The knife discussion thread

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

The knife discussion thread

Post by TwinStick » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:49 am

So we don't mess up OP's posts by getting side tracked. Please do it here. Thanks. :cheers:

jeepxj13
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: The knife discussion thread

Post by jeepxj13 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:51 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356393042.255487.jpg
Benchmade all the way.
“Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Good brand i hear. I'm not much into folders at all. I have maybe 5 folders total. The Tops/Buck CSAR-T folder w/G-10 handles is on my list though.VERY HD !!! I am into fixed blades. Just less chance of breakage all the way around. A few pics of my small fixed blades.

BK&T BK-11 with micarta handles & TDI clip on sheath on top, and a BK-14 with handle kit & TDI clip on sheath on the bottom.

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ldgregory » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:47 pm

I agree with Benchmade. Here's my daily carry, a Mel Pardue design. Model BM553SBK Tanto Griptillian w/3.45" blade.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ldgregory » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Might help with a pic.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1356403650373.jpg
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:01 pm

You have already seen some of my Christmas haul. Here is the rest of it.

Micarta handle for my BK-11, Handle kit for my BK-14 (comes with a set of orange & black & hardware for both) & TDI clips for both sheaths.
A Limited Edition Buck 124 Frontiersman. A knife i fell in love with as a kid but found it was made from 1967-1997. They just re issued it in 2012 ! Still made in America. AWESOME !!!

A 7", 8", 9" Dexter-Russell Heavy Duty meat cleavers, 2 Dexter-Russell butchers steels, all Made in America & a Leatherman mini w/flashlight. That little sucker is BRIGHT !!!
So, thats it for me for the holidays. We buy mostly for the kids, & just get each other a few things.

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:47 pm

TwinStick wrote:A Limited Edition Buck 124 Frontiersman. A knife i fell in love with as a kid but found it was made from 1967-1997. They just re issued it in 2012 ! Still made in America. AWESOME !!!
Back in the '70s my first GOOD knife was a BUCK General. It got stolen out of my truck along with my tape deck and baseball glove. I was REALLY pissed off about losing my glove and that BUCK.
Attachments
Buck120Oneline.jpg
Just like this one.
2005 Power Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:22 pm

That is cool. I have never seen one of them ever !

blindsquirrel33
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by blindsquirrel33 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:13 pm

I found a Buck General stuck in a tree in the woods when I was a kid. Completely forgot about that knife until I saw the picture here! Still have it somewhere. After several moves, not sure where it is anymore.
I carry a Leatherman Charge TTi everywhere.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:11 pm

New name for 2sticky. MeatCleaver. :rofl:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:32 pm

LOL Rusty. :lol: Wasn't sure which i would like best, so one of each was in order. :rockon:

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Well here's some of my pieces....the 2 on the bottom I bought in Italy, the folding one was amazingly sharp for a long time...when I bought it the owner of the shop sharpened it and polished using several different wheels...Benchmade on top and the one below it are extremely sharp...and rest I have are in my hunting cabin
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
A Spanish Bowie,and U.S Western
image.jpg
Butcher set, carved lots of meat with them..from goats,pigs,rabbits,deers,stripe bass
Last edited by w2dodge on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:36 pm

did someone say knife?
1.jpg
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Toad Stickers. :lol:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Anjabin

Post by Anjabin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:43 pm

TwinStick wrote:You have already seen some of my Christmas haul. Here is the rest of it.

Micarta handle for my BK-11, Handle kit for my BK-14 (comes with a set of orange & black & hardware for both) & TDI clips for both sheaths.
A Limited Edition Buck 124 Frontiersman. A knife i fell in love with as a kid but found it was made from 1967-1997. They just re issued it in 2012 ! Still made in America. AWESOME !!!

A 7", 8", 9" Dexter-Russell Heavy Duty meat cleavers, 2 Dexter-Russell butchers steels, all Made in America & a Leatherman mini w/flashlight. That little sucker is BRIGHT !!!
So, thats it for me for the holidays. We buy mostly for the kids, & just get each other a few things
I've that mini flashlight and you are right, that is really amazing and shines great. I'm very happy to got it.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:57 pm

So, with my sons help, i was able to upload some pics of my latest little knife acquisition. Here we go.

So, what i ordered was a Victorinox Huntsman in woodland camo and a Victorinox Zermatt sheath w/sharpening steel. I ordered the XL sheath. :doh: I should have ordered the large. So, what to do ?

