Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:46 pm
They need to go back to the 5 link front suspension, with longer arms. :rockon:
Nah

IFS FRONT & REAR w/ COIL OVERS

:run:
Just like the Honda RidgeLine. :jawdrop: A want to be truck. :rofl:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Patriot Campers Off Road (PTOR) RT25 SUPERam

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Speaking of IFS I’ve been driving a GMC 1500 for a few days. Not terribly bad but for a half ton the ride quality kinda sucks! Handles speed bumps better than the wagon but is stiffer most other times. And I thought Ram’s transmission programming was annoying... nice crisp shifts in the Chevy but the bad programming really takes the fun out of it.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:51 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:28 pm
Speaking of IFS I’ve been driving a GMC 1500 for a few days. Not terribly bad but for a half ton the ride quality kinda sucks! Handles speed bumps better than the wagon but is stiffer most other times. And I thought Ram’s transmission programming was annoying... nice crisp shifts in the Chevy but the bad programming really takes the fun out of it.
I drive a ‘17 half ton for work, which has the hemi. My dream is one day my pw drives like it (not suspension, but drivetrain). The damn thing just effortlessly floats down the road, always in the right gear, shifts PERFECTLY, feels like it has WAY more power than my pw. And the damn thing sounds SO MUCH BETTER than the 6.4. I have driven half tons in rams, chevys, gms and fords and i have to say I just absolutley love my ram the best.

I will admit, also, that while it does ride pretty nice suspension wise), its not leaps and bounds better than my PW. And it also rides just as nice as my wifes yukon denali.

Anyway, back to the superram camper lol!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:44 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:37 pm
Well, being Australian we can't convert the prices directly, which explains some of the markup. It looked dubious. But I've actually seen that kind thing with shops around here. There is a very popular shop in SoCal that people just keep going to, that trash talks Thuren and steers everyone into overpriced off the shelf systems because they get kickbacks. It's not that they are bad setups, it's just that, it's dubious. But that's just my opinion.

We travel a ton, and put a lot of miles offroad on this truck. Just about every other weekend. And we traveled fulltime for two years towing an Airstream and started with a 1500 and I still didn't think I needed a diesel. I don't think you really need one till you get into 10k ++ towing personally. And the range thing is sort of debatable when towing and adding mods. But diesel always inches out ahead. But as discussed a dozen times, when you look at total cost of ownership, gas beats diesel until you start putting loads and loads of miles on the diesel.

I chose a gasser because I didn't need a diesel, and it was easier maintenance and overall cheaper ownership. I moved to the PW, because we missed being about to overland like we had been previously and the 1500 was limited offroad.

And no way was I buying an RV to pull something smaller. :lol:
Zlaayer wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:59 pm
Yeah the 6.4 definitely doesn't seem short on power, even for a heavy truck like the Ram 2500. I test drove the Cummins and the HEMI and they're both pretty impressive. I have read a lot of posts from people citing the weight as a major issue with the diesel. Why is weight such a big issue? Some of the stuff I've read suggests that the center of gravity shifts to be too high. Is that the major concern regarding weight?
COG and the front end are different issues. Diesels tend to sink because there is more weight up front than in the rear. It's not really a huge issue on anything that is not soft. NTS007 on this forum was fine with us in Moab with his diesel Power Wagon build, until we put him in sand, lol :lol: and I got video of him getting stuck over and over again. Kinda happens with mud too. 4WD only helps so much ya know.

The gasser is a little more balanced. Diesel is more popular overseas with overlanders but those are also much smaller engines. American diesels are designed primarily around making power (specifically torque) for moving things.

It's not a huge issue, but it's a consideration. I mean there are some folks with bumpers on the front of their trucks that weigh close to 350lbs. I helped DamageWagon remove his old one, and that's how much it weighed. :jawdrop:

I have never found range to be a real issue when overlanding or offroad. We've done some long haul trips. But here in the states, usually you're going to hit a gas station or town. I have yet to find a trail that is past my gas tank range or further than the extra cans I carry.

Even the continental divide trail crosses towns and gas stations regularly enough.

The issue with COG is really how unbalanced the trucks and that's important when you're in an off camber situation.

For example, while I am jealous of 6 inch lifts, it'd do me zero favors in this situtation:

I got stuck once. On a side slope. Never played in sand before. And I recall after I climbed back to the driver seat from the passenger I backed out just fine. I also recall being a anchor and winch service provider for a few nice but unremarkable fellows 🤣
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Can’t believe I’m late to this party!! All the new sub forums are confusing a/f
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more