Well...this sucks

kgries

Well...this sucks

Post by kgries » Sun May 12, 2019 9:55 am

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Was wondering why my truck seemed a little bouncy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Well...this sucks

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 am

Yes it’s happened to others. What shocks are you running (type/length)?

kgries

Post by kgries » Sun May 12, 2019 10:02 am

Rodeoflyer wrote:Yes it’s happened to others. What shocks are you running (type/length)?

They are thuren 3” kings.

I hope I can get a new shock mount welded on

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Well...this sucks

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 12, 2019 10:04 am

It can be welded back on. It’s usually an incorrect shock length or the use of shock extenders as the cause.

What stage are your King’s?

kgries

Post by kgries » Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 am

Rodeoflyer wrote:It can be welded back on. It’s usually an incorrect shock length or the use of shock extenders as the cause.

What stage are your King’s?

Annoying lol, just what I wanted to spend money on. Fronts are stage 4

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Well...this sucks

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 12, 2019 10:15 am

Yeah the 4th gen shock mounts are a notably weak spot. I’m stage 5 front and have beat on mine pretty good for about 70k miles now. I probably need to take a close(er) look at them than I do with my regular underbody and suspension checks.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun May 12, 2019 10:20 am

Are you using Thuren springs? His full kit? I'd call Don. That shouldn't happen with his stuff. It's usually from shock extensions..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

kgries

Post by kgries » Sun May 12, 2019 10:23 am

Rodeoflyer wrote:Yeah the 4th gen shock mounts are a notably weak spot. I’m stage 5 front and have beat on mine pretty good for about 70k miles now. I probably need to take a close(er) look at them than I do with my regular underbody and suspension checks.

Sad, I only have 14.5k miles on the truck
TankerZak wrote:Are you using Thuren springs? His full kit? I'd call Don. That shouldn't happen with his stuff. It's usually from shock extensions..

Yeah it’s a full kit. I’ll get in touch with him, I doubt it’s the shocks fault though

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 12, 2019 10:30 am

From the looks at the little dirt/oil marks it appears that you’ve fully compressed them a few times. Are you running boogie bump stops?

kgries

Post by kgries » Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 am

Rodeoflyer wrote:From the looks at the little dirt/oil marks it appears that you’ve fully compressed them a few times. Are you running boogie bump stops?

Oh I for sure have, I’ve definitely used the suspension, just didn’t expect a shock mount to fail on the way to work lol. Yes I am

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Well...this sucks

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 12, 2019 10:36 am

This area is not welded. Have them weld that part. Not sure why the engineers thought that was smart. This should never occur within the limitations of stock shocks and bumpstops but still...

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun May 12, 2019 10:58 am

Shock mounts are weak BUT if all the geometry is correct should never break because they should never see downward force. The shock should stop before that. The bumpstop stops the downward force before force is applied to the shock mount. In the up swing the shock mount would see some light extending force as the shock tops out. Either the geometry is off from improper install, improper design, or the shock isn't working correctly for whatever reason. For all of those things I'd call Don. I'm also going to go check my shock mounts as we should have the same setup...

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Well...this sucks

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 12, 2019 11:01 am

Absolutely. I’m wondering if the boogies are allowing too much compression. Don’t the kings have some some kind of internal bumpstop? It will be interesting to hear what Don says.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun May 12, 2019 11:12 am

Rodeoflyer wrote:Absolutely. I’m wondering if the boogies are allowing too much compression. Don’t the kings have some some kind of internal bumpstop? It will be interesting to hear what Don says.

Yeah, not sure. But I have the boogies too so I shoulda broke a shock mount by now. What springs do you have? The .5 inch or the 1.5 inch PW springs?

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun May 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Damage Wagon burned in my shock mounts when he put on the truss. The factory welds on the shock mounts are terrible and I was uncomfortable with then in stock form. I'm surprised guys didn't rip them off jumping their trucks at PWiM.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Yep, catching air without limit straps probably wouldn’t be a great idea.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Sun May 12, 2019 1:40 pm

TankerZak wrote:Shock mounts are weak BUT if all the geometry is correct should never break because they should never see downward force. The shock should stop before that. The bumpstop stops the downward force before force is applied to the shock mount. In the up swing the shock mount would see some light extending force as the shock tops out. Either the geometry is off from improper install, improper design, or the shock isn't working correctly for whatever reason. For all of those things I'd call Don. I'm also going to go check my shock mounts as we should have the same setup...

If you think the shock mounts don’t see any force when the shock is stroking, you’re confused about how shocks work.

John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Well...this sucks

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 12, 2019 1:58 pm

That’s why I was wondering what stage he’s running. My stage 5’s have massive damping. It’s incredibly hard to fully compress them (high speed) short of catching air. The mounts are taking a lot of force.

When I get around to having my axle tubes welded I’ll have them do the shock mounts.

Last edited by Rodeoflyer on Sun May 12, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
TankerZak wrote:Shock mounts are weak BUT if all the geometry is correct should never break because they should never see downward force. The shock should stop before that. The bumpstop stops the downward force before force is applied to the shock mount. In the up swing the shock mount would see some light extending force as the shock tops out. Either the geometry is off from improper install, improper design, or the shock isn't working correctly for whatever reason. For all of those things I'd call Don. I'm also going to go check my shock mounts as we should have the same setup...

If you think the shock mounts don’t see any force when the shock is stroking, you’re confused about how shocks work.

I don't think they see zero force but they shouldn't see shearing force...

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sun May 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Those shock mounts are seeing a TON of force. Especially with 3.0’s that are capable of putting out twice the force of a 2.5. The factory mounts are *usually* just fine but occasionally there’s an issue like this. Usually from true mechanical bottoming of the shock where the force spikes, but also from the fatigue provided from standard shock damping. Like Reloader said, it was comedy club when we looked at his mounts. They need welding. Even the geometry if they’re welded isn’t great with the design of the mount.

kgries

Post by kgries » Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 pm

DamageWagon wrote:

Those shock mounts are seeing a TON of force. Especially with 3.0’s that are capable of putting out twice the force of a 2.5. The factory mounts are *usually* just fine but occasionally there’s an issue like this. Usually from true mechanical bottoming of the shock where the force spikes, but also from the fatigue provided from standard shock damping. Like Reloader said, it was comedy club when we looked at his mounts. They need welding. Even the geometry if they’re welded isn’t great with the design of the mount.
Guess I should get the other one fully welded as well then. Hopefully it doesn’t cost too much Image I have other mods I’d like to spend the money on

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Well...this sucks

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Maybe Don should advertise upgraded lower shock mounts with 4gen 3.0 sales.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sun May 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:Maybe Don should advertise upgraded lower shock mounts with 4gen 3.0 sales.

There are ‘secret menu’ options that are not sold unless the customer understands just that. Not for the average user.

This is still a special case and is not very common, and I’ve seen as many stock mounts fail from bone stock shocks as from performance shocks so it really comes down to how those mounts were welded rather than how they’re used. Shocks will fatigue the mounts through normal operation. Improper shock length causing bottoming will also add Impulse to the mix which is a whole different issue they causss them to fail fast (read: shock extensions are bad)

kgries

Post by kgries » Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 pm

Got it fixed along with the drivers side as well

ImageImageImage

Cost me about 110 to get done, wish I had known about that weakness prior, I would have just gotten it done before it broke

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Good to hear!