:idea: Will a big box store lighter fit in there ? It was just a tad too tight. :wtf: ..................... :idea: Some neatsfoot oil on the inside of the sheath, jam them in there & let sit overnight. :rockon: Worked like a champ. Fits PERFECT now !!! It is now the smallest knife/fire/sharpener kit i have !!! :notworthy:

Besides what you see opened in the pic, there is also an awl/drill that works VERY good. With all the other stuff opened, it was just too tight to open the awl as well. REALLY diggin this compact set up. Mini sharpening steel actually works excellent. It was pretty sharp when i got it but not my kind of sharp. It cut paper but had some resistance. 2 swipes on each side of the big blade & it was my kind of sharp !!! It now shaves paper with almost no resistance.

Off topic alert: :D Just got back from an awards ceremony & dinner...........For what & whom you might think ???..........My daughter just won a $6000 Rotary Club college scholarship !!! :rockon: :notworthy: $1500 per year x 4. Has to keep her grades up every year to qualify for the next. I am so proud of her. My little girl is growin up !!! No pics of her......she don't need no boyfriends right now !!! LOL :lol: :lockedandloaded:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 am

Well done, sir! Both on topic and off!
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 pm

A question for you Mr. 'Stick, I've been looking for an economical sharpening system. What do you think about Gatco?
http://www.gatcosharpeners.com/sharp_sy ... 9U0121SEH3
2005 Power Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:56 pm

GATCO ROCKS !!! Thats what i have (Super Deluxe Diamond Kit). Get the super deluxe diamond kit. That way, you can sharpen exotic steels like the A series, S7, D2, CPM S series, & all of the other tool steels & super steels. It will also sharpen regular steels much faster. Once you get the angle down & work through the grits & the ceramic hone, get yourself a Professional Butchers steel. http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/dex ... p8788.aspx That is the one you want. Made in America, good price & works like a friggin CHAMP. I have one exactly like it only made by Case. It is older than i am. I bought 2 like the one i posted. They work excellent as well. Hard to find. Get you one while you can. After a few uses of blade, one swipe on each side with butchers steel & it will bring it right back to wicked sharp. :D :rockon:

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by bstefanic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I agree Benchmade all the way.

Have a whole pile of knives but the two I always have on me or around my daily carry, an auto presidio.

Then of the best fixed blades I've ever seen, a Randall's ESEE. Supposedly you can use it as a pry bar and it'll bend to 45 degrees before it'll break and if you ever do break it even using it for something stupid they'll replace it no questions asked.
Attachments
IMG_20130725_172226_311.jpg
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by bstefanic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:49 pm

A picture I found on my computer when I apparently had had a little to much to drink
Attachments
IMG_20130526_213317_696.jpg
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:50 pm

bstefanic wrote:I agree Benchmade all the way.

Have a whole pile of knives but the two I always have on me or around my daily carry, an auto presidio.

Then of the best fixed blades I've ever seen, a Randall's ESEE. Supposedly you can use it as a pry bar and it'll bend to 45 degrees before it'll break and if you ever do break it even using it for something stupid they'll replace it no questions asked.

ESSE knives ROCK !!! :rockon:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:51 pm

bstefanic wrote:A picture I found on my computer when I apparently had had a little to much to drink

LOL :rofl:

fbenross
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by fbenross » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Just stumbled on this thread...Good Stuff. Here is my main stable: top to bottom - 1) RAT-7 2) Benchmade 3) my every day cary Benchmade 4)Benchmade 5) Microtech/Ultratech SE
Attachments
Knives .50.jpg
Ben CW3 2/10th AIR CAV FT ORD CA. (retired)
2006 Power Wagon-6spd, rear air bags, Diff Guards:Carli F. RockCrusher R., matching rim for spare tire, removed back seat for storage----I own the following: 2005 Hallmark pop-top Camper---1970 Scout 800 4x4 w/232ci 6cyl 4spd---2006 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport---Pictures @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/powerwagon/collections

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:46 am

TwinStick wrote:
bstefanic wrote:I agree Benchmade all the way.

ESSE knives ROCK !!! :rockon:

I agree!! I've got an ESEE 3 and an ESEE 5. I just wish they would come out with their folding prototype they keep teasing me with....

Also, I ran across a company in a magazine of mine. Medford Knife company is the name and WOWZA they make some nice, but VERY expensive knives!

http://www.medfordknife.com/
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference