Control Arms

User avatar
AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1470
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am
Model Year: 2006
Location: Delaware County, PA
Contact:

Control Arms

Post by AceMan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Which do you like and why? My lower driver OEM arm is literally banging around. Others are probably close to shot. Not like I have any money right now to do this, but it seems like if I want to continue driving it, I have no choice.

No long arms.

So far I was thinking of, and in no specific order:
  • Carli (straight or advanced)
  • DOR
  • Thuren (Alien?)
  • OEM
I know it's been posted, but thought to start a new topic until we get the forum headings straightened out.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Control Arms

Post by RustyPW » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:25 pm

For having no money. Thuren regular arms. Forget about the Alien arms. Welding required.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, 14,000 lb Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar
AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1470
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am
Model Year: 2006
Location: Delaware County, PA
Contact:

Re: Control Arms

Post by AceMan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:46 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:25 pm
For having no money. Thuren regular arms. Forget about the Alien arms. Welding required.
Thanks, Russ. Aren't they similarly priced to the Carli? I did notice that the Thuren are bent to allow tire clearance, and they're already a half inch longer, so I think for the value they may be the better solution, because I just read up that the Carli standard are not bent and will probably rub with 35 inch tires.

13powerwagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:58 pm
Model Year: 2013

Re: Control Arms

Post by 13powerwagon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:40 pm

I believe Carli has 2 types, a standard and a high clearance, both considered short arms. The standard are 700 and the high clearance are 950, both are 1/2” longer than stock. Thuren’s short arms are 760 I believe, they are 1/2” longer than stock and bent for better clearance.
2013 tradesman
Thuren 2” coils, track bar, control arms, 2.5 Kings and axle truss. AEV salta wheels, 285/70/17 stt pros, white knuckle sliders, purple cranium dif covers.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Control Arms

Post by RustyPW » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:20 pm

13powerwagon wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:40 pm
I believe Carli has 2 types, a standard and a high clearance, both considered short arms. The standard are 700 and the high clearance are 950, both are 1/2” longer than stock. Thuren’s short arms are 760 I believe, they are 1/2” longer than stock and bent for better clearance.
The standard Carli arms are off-set for tire clearance.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, 14,000 lb Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Control Arms

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:20 am

If it’s not in the budget, make are the control arm bolts are TIGHT TIGHT. My arms are totally gone but still work fine. I have sympathy for my driveshaft but otherwise it doesn’t hurt anything.

If you’re buying new arms, either go proper budget and get the Thuren short arms or go for the best setup and get Thuren alien arms. I feel like a broken record saying this stuff but the short arms from Thuren are the best product for what you pay, clearance for big tires and very stout. The long arms are tits for ride quality. If you pay less you get cheaper joints, unless you rock crawl a lot then the Meta Cloaks might be good

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Control Arms

Post by RustyPW » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:56 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:20 am
If it’s not in the budget, make are the control arm bolts are TIGHT TIGHT. My arms are totally gone but still work fine. I have sympathy for my driveshaft but otherwise it doesn’t hurt anything.

If you’re buying new arms, either go proper budget and get the Thuren short arms or go for the best setup and get Thuren alien arms. I feel like a broken record saying this stuff but the short arms from Thuren are the best product for what you pay, clearance for big tires and very stout. The long arms are tits for ride quality. If you pay less you get cheaper joints, unless you rock crawl a lot then the Meta Cloaks might be good
The Thuren Alien brackets hang down too low for Rausch Creek and it's rock gardens. Bill and his 3G with the 6" BDS lift bends arms there.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, 14,000 lb Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2148
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: Control Arms

Post by BoldAdventure » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:56 pm
The Thuren Alien brackets hang down too low for Rausch Creek and it's rock gardens. Bill and his 3G with the 6" BDS lift bends arms there.
:lol: :rofl:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

User avatar
AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1470
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am
Model Year: 2006
Location: Delaware County, PA
Contact:

Re: Control Arms

Post by AceMan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:03 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 pm
RustyPW wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:56 pm
The Thuren Alien brackets hang down too low for Rausch Creek and it's rock gardens. Bill and his 3G with the 6" BDS lift bends arms there.
:lol: :rofl:

He sure does! I think he carries a spare long arm now, doesn't he? :lol: :rofl:

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Control Arms

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:06 pm

The Aliens are super stout and those brackets are ideal for sliding over rocks. I replaced a set of BDS long arms with a set of Aliens on a truck that went to Moab - zero comparison. The older BDS arms made of 2.0”x.120” DOM didn’t stand a chance and were bent like crazy

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Control Arms

Post by RustyPW » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:46 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:06 pm
The Aliens are super stout and those brackets are ideal for sliding over rocks. I replaced a set of BDS long arms with a set of Aliens on a truck that went to Moab - zero comparison. The older BDS arms made of 2.0”x.120” DOM didn’t stand a chance and were bent like crazy
I've only seen pic's of the Alien set-up. And from the looks of the rear bracket. It hangs down low. So, I'm not sure on them.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, 14,000 lb Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar
AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1470
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am
Model Year: 2006
Location: Delaware County, PA
Contact:

Re: Control Arms

Post by AceMan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:30 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:46 pm
DamageWagon wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:06 pm
The Aliens are super stout and those brackets are ideal for sliding over rocks. I replaced a set of BDS long arms with a set of Aliens on a truck that went to Moab - zero comparison. The older BDS arms made of 2.0”x.120” DOM didn’t stand a chance and were bent like crazy
I've only seen pic's of the Alien set-up. And from the looks of the rear bracket. It hangs down low. So, I'm not sure on them.
From the looks of the pictures of the Alien Arms, they don't look like they will work with the OEM Rock Rails.

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Control Arms

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:47 pm

AceMan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:30 pm
RustyPW wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:46 pm
DamageWagon wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:06 pm
The Aliens are super stout and those brackets are ideal for sliding over rocks. I replaced a set of BDS long arms with a set of Aliens on a truck that went to Moab - zero comparison. The older BDS arms made of 2.0”x.120” DOM didn’t stand a chance and were bent like crazy
I've only seen pic's of the Alien set-up. And from the looks of the rear bracket. It hangs down low. So, I'm not sure on them.
From the looks of the pictures of the Alien Arms, they don't look like they will work with the OEM Rock Rails.
That certainly could be, I don’t recall how the front brackets mount for the OEM sliders

User avatar
AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1470
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am
Model Year: 2006
Location: Delaware County, PA
Contact:

Re: Control Arms

Post by AceMan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:50 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:47 pm
AceMan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:30 pm
RustyPW wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:46 pm

I've only seen pic's of the Alien set-up. And from the looks of the rear bracket. It hangs down low. So, I'm not sure on them.
From the looks of the pictures of the Alien Arms, they don't look like they will work with the OEM Rock Rails.
That certainly could be, I don’t recall how the front brackets mount for the OEM sliders
Here you go, DamageWagon. I hope this gives you an idea how they're bolted in their frame. The front mount is literally where the rear of the Alien control arm would have to be welded on. Same thing applies to other long arms and radius arms, that I've seen over the years, which was one primary factor why I never went with a long arms.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180715-224535_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180715-224507_Chrome.jpg

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Control Arms

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Yeah that front bracket is right where the mount goes for pretty much every long arm kit

User avatar
AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1470
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am
Model Year: 2006
Location: Delaware County, PA
Contact:

Re: Control Arms

Post by AceMan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Who has purchased from Thuren? Do you call him, or does he have distributors? George from 8Lug doesn't appear to carry his products.

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Control Arms

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:36 pm

AceMan wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm
Who has purchased from Thuren? Do you call him, or does he have distributors? George from 8Lug doesn't appear to carry his products.
I am a dealer/installer for Thuren if you (or anybody here) need parts, or have questions or need help troubleshooting

Marcus
909-319-6352
tech@dethloffmfg.com

User avatar
nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2287
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:01 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Sask, Canada, Earth

Re: Control Arms

Post by nts007 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 am

AceMan wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm
Who has purchased from Thuren? Do you call him, or does he have distributors? George from 8Lug doesn't appear to carry his products.
Just installed a set of thuren Bent arms on an 06. O rub on 37s and stock wheels. I highly reccommend them
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Control Arms

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:45 am

nts007 wrote:
AceMan wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm
Who has purchased from Thuren? Do you call him, or does he have distributors? George from 8Lug doesn't appear to carry his products.
Just installed a set of thuren Bent arms on an 06. O rub on 37s and stock wheels. I highly reccommend them
You should do a build thread on that truck dude. The control arms are by far the least interesting thing you did to it!!

User avatar
Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 am
Model Year: 2016
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Control Arms

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:50 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:45 am
nts007 wrote:
AceMan wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm
Who has purchased from Thuren? Do you call him, or does he have distributors? George from 8Lug doesn't appear to carry his products.
Just installed a set of thuren Bent arms on an 06. O rub on 37s and stock wheels. I highly reccommend them
You should do a build thread on that truck dude. The control arms are by far the least interesting thing you did to it!!
Maple Magic?
Best Year Power Wagon

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Model Year: 2012
Location: Milford,MA

Re: Control Arms

Post by gtomike60 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:30 am

I have a set of Metal Cloak short arms I had on the truck for 2 years before switching to Alien Arms.
I'll sell them to you for $250 shipped.
One bushing needs replacing,but they're only $20
2012,2600 stall CircleD converter,MYoung locker bypass,Dynatrac bjs,Dynatrac no-spin kit w/Dynaloc hubs,Thuren 3" coils,trackbar,shackles and Kings(3"F-2.5"R) shocks,Thuren Alien arms,Synergy steering,Thuren/King steering stabilizer,Carli diff guard,White Knuckle sliders,Thuren bumper,37" Cooper STT Pros,Corsa exhaust

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Control Arms

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:40 am

Killer deal right there!

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Control Arms

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:49 am

Okay, so on Metal Cloak's website it appears to be a different part number for 03-09 than 10-12, but on Thuren's website there's only one choice for standard control arms from 03-13.
Patiently waiting for someone to explain. :popcorn:

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Control Arms

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:11 am

Thuren arms are 03-09 and 10-13 as well, just ordered a set for Ace today. It’s the size of the hardware so the 03-09 years have a 16mm lower and 14mm upper bolt and the 10-13 years have an 18mm lower and 16mm upper bolt if I remember correctly. The joint itself is machined for the bolt size from Thuren, on the metal cloaks it’s likely that the center sleeve is different wall thickness for the options

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Control Arms

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:48 am

Oops, I overlooked the little drop down selection box on Thuren's site. :oops:

Post Reply