Discussions including Electrical / Lighting & Accessories / Onboard Air
BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: Hardwired Lockers with OEM Knob

Post by BlkWgn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:02 pm

getting antsy
My new photography site - BlkWgn Photography http://blkwgn.smugmug.com

2006 Dodge Power Wagon production number 44 - Mercenary Offroad Prototype Bumper - Toyo 35 MT - Caril Springs - Carli Track Bar - Thuren Overland Shocks - Carli Front Diff Guard - RockCrusher Rear Diff Guard - Airflow Snorkel - Locker Bypass - Leer shell w/Roof Rack and 125w Solar Panel - and an empty wallet
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro (For Sale)

Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer[/color]

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... agon-Build

American Adventurist - http://www.americanadventurist.com

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:39 am

Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:40 am

Nice, will be nice once you figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 am

Grrrr!

I was looking at the wiring for 2010 and the 14 pin connector that houses the rear locker wires has a slightly different configuration than 2011-2012. Luckily the pins associated with the lockers are the same but some of the other wires are different sizes. This isn't a huge deal, but one pin on the 2010 is a 14 gauge wire where the 2011-12 is an 18 gauge wire. I'll just have to build the harness to handle the worst case scenario. I still need to confirm the 2013-2014 trucks...
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:26 am

Oh there's more differences throughout the years. Just look at the wire diagrams.

sent from my [insert random phone device] using Tap-a-doddle Pro! now for a small fee!
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:29 am

I have no clue on pricing but, whatever it ends up being, I am VERY interested!!!!!!! Another great thing to spend $$$ on, LOL! :cash:

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 am

More bad news: Looks like 2013's are different!

1. The 14 pin connector behind the drivers headlight that has the rear locker wires is gone. Two of these wires are in a 34 pin connector and the other two are in a 4 pin connector that I am unable to source. This isn't a deal breaker since I can build the harness to run all the way back to the rear axle. Bigger pain in the ass for installation, but doable.

2. Now for the bigger issue. The 10 pin connector that has all the wires for sensing the knob position and for the LED's looks like it might have also changed. There's some incomplete info on the wiring diagrams. Can one of you 2013 guys check for this connector behind the passenger side headlight area? Need to make sure it's the same connector. I hope they didn't change it because that really throws a kink in things... While we're at it, can some of you 3rd gen guys check for this as well?
C101 - Underhood Female.jpg
Since I really don't want to get into making several different harnesses and there's already several differences, would everyone be willing to run a cable from the hood back to the rear axle? I know this makes installation a bit harder but it makes the system more compatible with all the years, including 3rd gens. Cost wise, it will be about the same. There will be more wire which costs more money, but the 14 pin connector under the hood and all the associated pins are pretty expensive. The Molex plugs at the axles are cheaper. This will be a complete harness wrapped in loom with the same style T harness that I'll be using for the front axle. This also keeps the front and rear axle connections uniform.
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can

Mopar Bob
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Mopar Bob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:37 am

If having to run a cable to the rear axle makes for a product that can be used for multiple generations, it would not likely be a deal killer for me.
2012 Power Wagon
PIAA 570s behind grill (to be moved to light bar soon), HID low beams, "cheap bulb" upgrade high beams and fogs, LED tail light and reverse light bulbs, DOR Diff Covers, Warn wireless remote, Magnaflow y-pipe and 22" muffler, AFE Air Filter (stock box) and a Lund Genesis™ Elite Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover covering up the gear.

BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BlkWgn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:39 am

if it lets me control the lockers so I can ditch the smart bar than I will take what I can get

2006 Dodge Power Wagon production number 44 - Mercenary Offroad Prototype Bumper - Toyo 35 MT - Caril Springs - Carli Track Bar - Thuren Overland Shocks - Carli Front Diff Guard - RockCrusher Rear Diff Guard - Airflow Snorkel - Locker Bypass - Leer shell w/Roof Rack and 125w Solar Panel - and an empty wallet

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:54 am

Mopar Bob wrote:If having to run a cable to the rear axle makes for a product that can be used for multiple generations, it would not likely be a deal killer for me.
Cool! I know it's more work and I've been trying to avoid having to do it this way but I think it makes for a better install in the long run and actually make it easier on me. I've run a lot of wire all over my truck and it's not really that big of a deal to me personally. I've got a harness going to the tailgate for the electric lock as well as a harness for my rear camera. What I might do is add a secondary connector after the control box so you can remove the control box and all the wiring expect for the harness that runs to the rear axle. If you have to make a dealer trip you can unplug both sides and zip tie them out of sight somewhere and the dealer will be none the wiser. This will also make installation of this 20' harness easier.
BlkWgn wrote:if it lets me control the lockers so I can ditch the smart bar than I will take what I can get
Would you mind checking for that 10 pin connector under the hood? I'd like to see if the 3rd gens have it too. If you do, that more than likely make this a direct install for all power wagons. From everything I am seeing, 2010-2014 all have this connector...

BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BlkWgn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:02 pm

myoung84 wrote:
BlkWgn wrote:if it lets me control the lockers so I can ditch the smart bar than I will take what I can get
Would you mind checking for that 10 pin connector under the hood? I'd like to see if the 3rd gens have it too. If you do, that more than likely make this a direct install for all power wagons. From everything I am seeing, 2010-2014 all have this connector...
Where is it, if it is not raining I will check when I get home tonight

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:57 pm

BlkWgn wrote:
myoung84 wrote:
Where is it, if it is not raining I will check when I get home tonight
I'll snap a pic of where mine is when I get home. Looking at the 3rd gen diagrams, I don't think you're going to have it. Here's screen shot of the only connector I could find that has the wires that I need, other than at the smartbar itself. This connector is in the cab at the driver's kick panel. The 3rd gen diagrams aren't nearly as good as the 4th gens, so there might be another connecter inline with this one under the hood before it hits the smartbar.
Attachments
3rd Gen Connector.jpg
3rd Gen Connector2.jpg

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Mopar Bob wrote:If having to run a cable to the rear axle makes for a product that can be used for multiple generations, it would not likely be a deal killer for me.
Same for me.
Loving my 3/4 ton version of my old Jeep TJ!!!!!

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:58 pm

As long as the install process is fairly straight forward and not too complicated I'm up for whatever you put together.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:06 pm

It will still be very straightforward, just have to run a little longer harness... I'll even provide the zip ties. :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TrueBlue13PW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by TrueBlue13PW » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:42 pm

I won't be back and able to check my 2013 out until next week. If you don't have an answer for the 2013's by then I'll check for you.

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm

TrueBlue13PW wrote:I won't be back and able to check my 2013 out until next week. If you don't have an answer for the 2013's by then I'll check for you.
I'm pretty sure it hasn't change. Here's the pic showing where the plug in question is located. This is on the passenger side.

Also bought the $75 ratchet crimper to properly crimp the terminals.

rgory

Post by rgory » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 pm

According to the mopar connector website, c137 is a 14 pin connector for a 2007 PW. I am anxiously waiting the development of this harness.

Rg

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Got any part numbers on the connector?

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:07 am

So, this may sound dumb, but what would be the benefit of hardwiring the lockers? Are we trying to bypass something? I'm new to Power Wagons, so I may be missing something. I apologize for my ignorance. :digahole:
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:11 am

SheepdogOutdoorsman wrote:So, this may sound dumb, but what would be the benefit of hardwiring the lockers? Are we trying to bypass something? I'm new to Power Wagons, so I may be missing something. I apologize for my ignorance. :digahole:
Currently the lockers only work in 4-Lo and when the star's are aligned just right. By hardwiring the lockers you bypass the system that was put in place by Ram and you can use them in 4-Hi as well. Heck- you'd be able to use just the rear locker without putting the truck in 4 wheel drive at all, which at times can be nice.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:14 am

04Ram2500Hemi wrote:
SheepdogOutdoorsman wrote:So, this may sound dumb, but what would be the benefit of hardwiring the lockers? Are we trying to bypass something? I'm new to Power Wagons, so I may be missing something. I apologize for my ignorance. :digahole:
Currently the lockers only work in 4-Lo and when the star's are aligned just right. By hardwiring the lockers you bypass the system that was put in place by Ram and you can use them in 4-Hi as well. Heck- you'd be able to use just the rear locker without putting the truck in 4 wheel drive at all, which at times can be nice.
Sold!
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:18 am

I'd say there's no such thing as a dumb question, but there's some stupid people out there with some pretty dumb questions. This one is not dumb however. :rofl:

Yes, we are bypassing the smartbar electronics which is the biggest reason why the lockers don't always work right. There's a lot of smarts (if you can call it that) built into the smartbar and it causes a lot of problems.

There's two locker bypasses that you'll see around here. First is the original locker bypass that was installed inline with the transfer case position sensor that tricked the trucked into thinking it was in 4-Low and allowed the lockers to lock in 4-High or 2WD. The problem of the smartbar is still present with this bypass.

The second bypass, which I am building, completely bypasses the smartbar all together for locker operation while maintaining the use of the factory knob. Many guys have already hard wired their lockers with separate switches but this leaves the factory selector knob unused. Also by doing this bypass, like the other bypass, you can lock your lockers in any drive mode and at any speed.

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:19 am

04Ram2500Hemi wrote:
You beat me to it! :lol:

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:23 am

myoung84 wrote:
I'd say there's no such thing as a dumb question, but there's some stupid people out there with some pretty dumb questions. This one is not dumb however. :rofl:

Yes, we are bypassing the smartbar electronics which is the biggest reason why the lockers don't always work right. There's a lot of smarts (if you can call it that) built into the smartbar and it causes a lot of problems.

There's two locker bypasses that you'll see around here. First is the original locker bypass that was installed inline with the transfer case position sensor that tricked the trucked into thinking it was in 4-Low and allowed the lockers to lock in 4-High or 2WD. The problem of the smartbar is still present with this bypass.

The second bypass, which I am building, completely bypasses the smartbar all together for locker operation while maintaining the use of the factory knob. Many guys have already hard wired their lockers with separate switches but this leaves the factory selector knob unused. Also by doing this bypass, like the other bypass, you can lock your lockers in any drive mode and at any speed.
Nice! Thank you for the explanation. I guess I'm just used to lockers that lock when you tell them to. I didn't know the PW had these issues. I'm sold though. If you build it ... I will come. :cheers:
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman