Hardwired Lockers with OEM Knob

Discussions including Electrical / Lighting & Accessories / Onboard Air
OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: Hardwired Lockers with OEM Knob

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Totally possible, it's not a complicated task. You supply them with 12v and they engage. Talking a switch, and relay minimum. I'm just not one for making stuff for other people.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 pm

I started this project today. I might be willing to make a harness.... Maybe, it'd def be later in June after PWIM and some other stuff.

But very straightforward. Documenting the whole process on my Instagram story right now if you are interested: https://www.instagram.com/boldadventure/

I'll do a separate write-up and youtube video when I get more time. I'm in crunch time before we leave for Moab. And instagram is a very fast method for me to share info.
-------
------

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:13 pm

I am interested, thanks for sharing the link for us!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:30 am

So I went to that instagram thing and I can not figure out how to navigate it very well. Didnt find anything about the locker setup. Did see a lot of cool pics though!

And congrats on losing all that weight so far. Thats frickin impressive! You must feel so much better!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 am

You have to have the app, to view stories. Sorry. That's just how it works. I realized half way through my posting this content would make a better youtube video. I decided to even use a wireloom, which ate up WAAY to much of my day, lol.

I'm not using the OEM Knob, however. So I'll have to add my details to a separate thread. I'm on a time crunch with Moab, so I also did not buy aftermarket connectors. I'm spliced right into the harness and using a set of 12V relays, 15 amp fuses, and some new switches.
Attachments
IMG_1620.jpg
-------
------

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:19 am

MikeKey wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 am
You have to have the app, to view stories. Sorry. That's just how it works. I realized half way through my posting this content would make a better youtube video. I decided to even use a wireloom, which ate up WAAY to much of my day, lol.

I'm not using the OEM Knob, however. So I'll have to add my details to a separate thread. I'm on a time crunch with Moab, so I also did not buy aftermarket connectors. I'm spliced right into the harness and using a set of 12V relays, 15 amp fuses, and some new switches.
Ah I see. I will have to try and figure out how to get the app.

So with splicing in to the original harness, will you still be able to utilize the original knob as intended for the lockers (not that it really matters, just curious). And did you put any safety switch for them, so they wont lock until the safety switch is flipped?

Sounds about how I did it with my jk rubicon. New switches and tapped into the oem wires. But the factory switches still worked if I wanted to use them... although I never did.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:03 pm

So I went on my wifes phone with her instagram and watched that locker video. :rockon:

You definitely need to post that here somehow. Lots of good info. :cheers:

Off topic, but what is that large metal bracket in the rear that has Thuren written on it (I could see it in the video)? Is that to keep brake lines and such in check with the added travel?

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 pm

I can see running the hardwire harness all the way to the rear axle if you were going to use an OEM connector, but if you’re going to cut the factory wires, might as well do it up at the firewall/engine bay where it would be better protected from the elements and save 10’+ of wire and loom frustration.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 pm
I can see running the hardwire harness all the way to the rear axle if you were going to use an OEM connector, but if you’re going to cut the factory wires, might as well do it up at the firewall/engine bay where it would be better protected from the elements and save 10’+ of wire and loom frustration.
I had a hard time tracing, and when I did, I found multiples of that color wire on my 2015. This was also the case at the sway bar controller.
-------
------

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:13 pm

Volt meter.

You could have used two diodes and kept the factory wires connected too. You didn't need to cut the negative wires either.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 am

MikeKey wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:55 pm
Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 pm
I had a hard time tracing, and when I did, I found multiples of that color wire on my 2015. This was also the case at the sway bar controller.
You could have texted/call me, lol. I would have told you which wire was the locker source and return at the smart bar....
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 am

relay power and ground the locker wires At the smartbar? thats sounds simple enough... does the smart bar disconnect have the same function as the lockers, in the way that 12V power disconnects the bar no matter what conditions exist?
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:50 pm

shit works, that's all that matters.
-------
------

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:11 pm

PWJouster wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 am
relay power and ground the locker wires At the smartbar? thats sounds simple enough... does the smart bar disconnect have the same function as the lockers, in the way that 12V power disconnects the bar no matter what conditions exist?
That's a really great question. Which wire is the 12v power side of the smart bar for the coupler?

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:51 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:50 pm
shit works, that's all that matters.
:rockon:

Yep, thats just it. There is always different avenues to get something done, and sometimes it may be easier or harder, righter or wronger :lol: . Regardless, you tackled this project and got them working :cheers:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:52 pm

olyelr wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:51 pm
MikeKey wrote: shit works, that's all that matters.
:rockon:

Yep, thats just it. There is always different avenues to get something done, and sometimes it may be easier or harder, righter or wronger :lol: . Regardless, you tackled this project and got them working :cheers:
I totally agree! Mike gets full credit and a man-card merit badge for being the first new gen guy with the stones to do this mod on his rig and document it! :rockon:

After looking at the wire connector diagram for the SmartBar, I see what he means about duplicate wire colors. Why would Dodge/Ram do that when they have a full spectrum of colors to choose from? :angry:
Reloaderguy wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:11 pm
PWJouster wrote: relay power and ground the locker wires At the smartbar? thats sounds simple enough... does the smart bar disconnect have the same function as the lockers, in the way that 12V power disconnects the bar no matter what conditions exist?
That's a really great question. Which wire is the 12v power side of the smart bar for the coupler?
I’m not 100% sure but I think all the sway bar disconnect circuitry is internal in the SmartBar. Maybe PitSlave could chime in on this without divulging too many of his secrets. :poke:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:52 pm

I totally agree! Mike gets full credit and a man-card merit badge for being the first new gen guy with the stones to do this mod on his rig and document it! :rockon:

After looking at the wire connector diagram for the SmartBar, I see what he means about duplicate wire colors. Why would Dodge/Ram do that when they have a full spectrum of colors to choose from? :angry:
Reloaderguy wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:11 pm
PWJouster wrote: relay power and ground the locker wires At the smartbar? thats sounds simple enough... does the smart bar disconnect have the same function as the lockers, in the way that 12V power disconnects the bar no matter what conditions exist?
I’m not 100% sure but I think all the sway bar disconnect circuitry is internal in the SmartBar. Maybe PitSlave could chime in on this without divulging too many of his secrets. :poke:
I was banging my head over that "Light Gray and Yellow and Yellow and White color choice. Ok, maybe when brand new, but I spent 5 mins cleaning and getting out my light and being sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. Worst color combo ever! Yellow and orange weren't bad.

I used the EVO JK/Rubicon manual disconnect on my sway bar. If that is what someone is confused about.
-------
------

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm

I used the EVO JK/Rubicon manual disconnect on my sway bar. If that is what someone is confused about.
I think they are wondering is if one could simply overide and operate the original sway bar setup with a separate switch, like you just did with the lockers.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 pm

olyelr wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 pm
MikeKey wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm

I think they are wondering is if one could simply overide and operate the original sway bar setup with a separate switch, like you just did with the lockers.
It's possible based on how the mechanism works, but I dunno if you would be able to wire directly into the harness itself. That doesn't seem likely.

However..... take a look here. I just took this photo of the smart bar control module opened up. The sway bar disconnect acts like some sort of plunger. Then you have a red and white wire leading to it, along with two smaller black wires. I'm assuming that's a bit like the lockers, based on the diagrams in this thread. 12v power, 12v ground, and sensor. You would have to crack it open though I think to bypass it.
smart-bar-2.jpg
-------
------

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Yes you might be on to something there. The 3rd wire might be for a sensor, to notify the computer what location its in.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:30 am

You could hardwire the smart bar but I’m almost sure it would be internal splicing, so you’d pull the housing like in Mike’s pic, drill a new hole into the housing and splice the hardwire wires through the new hole to those wires inside.

The third wire is the sensor wire, correct. The mechanism is a solenoid and acts like a start motor solenoid, but uses a sensor line instead of a control line.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 am

Here's what another member said about the sway bar disconnect on another thread, however he was talking about a 3rd gen. He says that it's a motor not a solenoid, which makes sense because when I operate my sway bar it sounds more like a motor spinning than a solenoid clicking.
Spikethedog wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:44 pm
That wouldnt work, the swaybar motor only turns one way, pushing the shift fork into disengaged position against a spring. Theres a plunger besides it that registers depth and when its happy it sends power to a an electro magnetic brake that is fitted at the end of the motor and i would assume simultaniously (sp?) shuts off power to the motor. Then all you need to Do is cut power to that brake to release it and let the spring push back the whole assembly back to engaged.(not sure if that will make sense to anybody its the best i can describe it in writing. Its a clever but overly complicated design imo no wonder it never work that long) I was thinking about a way to use a a 3 pos starter style switch that you hold for a pre determined amount of time then when you release it from "start" to "on" would actuate that brake but I came to the conclusion that a cable system would be the simper way to go about it. My swaybar has been on a shelf for a few months now in the meantime and i havent missed it yet... :box:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:25 am

Can you jumper the logic board to bypass the speed sensor?

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:24 am

I'll leave this here in case someone else in the future wants to hardwire their lockers from the SmartBar connector. Edit: These are the wires you would cut or splice into to apply power and ground to the lockers. And actually you might not even need to cut the ground wires, it would require further testing to confirm whether ground is constant or controlled by the module. I'm still in favor of using OE connectors for hardwiring rather than cutting wires.

154963830000.GIF
Last edited by Retired BLM Rig on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:40 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 am
Here's what another member said about the sway bar disconnect on another thread, however he was talking about a 3rd gen. He says that it's a motor not a solenoid, which makes sense because when I operate my sway bar it sounds more like a motor spinning than a solenoid clicking.
I purchased a smart bar off ebay from a 2008 and it's identical. Even plugged straight into my harness. So they've never made any physical changes to the smart bar in years. FYI.

----

Motor, solenoid, whatever. The EVO thing seems to work with just a spring and a bolt that pushes against whatever it is the smartbar part in my picture pushes against. That seems to disconnect the bar. I didn't spend a bunch of time looking in there to figure out the mechanics. That's why I called it a plunger, that thing must move outwards.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-------
------