Patriot Campers Off Road (PTOR) RT25 SUPERam

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: Patriot Campers Off Road (PTOR) RT25 SUPERam

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:47 am
PWJouster wrote: ......next is front trackbar as you must realign this for best practice. best to do this on any amount of lift over stock. (Necessary with initial shock and coil package)

best part about thuren is you dont need to think, just buy. pre measured, pre flexed setup.
Both of these points are wrong.

Don’s track bar is shipped at the same length as a PW bar. It’s a stronger, better bar, but if the stocker isn’t worn out it doesn’t need to be replaced to correct anything. They do wear out and need to be replaced eventually.

Ask my rear drive shaft how I know your last point is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah good catch, I didn't see that. The front track bar does not need to be replaced until it's worn out. And Thurens is the same length. Your statements might be true of a standard 2500 with 3-inch lift. Not a leveled Power Wagon.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Zlaayer wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:24 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gather the Power Wagon has a 33 gallon gas tank and averages around 14 miles per gallon off road and can stretch up to a maximum of 20 miles per gallon on highway. Add to that the extra weight of passengers and equipment and it seems to me I can expect a maximum range of around 450 miles while overlanding. Which is respectable I suppose. Everything I've read suggests that the diesel gets about 20-30% better gas mileage without towing and completely blows the HEMI out of the water while towing. The range is more important to me than the gas mileage. 30% more range means 30% less time spent finding gas stations. It means I can go further and maintain a fuel reserve without relying on jerrycans. I'm a firefighter and I used to be an aviator. I'm big on having reserve fuel for an emergency.

Wow, the lean in that picture would be a pant shitter for sure. I don't think I'd be comfortable taking ANY vehicle on something like that.
It depends on what you mean by 'off-road'. I got 5 mpg on our overnight trip in Moab. Along with 2 flats and having to be winched over the rocks in one section.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by KevinABQ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Zlaayer wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:04 am
Does anyone know exactly what the badge delete removes? I like some of the power wagon badging but some of it is way over the top. These trucks speak for themselves. I don’t like that it says “Power Wagon” on every conceivably space. I like the tail board badge. I could do without the decals on the side and front. Love the leather seats but could do without the badging on the leather.
The decals on the side and the hood decal for sure. Seats don't change.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by KevinABQ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:43 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:47 pm
I would not run 37’s every day in San Fran
I have been unwilling to try to take my stock PW into the parking garages at work - they claim a 7' max height. It should fit, with about 3" to spare, but it's really expensive to find out where it doesn't. On 37's you are going to hit something in a normal garage. 35's seem kind of questionable.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:44 pm

Checking the badge delete box will get rid of the bedside stickers and sticker on the tailgate. The big RAM badge will still be there on the tailgate (there is holes under it).
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
PWJouster wrote: ......next is front trackbar as you must realign this for best practice. best to do this on any amount of lift over stock. (Necessary with initial shock and coil package)

best part about thuren is you dont need to think, just buy. pre measured, pre flexed setup.

Don’s track bar is shipped at the same length as a PW bar. It’s a stronger, better bar, but if the stocker isn’t worn out it doesn’t need to be replaced to correct anything. They do wear out and need to be replaced eventually.

measuring for shock compression/full stuff and non strapped droop is a bitch. thuren took care of that all things being equal.
droop is in a category on its own, as
ive piece mailed suspensions in the past, and its not great with multi vendor builds, as it requires alot of trial and error.

factory trackbar will work but in all honesty i would expect it to wear entirely way too fast. and unsure of the range of adjustment, but it wasnt built to be used for any higher then factory lift and those specific angles.
and i did mean you must address this immediately, as with any lift, it needs to be adjusted to be perfect.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Zlaayer wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am
RustyPW wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:33 pm
Your head is spinning by now.
Yep, I definitely feel like I'm drinking water from a firehose right now. But that's a good thing. Lots to learn. Your setup seems extreme. 8500 watts? That's insane! I started doing some research on boondocking. I'm familiar with a Navy shower (I actually did six years in the Navy). I would probably invest in solar, a few lithium batteries, and a backup generator for cloudy days or days when I need to blast the AC. Lifesaver Jerrycan can turn any water source into drinking water. Not much I can do about gray or black water. That seems like the big limiting factor. I feel like I hijacked my own thread and turned it into an RV FAQ. Lol.
My set-up is not extreme. It's the standard generator on my Class A motorhome. When I had my camper. I used a Honda 3500 watt generator.

It was a year before I did my first mod on my PW. That was a track bar. I replaced the shocks at about 3 years. And the control arms at 10 years. Buy your PW. Drive it. Add stuff as you have the money and budget for. You don't have to everything at once. Some do go overboard right off the bat. Then you see them making changes later on because they bought the wrong things. Take your time, and research.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
011.JPG
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Zlaayer

Post by Zlaayer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:16 pm

RustyPW wrote:
WhiteKnuckle sliders are your best and only bet.
What's wrong with the factory running boards? They aren't rated for that kind of thing? I was actually looking at the Amp Research Powerstep. It looks like it would give me better clearance but I'm concerned that it would take too much damage in the event that I did end up doing a little rock sliding with them.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:19 pm

My truck on a 3” lift, 37’s, with an antenna base on the cab fits just fine through my 7” garage. Parking garages with the severe entry slope might be a different story.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Zlaayer wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:16 pm
RustyPW wrote:
What's wrong with the factory running boards? They aren't rated for that kind of thing? I was actually looking at the Amp Research Powerstep. It looks like it would give me better clearance but I'm concerned that it would take too much damage in the event that I did end up doing a little rock sliding with them.
Any running board will not hold up to offroading very long. They will get ripped off on the rocks. Just ask Firerescure. :rofl: I seen his come off. I seen the Amp steps get damaged and not work afterwards. The running boards bolt to the pinch weld on the body. That's not a strong point. The WhiteKunckle sliders bolt to the frame, and are built to take a beating on the rocks. Plus they have a nerf bar that is used as a side step. They will protect the under side of the cab.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

Zlaayer

Post by Zlaayer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:09 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:58 pm
Zlaayer wrote:
RustyPW wrote:
Any running board will not hold up to offroading very long. They will get ripped off on the rocks. Just ask Firerescure. :rofl: I seen his come off. I seen the Amp steps get damaged and not work afterwards. The running boards bolt to the pinch weld on the body. That's not a strong point. The WhiteKunckle sliders bolt to the frame, and are built to take a beating on the rocks. Plus they have a nerf bar that is used as a side step. They will protect the under side of the cab.
Won’t I lose like three inches of clearance though?

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:35 pm

Zlaayer wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:09 pm
RustyPW wrote:
Zlaayer wrote:

I can't really comment on this. As I have a 3G, not a 4.5G. On the 3G's. The frame is lower then what the body is at the doors. So the rock rail is at the bottom of the door but even with the frame. I'm not sure how far down the body sticks down at the doors on the 4.5G.

The pictures are the factory rock rails for the 3G. Which you no longer can get.
Attachments
DSCN1222.JPG
IMG_2080.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Zlaayer wrote:

:rofl:
-------
------

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Would you rather loose a few inches of clearance (which is still well above the bottom of the frame) or completely mangle the fawk out of your body? Its either one or the other. The choice is yours.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:16 pm

PWJouster wrote:
Low_Sky wrote:

measuring for shock compression/full stuff and non strapped droop is a bitch. thuren took care of that all things being equal.
droop is in a category on its own, as
ive piece mailed suspensions in the past, and its not great with multi vendor builds, as it requires alot of trial and error.

factory trackbar will work but in all honesty i would expect it to wear entirely way too fast. and unsure of the range of adjustment, but it wasnt built to be used for any higher then factory lift and those specific angles.
and i did mean you must address this immediately, as with any lift, it needs to be adjusted to be perfect.
OEM track bar isn’t adjustable. And it’s just fine to use with Don’s springs and shocks if it isn’t worn out. When it wears out (it’s a wear item, that’s what they do), it can be replaced with Don’s bar.

Don’s kits are easy peasy worry-free bolt-ons for regular 2500s. Anyone installing a Thuren kit on a PW should take the time to cycle the suspension through the full range of droop, compression and flex before installing springs. Our trucks have a weak extra crossmember and skid plates the other 2500s don’t have, and there are interference problems on some trucks.

John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Well...............this thread might come to a sudden stop. The OP posted about the new 2020 PW in another thread. If He gets one. Everything here becomes a mood point for him. The camper talk will still apply. No one knows what the 2020 PW will be like. Maybe some things will carry over and aftermarket parts will fit or not. He now has a chance to get a leftover 2018 PW cheap if he can find one. If the dealers know that the 2020 is coming in early 2019. They might be willing to deal.

Myself. I did learn a few things about the 4.5G's. :shock: Makes me want to keep my dinosaur that much more. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5680
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by KevinABQ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Zlaayer wrote:
RustyPW wrote:
The WhiteKunckle sliders bolt to the frame, and are built to take a beating on the rocks. Plus they have a nerf bar that is used as a side step. They will protect the under side of the cab.
More or less. But you can pull yourself over the rocks without damage to anything other then the paint on the sliders. Or got to 37s. Or don't and when you slip off the line and a rock crushes your door sill remind yourself how much clearance you got without those sliders.

You can also do what some jeepers do, which is cut the bottom of the door sills off and replace with DOM tubing welded into place. Then you don't lose any clearance. Might be some other issues that result.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:16 am

RustyPW wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Myself. I did learn a few things about the 4.5G's. :shock: Makes me want to keep my dinosaur that much more. :lol:
It's taken a while but the body of knowledge on the 4.5 Gen has caught up. The 14+ trucks are better in almost every way unless your an analog person, in which case you're going to be miserable. I've gotten most of the bugs worked out and this truck is awesome. My major complaint is the dealers and FCA's culture but you'll get screwed by them regardless of if you have a 3g, 4g, 4.5g, or 5g.

FWIW, Ford is busy fucking over new F250/350 owners on chronic DW problems. SSDD.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:05 am

RustyPW wrote:
Well...............this thread might come to a sudden stop. The OP posted about the new 2020 PW in another thread. If He gets one. Everything here becomes a mood point for him.
Nope, the 2020's are sharing the same underpinnings as the current generation. Same frame, same suspension. We're getting a repeat of the early 4th gen when they upgraded the body, but underpinnings were still the same as the 3rd gen.
-------
------

Zlaayer

Post by Zlaayer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:41 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Well...............this thread might come to a sudden stop. The OP posted about the new 2020 PW in another thread. If He gets one. Everything here becomes a mood point for him. The camper talk will still apply. No one knows what the 2020 PW will be like. Maybe some things will carry over and aftermarket parts will fit or not. He now has a chance to get a leftover 2018 PW cheap if he can find one. If the dealers know that the 2020 is coming in early 2019. They might be willing to deal.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5680
Yeah this thread is all over the board. The topics changed dramatically. But it's a great introduction to the PW world for me! I learned a lot from you guys. Thanks everyone for your input. :rockon:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:43 pm

Well we havnt scared ya off yet so you must be good to go :lol:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:45 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
RustyPW wrote:
Well...............this thread might come to a sudden stop. The OP posted about the new 2020 PW in another thread. If He gets one. Everything here becomes a mood point for him.
Nope, the 2020's are sharing the same underpinnings as the current generation. Same frame, same suspension. We're getting a repeat of the early 4th gen when they upgraded the body, but underpinnings were still the same as the 3rd gen.
Has this been proven? We discussed the ‘secret squirrel spy shots’ thy had of the new trucks but there was no verification that’s what it would be in the end. I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept the suspension but I’d be disappointed.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Not confirmed, but we've only got a few months left to know for sure. I'm pretty certain. I think the likelihood is strong. We're past mule testing at this point. They gotta start prepping to ramp up preproduction.
-------
------

Zlaayer

Post by Zlaayer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:26 pm

olyelr wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:43 pm
Well we havnt scared ya off yet so you must be good to go :lol:
Are you kidding me? I’m more stoked than ever! I’m just super jealous of you boys and all your toys. My wish list a starting to get long. I’m gonna need to win the lottery to keep up with you boys.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:46 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:45 pm
BoldAdventure wrote:
RustyPW wrote:
Has this been proven? We discussed the ‘secret squirrel spy shots’ thy had of the new trucks but there was no verification that’s what it would be in the end. I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept the suspension but I’d be disappointed.
They need to go back to the 5 link front suspension, with longer arms. :rockon:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