What PSI for Thuren/King Steering Damper?

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by thedriver21 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Anyone who has the Thuren/King damper, what PSI do you have it set at? Did you keep it at the factory 100 psi? Anyone lower or higher?
2016 PW Laramie-Flame Red

2013 PW Tradesman-Copperhead Pearl RIP

Bigdodge

Re: What PSI for Thuren/King Steering Damper?

Post by Bigdodge » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:11 pm

It's not adjustable. Comes pre charged. The older fox version I have on my 99 is and anything over about 60 or so would cause it to push the wheel too much.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:39 pm

Bigdodge wrote:It's not adjustable. Comes pre charged. The older fox version I have on my 99 is and anything over about 60 or so would cause it to push the wheel too much.

It is definitely adjustable.

If you’ve still got the 2013 you’ll add pressure to account for road crown (more pressure will push left harder). You can go in 20psi increments and see how you like it, I wouldn’t go above 200psi or below 70psi without contacting thuren for a safe number. You can probably go lower on the steering damper than on a shock without having cavitation issues.

Bigdodge

Post by Bigdodge » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Woops, my mistake. I didn't see a Valve when installing it so assumed it was set. My mistake.

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Oilbrnr » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Neither did mine.
2016 Thuren 3.0/2.5 and stabilizer, F/R tracks, Front springs, OEM/AirLift-Daystar rear.
2017 FWCamper - Hawk

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Rodeoflyer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Mine needs an adapter of some sort. Thuren said they would provide the adapter eventually. It's like a King 2.0.

Bigdodge

Post by Bigdodge » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:22 am

this is what is on his website for the king damper. I just never read the full description of it.

Adjusting the pressure is easy if you would like to do it. Some vehicles have a strong pull from the tire tread design, or other factors. On the 2013+ trucks adding more pressure will "push right," to counter a left pull. The most common tires with a built in left pull are Nitto Trail Grapplers. 

Adjusting the pressure can be done two ways. The more precise way to do it is to buy the special charge fitting, that we will offer for sale soon, on the universal parts page. The alternate process is SUPER easy, and often how we do it in the shop. Basically you remove the small allen head charge cap to gain access to the buried schrader valve, and just push a standard rubber tip blow gun up to the hole, and pressurize from 100 to 250 psi. Using the blow-gun technique you do need a nitrogen tank with a good regulator, or set pressure in your clean filtered air compressor tank, so you know what pressure you are putting in. The pressure required to over-ride and open the schrader spring is about 5psi, so if you have your regulator/tank at 105psi, you will be putting right at 100psi in the damper.