Brakes slow to release.

sdeen45

Brakes slow to release.

Post by sdeen45 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:13 am

My brakes are slow to release after stopping and whenever I put the truck in drive. Normally takes a few seconds to start creeping forward once in drive. Brakes also feel a bit spongy.
Also, non of the wheels or diffs feel hot to the touch after driving.
Took the truck to a brake place and they checked the pads and rotors and said they were fine.
Where should I look first?
2005 Power Wagon

Thanks,
Sam

Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Brakes slow to release.

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:08 am

I would start with the master cylinder. Look for contaminated fluid, like if somebody accidentally put in the wrong kind of fluid. It will cause the rubber seals to swell resulting in slow release and eventually no release. If it is contaminated fluid, you're going to want to super-flush the system before it gets to the rubber in the hoses and calipers.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would replace hoses next.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:14 am

Pistons could have rust on them. If the rubber seals are bad, water gets in there and causes them to rust. As the pads wear down, the Piston comes further out and more surface is exposed. You can remover the rubber seal and clean the piston surface a few times before having to replace them.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:16 am

The slide pins on all year dodges are horrible for seizing. As soon as the protective boot gets cut that pin seizes. Can cause some funky issues, rapid brake wear, occasional squealing that comes and goes, changes in brake feel. Do what the other guys said first to check the fluid because the slide pins take longer to check, you’re basically fully disassembling the brakes.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 pm

Couple of things you can do. As mentioned. The slide pins need regular greasing. Being an '05. A flush is needed. My '08 had an issue with the rubber brake hoses on the front calipers. I switched them out for a stainless brake lines. Rebuilding the calipers is starting to get harder to do because hardly anyone is selling rebuild kits. Forget about finding the pistons if you need them. So it's rebuilt calipers if you go that route. If you are going this far. Remove your rear rotors and look at the e-brake shoes. I had one on each side separate the material off the shoe.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '19 AOAA,

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: