Fender work on 4th gen

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Fender work on 4th gen

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:15 pm

Showing some pics here after the fact of how to trim the pinch weld with zero cutting of the fender well and only minor cutting of the fender flare. Most You Tube vids have you butchering the plastic fender well to get at and cut the pinch well with a metal cut off wheel. I prefer to keep debris and salt out of that area. So put away your cut off wheel. Get an 8 mm socket to remove a few of the lower fender flare nuts. Get 2 bungees of proper length to pull the flare and fender well out of the way (will explain). A drill with step bit (will explain that with following pics). A Dremel w/ thin cut off wheel (to cut nub on bottom of flare). A small electric hacksaw, (not sawsall) with narrow keyhole blade and Diablo blades (get a few of each). This will be used to cut the pinch weld. Your choice of rust prevention to coat the cut area (I used black Rust-Oleum) A torch and large metal spoon and gloves to heat and push back the fender well.
This will require a little more effort than the butcher method, but I believe will be better for your truck in the long run.
This will be several posts, so wait until end to comment...
The first few pics are the new wheel/tire combo...now with proper black center cap. These are 37" x 13.5" Toyo MTs on Raceline Avenger 17" x 9" x +22mm offset rims. I have zero rubbing on the fender now and minor rubbing at full lock on the upper Thuren control link.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

:rockon: :chug:

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: Fender work on 4th gen

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:20 pm

Here's what gets cut off...note a couple holes drilled with the step bit in the pinch well. These are relief holes where I could begin in a different direction with the keyhole blade enough to switch to Diablo blades which cuts better, stats sharper.ImageImage

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Here are where the fender flare nub gets cut off and where the pinch weld is positioned once you cut off the flare nub. You will reveal about a 1.5" of the pinch weld once the nub of the flare is cut off...ImageImageImage

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:32 pm

After cutting the nub off the flare, take a couple of the lower flare retainer nuts off with 8mm socket. Use a short bungee to hook in the lower flare hole and pull that out a bit, attach bungee to tube step if you have one. Use step bit to make a hole in the furthest most corner of the plastic fender well. Another longer bungee can be hooked here to pull the plastic fender well out for access behind. I left my wheel on and turned out. I attached this bungee over the wheel and hooked on to a wheel spoke.ImageImage

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Here's the Milwaukee hack saw I used and 2 different blades. I used the Diablo blades to cut longer straighter areas more effectively. I used the step bit to make relief cuts in the pinch weld from underneath/ behind the fender well. The key hole bit was used to redirect and make long enough cuts to change out to the Diablo blade. First cut with a Diablo blade from outside where to can easily access. Cut vertically up until you can't go any further without cutting into something you don't want to.Image

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:55 pm

At this point you have to get under the truck. Get something to rest your head on, because you will be reach up underneath and behind the fender well. I don't have a picture of this but I have copied here again the piece of the pinch weld you have to cut off. Notice the first drill hole done with a step bit, about half way up from the bottom. Make it big enough to fit the key hole blade. Cut downward from this hole with keyhole blade until big enough to fit a Diablo blade. Switchout blades. Your aiming to cut downward to meet up with the cut you started from the bottom. When you get close to the first cut take care and keep the blade angled up so you don't cut anything you don't want to here. You will eventually cut through and join the two cuts. Switch back to the keyhole blade. Go back to the hole you made with the step bit. Cut upwards but slightly back toward the fender to start tapering the cut. Once you've cut a little switch to the Diablo blade for better progress. You may need to repeat the process with another relief hole to continue directing back toward the fender well until you finish the cut.Image

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:59 pm

Spray paint the cut pinch weld at this point. Remove the bungees. Reattach the flare retainer nuts.

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Use a torch to heat up the plastic fender well where it needs to be pushed back. Move the heat around a bit. You don't want it to catch fire or melt a hole through it. It will get a bit melty and smear a bit. Use the heat and a large metal spoon to message the fender back toward the newly clearanced pinch weld. The plastic will smear a bit, but will remain intact. When you take away the heat hold pressure on the spoon until the plastic cools enough to hold itself in place.ImageImageImage

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:10 pm

Done!

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:43 pm

Your directions were perfect. Mine turned out just like yours. Thanks!

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:35 pm

Lol. It appears you needed just a smidge more trimming.

EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by EasyDoesIt » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:19 am

Great write up. This should be a sticky.
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

TommyDuncan
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by TommyDuncan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:24 am

Just ordered the same exact wheel/tire combo(except they are calling them +20 offset, and in bronze). Not sure if they fit any different on an 18' but this is a great write up!
Thank you.

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 pm

TommyDuncan wrote:Just ordered the same exact wheel/tire combo(except they are calling them +20 offset, and in bronze). Not sure if they fit any different on an 18' but this is a great write up!
Thank you.
Sorry, typo. I meant +20. These are the machine w/ black.

SimonandSimonBeast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:40 pm

EasyDoesIt wrote:Great write up. This should be a sticky.
Thank you sir. I wish I would have taken some pictures or vid while I was doing it, but I had limited time and was running out of day light. I had to figure out how to do it, and what tools to use during the process. If I had to do it now, I think I could do it in a 3rd the time.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:27 pm

Nice job.
Your pics and descriptions will certainly save others time :cheers:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook