sway bar. After talking with Pit Slave, the electronics for the sway bar disconnect is much more involved.

ScottWagon1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by ScottWagon1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:18 pm

wingerak92 wrote:
ScottWagon1 wrote:

Have people been having issues with the away bad? I haven't had an issue with mine, just the standard locker issue.
I normally disconnect the sway bar when I'm off roading because I have been off camber a few times and without it I would have felt like tipping haha
No sway bar issues with me. Been good so far and used it a bunch. Found a truck though-flat ground wheels straight seems to engage and disengage quicker.

Carl Scott: Black 2012 PW 35/12.50/17 Nitto Mud Grappler. Thuren control arms. Carli 3" Hmei coils. Carli Track bar. Magnaflow dual inlet/single outlet muffler. Front window tint. Clear Bra. Cold air intake. Hard wired lockers. All options but leather and dual climate

BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BlkWgn » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:29 pm

my sway bar has not reconnected in a year and a half
My new photography site - BlkWgn Photography http://blkwgn.smugmug.com

2006 Dodge Power Wagon production number 44 - Mercenary Offroad Prototype Bumper - Toyo 35 MT - Caril Springs - Carli Track Bar - Thuren Overland Shocks - Carli Front Diff Guard - RockCrusher Rear Diff Guard - Airflow Snorkel - Locker Bypass - Leer shell w/Roof Rack and 125w Solar Panel - and an empty wallet
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro (For Sale)

Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer[/color]

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... agon-Build

American Adventurist - http://www.americanadventurist.com

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:00 pm

myoung84, will this mod work on an '05 switch like below ? I don't know what a 4G switch set-up looks like.
Attachments
0610dp_16_z+2005_dodge_ram_cummins_2500_power_wagon_4x4+electric_differential_controls.jpg
2005 Power Wagon

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Yes and no. The electronics should work but I don't think the plugs under the hood are the same.

wingerak92
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by wingerak92 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:22 pm

ScottWagon1 wrote: No sway bar issues with me. Been good so far and used it a bunch. Found a truck though-flat ground wheels straight seems to engage and disengage quicker.

Yeah I always try to find a nice staging area to disconnect/reconnect the sway bar and get set up.
2012 SAGEBRUSH POWER WAGON SLT
Aluminess Front Bumper, Air Raid Intake, Auxiliary Switches, Hooker Aerochamber Muffler, Stock size Duratracs on Stock Wheels for winters.... For now....

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:54 am

For those that are interested, here's the diagram for the plug at the smart bar. If you notice, there's no wires that can engage the sway bar disconnect, it's all internal to the smartbar. Manual control of the disconnect is much more involved than the lockers and would require modifications to the electronics within the smartbar...

Also, I really wish I could purchase the male and female ends of the locker plug. Having a single T harness to insert between the smartbar plug would be awesome!
Attachments
Smartbar Plug_Page_1.jpg
Smartbar Plug_Page_2.jpg
Smartbar Plug_Page_3.jpg

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:58 am

Another thing to note is the pin out on the smart bar is different from year to year.

John Adams - 1826

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:08 pm

The plugs showed up yesterday along with 800' of wire! Hopefully the relay board will be here this week...

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:04 pm

I like where this going!!!
Gone but Never Forgotten

TrueBlue13PW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by TrueBlue13PW » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Good luck keep us updated on the status :excited: