ARB fridge upgrade mods.....

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

ARB fridge upgrade mods.....

Post by TwinStick » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:46 pm

So, today I modified my 82 qt ARB fridge, to hopefully make it more efficient. This is the mods that I did: added a small piece of aluminum to the bottom of the radiator/evap coils, so the fan would push ALL of the air it moves through the radiator/evap coils & not through the space on the bottom. It seems air is like water, it takes the path of least resistance. Then, using 1/8" sticky back foil insulation by Frost King, from HDepot @ $18 for a 18"x 15' roll & card board, I insulated the cooler side of the compressor compartment & the top of the compressor compartment. I used 2 layers, one on top of the other, on top of the card board-so it is removeable. Very tight quarters in there. It was a PITA to be sure. But I am happy with the results. The compressor & evap coil are directly under the "shelf" inside the cooler & is the reason why it is noticeably warmer than the rest of the cooler. I would not put miracle whip or eggs on it before. But now, I don't think it would be an issue. It is noticeably cooler to the touch. I have no scientific data but certainly agree with "Stumpalump's" findings on this thread. After the mods, I plugged it in, inside a 73* air conditioned house, it was set @ 32*. When it came on, it said inside temp was 83* (it was outside all day in the garage for the mods). It was down to 32* in 40 minutes. Like I said, nothing scientific, but it has to help immensely. In his thread, he said compressor was reading 115* while running inside an air conditioned house. After 25 minutes of not running, it only cooled down to 104*. So all that time, the heat is migrating upwards into the shelf area inside the fridge. That is also the reason I use an extra 8" high velocity fan, pointed at the compressor/vents/evap coil, when I have 120v power avail, if it is blazing hot out.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threa ... ridge-mods

I will be doing the 50 qt fridge in the near future as well. Why they dont do that from the factory is beyond me. It would literally only add about $2 to the cost of the fridge, & It would be so much easier to do before all that crap was in there. :doh:

:cheers:
Last edited by TwinStick on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: ARB fridge upgrade mods.....

Post by Colibri » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I have a pair of 50qts I need to do this to :rockon:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

TwinStick

Re: ARB fridge upgrade mods.....

Post by TwinStick » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:58 pm

The evap coil mod is super easy. There is even a hole on each side of the bottom of the evap coil frame. A 1/4" hex head sheet metal screw fits perfectly in there. I did take both of the sheet metal screws & removed the sharp point on the end, on a disc sander, on the off chance it touched anything on the inside. It didn't but i wanted to be safe.