2018 PW w/ 1.5 inch leveling kit. Shock question.

pmwigginspw
Model Year: 2018

Post by pmwigginspw » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:38 am

Looking at upgrading the stock shocks on my 2018 with a 1.5 inch Truxx leveling kit. Wondering which way to go. Fox? Thuren?
If someone could advise on what shocks are good replacements for my leveling kit and provide part numbers that would be great.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: 2018 PW w/ 1.5 inch leveling kit. Shock question.

Post by TankerZak » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:54 am

What do you need the shocks for? How do you use your truck? Are you just doing it for length for the level?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:45 pm

pmwigginspw wrote:Looking at upgrading the stock shocks on my 2018 with a 1.5 inch Truxx leveling kit. Wondering which way to go. Fox? Thuren?
If someone could advise on what shocks are good replacements for my leveling kit and provide part numbers that would be great.
My opinion... send it back for a refund. Buy Thuren 3” Hemi springs and Overland shocks (if you’re looking for an OEM-quality level, no performance increase). $495 plus shipping.

If you have the #605039 Truxxx kit, they shouldn’t even be selling that combination of parts. Installed without lowering the OEM bump stops, the shocks and spacers become the bump stop and end up hammering the shock mounts off the axle tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:06 pm

NEVER use shock extensions without bump stop drops if that’s what the kit is doing.

I am with Low Sky but I think the Overland’s are actually a nice improvement over stock, they are definitely better and the valving and stroke they have can’t be beat for the price if you just need cheap shocks.

Whichever way you go, go with shocks valved for the application. Off the shelf shocks are never valved right.

Edit: the front Overland’s can be used with stock springs but it is better to use them with a Thuren’s springs. The rear truck, to run Overland’s you must run Thuren’s coils because of their longer stroke, factory coils with rear Overland’s can fall out.
Last edited by DamageWagon on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:30 pm

What DamageWagon said. Don't be the dork who we all told repeatedly not to use the shock extensions, used them anyways and then broke his shock mounts and still argued with everyone about. :thppt:

Thuren's Overland's are pretty decent. You can use them in the front with the OE Coils, but they work best with Thuren's coils. You can email Don directly if you have questions.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/produ ... -2013.html

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/produ ... -2021.html

If you want to go fancy, you can do King 2.0's
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/produ ... 0-ifp.html
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures