Overland 1.5 inch Spring w/King OEM 2.5 Shock

trailerpup
Model Year: 2018

Overland 1.5 inch Spring w/King OEM 2.5 Shock

Post by trailerpup » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:03 pm

New 2018 PW owner, converted from Tundra.

I just received King 2.5 shocks and installed the rears. Can I run the Thuren 1.5 inch Overland spring with these shocks? On my Tundra the front lift (King coil overs) was pretty easy to install (for a first timer). I also swapped out the Tundra upper control arms with Camburgs when I installed the Kings. All in all, it was pretty easy to do. I am wondering if I can tackle swapping out front springs on the PW. The King front shock resi mounts require the front spring to basically be removed anyway...

Swapping the front springs out would also motivate me to get the Synergy drag link to replace the fubar welded unit the truck came with.

I would want to add the 1 inch Traxda spacer for the rear to keep the rake. If I can do the front springs myself I figure I can install spacers in the rear.

Thanks for any information folks are willing to provide.

Great forum, I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_E0162.JPG

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Overland 1.5 inch Spring w/King OEM 2.5 Shock

Post by olyelr » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:29 am

If you changed out coilovers on a Tundra I would think you would have no prob changing out the springs on the power wagon. Biggest thing is to watch out for the brake lines and electrical lines getting stretched when dropping the axles down. Unhooking the track bars and sway bars helps a ton as well.

Good luck to you and keep us updated on progress :cheers:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:52 am

Whoa, I’m confused. I’m a dealer/installer for thurens parts and I’m happy to give you info to do the work yourself. What is the exact setup you’ve got going on that is different from stock?

Did you buy the shocks direct from King? If so, they’re really the wrong shocks. Both the dimensions and the valving are going to be way off unfortunately. If they’re thuren or Carli shocks you’re good to go. You can run King’s in-house shocks but there are sacrifices and you’re not able to play with the springs like you’re supposed to, and they should probably be revalved before use.

You don’t HAVE to remove the front coils if you like he stock ones, the resi mount from thuren doesn’t need the coils removed.

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Oilbrnr » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:08 am

I'll let DWagon help you with the front situation, but in chatting with you over on WTW, you have a FWC and the EXP1 rear bumper, the spacer is fine, but you really should think about AirLift/Daystar and the Thuren rear trackbar/relo IMHO.
2016 Thuren 3.0/2.5 and stabilizer, F/R tracks, Front springs, OEM/AirLift-Daystar rear.
2017 FWCamper - Hawk