Minnesota shooting range??

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Minnesota shooting range??

Post by JFordBronco » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Anyone from Minnesota know if there is any outdoor shooting range is, open to the public? I'm relocating there next month, and have been unable to find anything. Everybody has a club, or they want hundreds of dollars to be a member. What do you people in southern Minnesota do?
2015 Power Wagon

TwinStick

Re: Minnesota shooting range??

Post by TwinStick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Like anywhere probably. You either own property that it is legal to shoot on, you belong to a club, you use designated public shooting range or you know someone who has property that is legal to shoot on & get permission.

We have a single lane public shooting range but not many people use it because everytime you do, the D.E.C. officers, or the Troopers show up & give you the 3rd degree. It takes about 30 minutes of dealing with them. Questions are endless: What's you name, where do you live, who's gun is that, did you buy it new or used, if used-who did you buy it from, lets see your ammo, let's see your permit, let's see your drivers licence, who's vehicle is that, let's see proof of insurance, etc..., etc... Then they run all of it through their computer & wait, wait, wait. Just not worth the drive & the hassle IMO. Personally, I have never met a criminal on a public range. They are stupid, but not usually that stupid.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:48 pm

TwinStick wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm
Like anywhere probably. You either own property that it is legal to shoot on, you belong to a club, you use designated public shooting range or you know someone who has property that is legal to shoot on & get permission.

We have a single lane public shooting range but not many people use it because everytime you do, the D.E.C. officers, or the Troopers show up & give you the 3rd degree. It takes about 30 minutes of dealing with them. Questions are endless: What's you name, where do you live, who's gun is that, did you buy it new or used, if used-who did you buy it from, lets see your ammo, let's see your permit, let's see your drivers licence, who's vehicle is that, let's see proof of insurance, etc..., etc... Then they run all of it through their computer & wait, wait, wait. Just not worth the drive & the hassle IMO. Personally, I have never met a criminal on a public range. They are stupid, but not usually that stupid.

That sounds like an Orwellian nightmare to me. Fuck that!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:51 pm

My thoughts exactly. I have a range 1/2 mile down the road. $60 per year. Can't even bring family anymore because of a "past issue". EVERYONE who shoots, HAS TO BE a member, if you violate that, you get banned for life !

Listen up: This is going to catch on soon everywhere.......................In NY, you now have to re-register all your handguns & "assault weapons" every 5 years. Wait for it...............................Failure to do so will result in the loss of your permit & the loss of your firearms. They become illegal & can NOT be transferred or sold to family or friends. If you do, it becomes an illegal sale, which is a felony. This is the new Gun control.....confiscation by default. Oh, by the way, in our County, they Will NOT notify you when you are coming up on your 5 years. How many old people do you think are going to forget ? How many young people with families & kids will let life get in the way & forget ? Millions i suspect. :angry:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:04 pm

I can shoot 700 yards about 15 minutes from my house. There's a 1k yard range an hour away.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:23 pm

I’ve started building a 100 yard range for sighting in rifles on my property, along with a pistol and carbine course. Should be done this year, just takes a lot of time to move enough earth for a .50bmg backstop lol
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:22 pm

I belong to a gun club. It's $50.00 a year. We have just over 200 members. Everyone knows everyone else. We have a 300 yard rifle range and a range for handguns. During the summer. We have shoots for different type of guns. One month will be for handguns. Another would be for .22's. nother month would be for rifles. and another would be for AR's. We have a great time. And we sell gun tickets. When I get them to sell. They're gone within a few days. :lockedandloaded:

If I want to shoot a long range. There's a power line that's about 2,000 yards long not far from me. It's shooting hillside to hillside. With a valley in the middle. :lockedandloaded:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: