Suspension Recommendations for FWC Hawk Camper

brad21
Model Year: 2018

Post by brad21 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:23 pm

We've put in an order for a Four Wheel Camper Hawk model. Dry weight is 1100 lbs. Looking for suspension recommendations from anyone who has put a camper on their PW.

I've been chatting with Chris at Thuren and he's saying do the camper without any suspension mods first to see what it's like. We've got a 2018 PW.

I know we're gonna be over our max payload right away fully loaded, anyone got real-world experience here? Kinda scares me to not do anything right away...
2018 Mojave Sand 'Pee Wee'

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: Suspension Recommendations for FWC Hawk Camper

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Chris is spot on. You shouldn't do anything until you get the camper. We can all name things that make good upgrades, but it's all dependant on how you load it up and how it feels.

I run a RTT and tow an Airstream, and my setup is dialed in for me without Airbags. Other dudes tow heavier and need bags. It really depends.

I think he's given you great advice. It's gonna squat off the bat for sure. But when you've got the FWC in the bed, you'll be able to start making plans more accurately.

Why waste money before you need too?

Not only that, but if you're thinking about Kings and what not, he probably told you it's good to know the weight. We tuned mine for the weight I carry. And I knew that from a visit to the cat scales.

I say wait. But that's me.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Except for replacing the tires and the rear track bar... those you can do.... criminal design items right there...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:49 am

Yea, I would get the camper and load it up for a short practice trip to see how it acts before doing anything. Then start planning upgrades based on how it reacts. Maybe take it to the scales to get front and rear and overall weights too so you will have that info for them.

And keep us updated!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Having a base weight is a great idea, since then you can really see the effects of each addition.
-------
------

brad21

Post by brad21 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:28 am

Came across this article, seems like good info: https://outdoorx4.com/stories/ram-power ... dium=email

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:00 am

brad21 wrote:Came across this article, seems like good info: https://outdoorx4.com/stories/ram-power ... dium=email
That guy did NOT know what he was doing. Don't follow that advice. There are better solutions and better ways to build to do what you want to do. This forum has better advice. His airbag selection will bite him. They accounted for the lift of the PW with the drop bracket but they slayed the articulation. They also didn't account for the droop of the rear axle. Those bags will over extend. He also didn't know or didn't address the rear track bar which is a major issue on these trucks with weight in the bed.

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:13 pm

brad21 wrote:Came across this article, seems like good info: https://outdoorx4.com/stories/ram-power ... dium=email
Great example of how not to do it. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Ugh, I follow that guy on IG and he had asked about the suspension. Glad to see he took my advice and threw it out the window. I'm really getting tired of offering advice for it to be ignored. Zak is right. That might bite him one day.

But I've never seen him do anything serious beyond dirt roads, so maybe not.
-------
------

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:48 pm

You’re in Portland right? When you get the camper let me know and we can do a test drive. I do a lot of work with these trucks suspension and have my own camper. Been down that road before!

Marcus
tech@dethloffmfg.com

PS I don’t like campers on power wagons. Especially 4WC’s. They’re HEAVY. Throw that 1100lb estimate out the window. Most of their campers are in the 15-1600lb+ range once you add options, water and minimal gear inside them.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Low_Sky wrote:

Ugh, I follow that guy on IG and he had asked about the suspension. Glad to see he took my advice and threw it out the window. I'm really getting tired of offering advice for it to be ignored. Zak is right. That might bite him one day.

You obviously didn’t read about all that extreme fully locked front and rear axle articulation he did that one time when he needed to write an article about his truck.

John
Alaska
My build thread

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 pm
You obviously didn’t read about all that extreme fully locked front and rear axle articulation he did that one time when he needed to write an article about his truck.
I'm just a keyboard warrior after all. TL;DR
-------
------

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:17 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Low_Sky wrote:

The author just dragged up an almost five year dead thread on another Ram forum to answer the question (publicize his article and try to generate some web traffic). I criticized his setup and seem to have triggered some kind of airbag nervous breakdown. I’m not into trolling and I didn’t know the guy was going to react that way, but it was hilarious.

John
Alaska
My build thread

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:21 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
BoldAdventure wrote:
Low_Sky wrote:

The author just dragged up an almost five year dead thread on another Ram forum to answer the question (publicize his article and try to generate some web traffic). I criticized his setup and seem to have triggered some kind of airbag nervous breakdown. I’m not into trolling and I didn’t know the guy was going to react that way, but it was hilarious.

A meltdown with no link is like a story with no pics. Didn't happen...

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:01 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:21 pm
Low_Sky wrote:
BoldAdventure wrote:

A meltdown with no link is like a story with no pics. Didn't happen...

BOOM

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/power- ... per.66899/
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:02 pm

“Airbag nervous breakdown” LMAO!

JPatch88

Post by JPatch88 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 pm

brad21 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:23 pm
We've put in an order for a Four Wheel Camper Hawk model. Dry weight is 1100 lbs. Looking for suspension recommendations from anyone who has put a camper on their PW.

I've been chatting with Chris at Thuren and he's saying do the camper without any suspension mods first to see what it's like. We've got a 2018 PW.

I know we're gonna be over our max payload right away fully loaded, anyone got real-world experience here? Kinda scares me to not do anything right away...
What are you looking at for your delivery date? I have a hawk coming the week of 5/20. I'll let you know how my '16 handles it if I get it before you. I'll probably end up with airbags, but will drive it around a bit first.

brad21

Post by brad21 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:14 pm

JPatch88 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 pm
brad21 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:23 pm

What are you looking at for your delivery date? I have a hawk coming the week of 5/20. I'll let you know how my '16 handles it if I get it before you. I'll probably end up with airbags, but will drive it around a bit first.
We're all set with Hellwig bags, taking delivery of our Hawk on 5/7.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri May 03, 2019 3:09 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:46 pm
Low_Sky wrote:

I'm sure you get more than I do but I get a lot of PM's and FB requests for advice. I delete them. No one wants advice, they want affirmation. Just look at this thread.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri May 03, 2019 3:33 pm

Dear sirs or madams. I have made a decision I don't want to tell you about. Would you please spend your time formulating your thoughts on the subject so that I may ignore them and possibly tell you you're wrong? Thanks in advance!

JPatch88

Post by JPatch88 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:03 pm

Lol, if I agree to listen to the advice here (as much as I can afford) hopefully I won't get pulled under the bus.

I'm assuming from the reading i've done on the site, the Airlifter 5000 ultimate with the daystar cradles is still the way to go. The guy I bought the truck from had installed the timbren rear "suspension enhancement system" which I've been meaning to remove and reinstall the stock bumpstops. Now that the snow's gone and I actually have a driveway/garage, I'll make that happen. Figure I'll plan on adding the thuren rear track bar while I'm under the truck doing everything else.

I know the power wagon/ four wheel camper isn't the perfect combo, but it's a good enough compromise for me to work with. Better than the damn Tacoma I had before this. Can always drop the camper as a home base if I can ever save enough vacation time to make it to PWIM lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue May 07, 2019 11:46 am

Those airbags are a good idea, over timbrens. Thuren trackbar is a great idea. Keep the truck low if you do suspension. Lose weight where you can.