Hardwired Lockers with OEM Knob

Discussions including Electrical / Lighting & Accessories / Onboard Air
redneck1
Model Year: 2013

Re: Hardwired Lockers with OEM Knob

Post by redneck1 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Sure would like to get mine by passed ,thinking of taking mine in user factory bumper to bumper warranty because my fromt takes a hour to get it to lock in lol

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:37 am

Sorry to say, but this is what happened the last time Shelby took over a locker bypass project. The original bypass, by rgory, was handed over to him because rgory no longer had the time to produce them. It turned into what you are seeing now. I had to bug him for quite a while to get mine. I hope he is just waiting for parts.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:09 am

I'm sorry for you folks that can't get one, I'm sure glad I did and hate to rub it in but Both axles lock right then, not 15', not 10', no swerving, right then! No matter the speed, transfer case position, nothing. Turn the knob and its locked up like Fort Knox!
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

SnakeEyes
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by SnakeEyes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:15 pm

So does mine on my '15 since I hardwired them. I can hear the actuators locking it. Only downside is I domt get to use the OEM knob to do it.

redneck1

Post by redneck1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:29 pm

I think it's time for a class action law suit on dodge and ram :rockon: :rockon:

Snowsled
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Snowsled » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:40 pm

redneck1 wrote:I think it's time for a class action law suit on dodge and ram :rockon: :rockon:

I don't like lawyers getting fat off of those things... only costs consumers in the end.

Sure would love one of those plug n play kits though :cash:

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Jack187 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:57 pm

It might not be dead yet. the last thing CajunPW (Shelby) said was he was ordering more parts. I've tried him with PMs and emails from 3 different forums, including this one.
No response from him at all. He doesn't show to have logged in on this forum in over a month.

I've also tried to contact Myoung84 (Morgan) in hopes of getting in contact with CajunPw through him, but he doesn't respond to email or PMs on the same three sites.
The PWR forum shows he is logging in regularly and is receiving my PMs, but no responses with him so far.

Looks like the only thing we can do is wait to see if Shelby shows back up.
2015 Tradesman (PW option), 37X12.50R17LT Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, AEV Katla 8.5" wheels

redneck1

Post by redneck1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:11 pm

Snowsled wrote:
redneck1 wrote:I think it's time for a class action law suit on dodge and ram :rockon: :rockon:

I don't like lawyers getting fat off of those things... only costs consumers in the end.

Sure would love one of those plug n play kits though :cash:
True, good point, I think it's going to be a rocker switch run to ground for me because even if he comes back there's prolly going to be a year wait list I'd say unless your already on it

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Anyone have a diagram for hardwiring the lockers? My smart bar shit the bed.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:14 am

The only diagrams I have are for the old 4 pin system. I read somewhere that they changed the axle connector on the 14+ trucks from 4 pin to 6 pin. I don't know if they changed the wire colors or not. If your truck is still 4 pin, let us know for future reference.

locker_plug_connector.jpeg
Hardwire Diagram 1.png
Source is HOT (12v+), Return is Ground (12v-).
If I can remember, I'll try to look up a 2015 diagram at work tomorrow.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:14 am
The only diagrams I have are for the old 4 pin system. I read somewhere that they changed the axle connector on the 14+ trucks from 4 pin to 6 pin. I don't know if they changed the wire colors or not. If your truck is still 4 pin, let us know for future reference.

Hardwire Diagram 1.png

Well I did find these on the forum mentioned for a 2015...
image.jpg
image-1.jpg
image-1.jpg (17.04 KiB) Viewed 8720 times
-------
------

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Adam_C » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 am

I may have my kit, still new in box from Cajun, for sale shortly. Pretty sure it was one of the last kits from a while back. I’ll post in classifieds if I decide to get rid of my truck. It was for a ‘13, so not sure if it works with the newer models???

