Limiting straps

kgries

Limiting straps

Post by kgries » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:28 pm

I got my thuren 3.0/2.5 shocks the other day and installed them. I noticed on the rear at full droop the brake lines are all pulled, and the drive shaft is laying on the skid plate.

Has anyone done limiting straps with their thuren kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Limiting straps

Post by TankerZak » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Don is coming out with bolt on right sized limit straps. Some have added custom straps. Most of us bang the skid plate out of the way and clear it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

kgries

Post by kgries » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:45 pm

TankerZak wrote:Don is coming out with bolt on right sized limit straps. Some have added custom straps. Most of us bang the skid plate out of the way and clear it.

I was going to do that but I was concerned more about the brake lines already stretching with the shaft hitting.

Are you guys just bending that center bracket that holds the rear lines?

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:58 pm

kgries wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:45 pm
TankerZak wrote:Don is coming out with bolt on right sized limit straps. Some have added custom straps. Most of us bang the skid plate out of the way and clear it.

I was going to do that but I was concerned more about the brake lines already stretching with the shaft hitting.

I removed it. Did you install Don's brake brackets?
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

kgries

Post by kgries » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:05 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
kgries wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:45 pm

I removed it. Did you install Don's brake brackets?
The bracket above the axle? No issues doing that?

I installed the e brake brackets yes

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:38 am

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to throw on some extended brake lines, carli makes a good set
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:44 am

None yet that I can see.

I flexed it out yesterday, I'll do it many more times this week.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:10 pm

bstefanic wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:38 am
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to throw on some extended brake lines, carli makes a good set
I got a brand new set of 6" over Carli's sitting in a box if anyone wants them. I went with KLM 4" over.

https://www.klmperformance.com/dodge-ra ... lines.html
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:23 am

kgries wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:28 pm
I got my thuren 3.0/2.5 shocks the other day and installed them. I noticed on the rear at full droop the brake lines are all pulled, and the drive shaft is laying on the skid plate.

Limiting straps are primarily to protect your expensive shocks from topping out violently and being damaged. You could use them to keep from hitting your driveshaft but then you’re missing out on suspension travel that you paid a lot of money for.

If you can clearance things to take full advantage of your available travel, your truck will articulate and absorb high speed impact much better. That last inch or two makes a much bigger difference than most guys realize.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:16 am

kgries wrote:I got my thuren 3.0/2.5 shocks the other day and installed them. I noticed on the rear at full droop the brake lines are all pulled, and the drive shaft is laying on the skid plate.

You say your driveshaft is touching your crossmember??? Or the gas tank skid plate?

You just ordered these shocks recently or have you had them sitting for a long while?

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:11 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:16 am
kgries wrote:I got my thuren 3.0/2.5 shocks the other day and installed them. I noticed on the rear at full droop the brake lines are all pulled, and the drive shaft is laying on the skid plate.

You say your driveshaft is touching your crossmember??? Or the gas tank skid plate?

You just ordered these shocks recently or have you had them sitting for a long while?
On the 3G's. The driveshaft touches both.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

kgries

Post by kgries » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:48 pm

I guess you could consider it the gas tank skid plate support. The Shocks are brand new. Here are some photos for reference

It’s the furthest back support that the drive shaft hits at full droop

These are the brake lines that are getting pulled when at full droop. I don’t think they make extended lines for those

I’d love to be able to use the full travel. These bad boys love speed, I got a little speed happy and was doing 70 on some trails a little north and it was awesome. I’d love to be able to hit whoops And If get some air not worry about bending my drive shaft and popping some brake lines hahah

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Could you shoot an email to Thuren and let him know?

Even the extended travel shocks were shortened a bit and shouldn’t allow the driveshaft to touch the crossmember. The earlier kits with 12” extended travel shocks could touch the crossmember. That’s not a big difference at the point the driveshaft touches but yours is the first I’ve seen to do that with current shocks.

The kits I’ve installed rear shocks on, those brake lines had plenty of flex left at full droop. Are you sure they’re tight?

kgries

Post by kgries » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:32 pm

DamageWagon wrote:Could you shoot an email to Thuren and let him know?

Even the extended travel shocks were shortened a bit and shouldn’t allow the driveshaft to touch the crossmember. The earlier kits with 12” extended travel shocks could touch the crossmember. That’s not a big difference at the point the driveshaft touches but yours is the first I’ve seen to do that with current shocks.

The kits I’ve installed rear shocks on, those brake lines had plenty of flex left at full droop. Are you sure they’re tight?
I jacked it up real quick for some photos. If I fix the driveshaft issue it will stretch the brake lines more. They have a very small amount of flex at the top still.
ImageImage

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:39 pm

I’m working on a replacement crossmember that has some more room for the driveshaft among other improvements. That doesn’t look like the shaft is touching the crossmember? But yeah that’s close!!

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Call this place for custom brake lines.

http://www.egrbrakes.com/brakelinekit.htm
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

kgries

Post by kgries » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:46 pm

DamageWagon wrote:I’m working on a replacement crossmember that has some more room for the driveshaft among other improvements. That doesn’t look like the shaft is touching the crossmember? But yeah that’s close!!
It is, I had to do some maneuvering to get the axle to drop lower to get the shock in on one side and had to use a tie down strap to compress the other side hahah. It’s touching enough to hold the axle up at least.

I’ll be buying that crossmember hahah. Then I’ll figure something out for the brake lines

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:02 pm

You can have a local shop build brake lines. I would contact Thuren still regarding that crossmember.

kgries

Post by kgries » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:25 pm

DamageWagon wrote:You can have a local shop build brake lines. I would contact Thuren still regarding that crossmember.
I’m going to send him an email in a few

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:17 pm

kgries wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:You can have a local shop build brake lines. I would contact Thuren still regarding that crossmember.
I’m going to send him an email in a few

How did this turn out?

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.