Thuren Rear Sway Bar Link Clearance Issue W/ Diff Guard

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Thuren Rear Sway Bar Link Clearance Issue W/ Diff Guard

Post by Chromolykid » Sun May 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Just a friendly notice for anyone who may be doing Thuren rear coils with extended links on a 2014+ Power Wagon:

IF you have a rear differential guard, be aware that the extended links can position the sway bar down too low and make contact with the guard during suspension travel. In my case, I have a Purple Cranium half spider and learned the hard way that the sway bar contacts the guard with only 1” of compression from ride height. The truck still has 2” of additional travel before contacting the bumpstop.

I tried using the factory links, but they allow the driver’s side of the sway bar to contact the Thuren rear track bar bracket at full droop. This is on the factory Bilsteins with limited travel, would be very bad on extended travel KINGs. Spacers could be placed under the sway bar mounts and Thuren’s links used, but they would have to be very thick. For now I’ve just removed the entire bar. It’s so thin I felt it hardly did anything back there anyways.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Re: Thuren Rear Sway Bar Link Clearance Issue W/ Diff Guard

Post by Low_Sky » Mon May 28, 2018 1:23 am

I have half spiders, and a Thuren kit is coming. Thanks for the heads up.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Mon May 28, 2018 9:27 am

When you say you learned the hard way, what exactly happened?

I am surprised nobody else has noticed this. There must be a half dozen people just on this site with this setup.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Mon May 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Sounds like the center of the sway bar would hit the diff cover, and if the truck needed to compress further it would just load up the sway bar on both sides (then it would be a compression bar?). Maybe damage the powder coat on the spider depending on where it hits? The sway bar is a spring, so I’m doubtful anything catastrophic would happen.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Can you post some pictures?

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Mon May 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:52 pm
Sounds like the center of the sway bar would hit the diff cover, and if the truck needed to compress further it would just load up the sway bar on both sides (then it would be a compression bar?). Maybe damage the powder coat on the spider depending on where it hits? The sway bar is a spring, so I’m doubtful anything catastrophic would happen.
Exactly right, it’s like having dual-rate springs. I noticed the rear of the truck getting very stiff in big rollers. I caught it before any permanent damage was done, I’d imagine it would eventually either permanently bend or break the sway bar before the diff guard was hurt. I might have left it if it barely touched at full bump, but 2” of travel left is too much.

Can’t take pics because the bar is off now, but it scraped the coating off of the diff guard and the sway bar, the plate on the diff guard is slightly bent also but it’s just cosmetic.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon May 28, 2018 4:52 pm

The diesel guys with high volume diff covers have this problem too. It sounds like an armored one piece cover instead of a bolt on guard is a better solution. You'd probably still need a spacer though.

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:52 pm
The diesel guys with high volume diff covers have this problem too. It sounds like an armored one piece cover instead of a bolt on guard is a better solution. You'd probably still need a spacer though.
The spacer would have to be very thick, at least an inch if not more. To be honest, I was never a fan of the way the extended links made the sway bar ends hang lower than the axle tube anyways. Made it vulnerable to straddled rocks, especially in reverse. I foresaw having to remove a bent bar out in the desert, better off without it in my opinion. Diff protection and Thuren rear track bar are more important to me than the minimal body roll reduction the thin PW bar provides.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon May 28, 2018 7:32 pm

Maybe a thin spacer setup that raised it a bit too? Or would that put it into Thurens mount for the track bar?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon May 28, 2018 8:51 pm

I'd like to see some pictures. My sway bar is parallel to the ground and the same height as the axle. I think the diesel guys use a 3/4" spacer.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon May 28, 2018 11:44 pm

I have this exact setup. I haven't flexed it out yet though. Only had it installed a week or so.
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue May 29, 2018 2:10 am

That’s interesting, a few guys running Thuren sway bar links and purple craniums in Moab didn’t have this issue if I remember right? They were very close but I believe they didn’t touch

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 29, 2018 10:10 am

No, we all have this problem. It makes full contact.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue May 29, 2018 12:02 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:10 am
Good to know!!

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue May 29, 2018 12:52 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:02 pm
MikeKey wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:10 am
Good to know!!
More importantly is there anything that can or should be done?
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 29, 2018 1:24 pm

All it's doing is wearing off paint. It seems to just rub.

I'm more concerned with the fact that the end links are so long they make contact with the ground every time I climb any obstacle.
-------
------

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Tue May 29, 2018 3:45 pm

It wore off a cool sticker I had on my half-spider, now I’m down 5HP. :cry:
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Tue May 29, 2018 3:48 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:24 pm
All it's doing is wearing off paint. It seems to just rub.

I'm more concerned with the fact that the end links are so long they make contact with the ground every time I climb any obstacle.
Isn’t that with a 1” spacer on the coils? So you likely have an additional inch of up travel before it makes contact, as well as sway bar ends an inch higher off the ground compared to anyone running factory height or Thuren coils.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue May 29, 2018 3:58 pm

I honestly think the 1 inch spacer is a must anyway. I was nose high without it and there doesn't seem to be a downside.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 29, 2018 6:09 pm

The other two Chris & David with the links dragged theirs too.

Becuase of the increased length they are significantly lower. It's not a problem on the street which is probably all most people ever do. And not a problem if you boogie. But if you crawl, that difference equals impact. I don't think mine are straight the more I look at them. Powder coat is removed on bottoms of both sides. So they made contact many a time.
-------
------

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue May 29, 2018 7:18 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Becuase of the increased length they are significantly lower. It's not a problem on the street which is probably all most people ever do. And not a problem if you boogie. But if you crawl, that difference equals impact. I don't think mine are straight the more I look at them. Powder coat is removed on bottoms of both sides. So they made contact many a time.
I think Marcus installed mine upside down so the zerks were protected.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue May 29, 2018 8:16 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:18 pm
MikeKey wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:09 pm

I think Marcus installed mine upside down so the zerks were protected.
Yes, exactly. And you can still grease the zerks at ride height

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by Easttnrhino » Tue May 29, 2018 8:48 pm

Or do the proper thing and take rear sway bar off and throw it in pile with front snow plow mounts or bumper lowers are what ever ram put them on there for. Seriously took my rear sway off some time back truck rides better. And even with boat behind it or load in back does not seem changed much.
Enjoying beautiful east TN

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Throw a tent on a rack on the back with a load and tell me about how useless the rear is.
-------
------

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by Easttnrhino » Wed May 30, 2018 12:10 pm

I apologize if my view differs from yours. I know we all use our trucks differently also, so our choices will be different. If I came off as my way is the only way I am sorry.
Enjoying beautiful east TN