Adam

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:06 am

MikeKey wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 am
Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:14 am

Hardwire Diagram 1.png

Well I did find these on the forum mentioned for a 2015...

image.jpg
image-1.jpg
The pictures you found correspond to what I found as well. So the rear is a new 6 pin connector and the front is still the same 4 pin. The wire colors look like they still match. If you decide to hardwire, don't cut your harness, the connectors are available on Ebay. Here's the front four pin connector and here's the rear six pin connector.
If you got these blank connector plugs, you could make waterproof caps for your O.E. harness connectors and tie them up to the frame for safe keeping. You would also need this type of terminal crimper plier. You could even make a tee harness with diodes if you wanted to (right Reloaderguy?). The benefit that I see to hardwiring is that you're never at the mercy of a faulty SmartBar while you're out on the trail. The weakest link then becomes the actuator inside the diff. Also there's no restriction to transfer case range or speed limit.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take (OE repair, hardwire or elusive bypass). :patriot:

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:01 am

i will pay someone $500 or more to fab me a Bypass wire harness..

all i want to do is have complete discretion on use of the smart bar and lockers.... why is this not easier on a 2018?

3 red safety Toggle switches on the panel under the Light selector dial to left of steering wheel
FRLOCKER
RRLOCKER
SWAYBAR

ON triggers the lockers or swaybar disconnect
OFF reverts to normal, even if i have to do a fancy engine off, blink three times while yelling POWERWAGON ritual to reverse the action.

i still dont understand why i have to become an automotive electrician to get this done...(i cant trust many techs to dig into the new truck, cant find anyone willing, and i dont have the time to investigate the setup myself)
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am

Because this truck and the majority of most vehicles on the road built in the last 5 years or more are inundated with "save you from yourself" features indirectly designed by accountants and lawyers who know jack shit about how any of these features are used.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 am

PWJouster wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:01 am

all i want to do is have complete discretion on use of the smart bar and lockers.... why is this not easier on a 2018?

3 red safety Toggle switches on the panel under the Light selector dial to left of steering wheel
FRLOCKER
RRLOCKER
SWAYBAR

OFF reverts to normal, even if i have to do a fancy engine off, blink three times while yelling POWERWAGON ritual to reverse the action.

i still dont understand why i have to become an automotive electrician to get this done...(i cant trust many techs to dig into the new truck, cant find anyone willing, and i dont have the time to investigate the setup myself)

You'll be waiting a long time. Even the old bypass didn't work like that. You're talking about hardwire and bypass together. The problem with the bypass was that on the new trucks, it tricked the truck into thinking you were in 4Lo so that you could engage lockers whenever. But the newer trucks with the 6.4L Hemi have throttle mapping in 4Lo. Very nice, but you don't want that in 4Hi or 2Hi.

And so it's been in, endless development.
NickTF wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am
Because this truck and the majority of most vehicles on the road built in the last 5 years or more are inundated with "save you from yourself" features indirectly designed by accountants and lawyers who know jack shit about how any of these features are used.

It's not really "save you from yourself features"; so much as the way the whole system was designed, to make sure one thing was happening before another thing happens.

For some reason, they figured you'd want the sway bar going over 18mph. Becuase no one does whoops in the desert. :roll:

For some goofy ass reason, the sway bar is the whole key to the system. That whole pinout for my broken plug seems to indicate there may actually be a printed logic board in there. I can't see any other reason for the smart bar to be receiving signals about what the lockers are doing.

Hardwiring the lockers though is probably a good option, since you can just turn them on whenever you want.
-------
------

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 am

MikeKey wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 am
PWJouster wrote:

FRLOCKER
RRLOCKER
SWAYBAR

You'll be waiting a long time. Even the old bypass didn't work like that. You're talking about hardwire and bypass together. The problem with the bypass was that on the new trucks, it tricked the truck into thinking you were in 4Lo so that you could engage lockers whenever. But the newer trucks with the 6.4L Hemi have throttle mapping in 4Lo. Very nice, but you don't want that in 4Hi or 2Hi.

NickTF wrote:

It's not really "save you from yourself features"; so much as the way the whole system was designed, to make sure one thing was happening before another thing happens.

For some reason, they figured you'd want the sway bar going over 18mph. Becuase no one does whoops in the desert. :roll:

For some goofy ass reason, the sway bar is the whole key to the system. That whole pinout for my broken plug seems to indicate there may actually be a printed logic board in there. I can't see any other reason for the smart bar to be receiving signals about what the lockers are doing.

Hardwiring the lockers though is probably a good option, since you can just turn them on whenever you want.
Your example proves my point. Not being able to defeat throttle limiting without pulling a fuse for offroad is another. The lockers needing to be talked dirty to for engagement without a bypass is a third.......... I've beat this horse to death. When I say save you from yourself I will add that includes saving you from damaging the truck just as much as any real safety concern for the driver/occupants. With the 5 year 100k warranty my truck came with (and available life time warranties) there is no doubt a large factor of keeping knuckle heads from engaging the lockers going 15 plus mph while turning.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:38 am

$1000 final offer
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 am

There is in fact a circuit board inside the smart bar. Oddly, AAM provides smart bars for some military vehicles now, I wonder if there are many differences from the civilian counterpart? With as much trouble as they cause us it seems like a recipe for disaster lol
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:00 pm

NickTF wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 am
MikeKey wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 am
PWJouster wrote:

FRLOCKER
RRLOCKER
SWAYBAR

NickTF wrote:

Your example proves my point. Not being able to defeat throttle limiting without pulling a fuse for offroad is another. The lockers needing to be talked dirty to for engagement without a bypass is a third.......... I've beat this horse to death. When I say save you from yourself I will add that includes saving you from damaging the truck just as much as any real safety concern for the driver/occupants. With the 5 year 100k warranty my truck came with (and available life time warranties) there is no doubt a large factor of keeping knuckle heads from engaging the lockers going 15 plus mph while turning.
It doesn’t limit the throttle in 4Lo, it changes how the throttle reacts to soften response to keep it from getting jerky and to help keep things from snapping. I like the 4Lo throttle mapping, which applies to every auto trans Power Wagon from 2005-present.

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

i'm 99% sure i've been in 4lo trying to get tire spin only to have my throttle input limited. I'm aware of the throttle mapping change. I know for certain i've gotten feedback through my throttle pedal when in 4lo and turning in slick surfaces. Whatever it is, i'm not interested in it and have no ability to get rid of it without pulling the fuse to abs.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:31 pm

I have been in 4 Lo, fully locked up front & rear, 4th gear, 4-5000 rpm's, in snow, throwing snow 10' in the air with all 4 tires...........looked like a snowblower, :lol: . I was plowing through 3-4' of snow, going up a hill, after I pulled a Chevy 3/4 ton 4 door out of said snow. He was trying to get up the hill, with open diffs f & r, to get a big box of snowmobile trail signs, that he left there when he got called to a fire, before it snowed. But mine is a 3rd Gen, sooo....... . Mine lowers sensitivity but not rpm's. I think it is designed more for bouncing over off road obstacles like logs & rocks to avoid driveline damage. It still sucks IMO.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Rodeoflyer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:32 pm

If Colibri wants to use my truck as a project truck I'll let him tear it limb from limb to hardwire my lockers. At this point f-the warranty. If it works he can take PWJousters final offer money, do his, and everybody will be happy :wink:

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:48 am

seriously....$1000 paypal, if you can wire and fab a harness that i can clip into, or onto, the locker wiring, to a relay, switched in the cab, while bypassing the OEM knob, and leaving it still functioning but unnecessary. does that make sense?

@rodeoflyer i guess im paying for yours.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:14 am

If you just want a plug and play bypass that uses its own switches it would be easy. All you need are OE connectors, SPST switches, marine relays, rectifier diodes, wire, and ring terminals. Make a T-harness that goes between the factory harness and the locker, put the diode upstream of the relayed power source on the OE harness side of the new T-harness. You'll probably get a fault code for the 4wd system when in use because the sensors will tell the computer the lockers are engaged without the smartbar. Pretty easy system though. The real challenge is making the lockers work with the rotary knob not their own switches.