Camper tunes......

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

Camper tunes......

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:21 pm

I just could not stand the shitty sounding stock speakers anymore. Went to W-Mart with one in hand. Started opening boxes. They did NOT appreciate that. Big grumpy guy comes towards me & says loudly, "can I help you sir ?" I told him yes, you can, here, hold this & gave him the old speaker. He said what are you trying to do ? Told him I want to replace the white speakers with something better but want to make absolutely SURE that they are gonna work, before I drive all the way home. Then he seemed ok with it. He helped me hold them next to each other. I told him that I can make these work. He helped me put it back in the box (which is no easy task these days). I thanked him, he said your welcome. $50 + $2-2 yr warranty, for some nice little Pioneer 6.5" speakers. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-TS-6 ... r/46473573 They sound MUCH better than stock.

Note: Camper manufacturers use things that are in between any regular size. Speakers, stereos, microwaves, etc. , so if you want to "upgrade" you have to go back to them unless you are a do it yourself-er. Luckily, I am. So I made some adapters that look pretty damn good & work great & are way stronger than the factory set up. Yes, speakers & microwaves coming loose & self destructing is a common thing. Stereo is the next thing to get replaced. Not sure that I will tackle that though. Camper stereo & car stereo are 2 totally different things. Wire colors mean all different things. :doh:

Just realized that they are $79.99 @ Crutchfield !

TwinStick

Re: Camper tunes......

Post by TwinStick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Just got back home from the Erie County Fair, opening day. My 6"x9" boxes & my Kicker 6x9 speakers, wire, & hardware, arrived for the camper. Gonna have my stereo shop/or me, rig it so I have plugs on outside of camper (or in the storage compartment), & on the inside of camper, & a speaker selector, so I can switch between inside 1 pr, inside both pr, outside 1 pr. Think I'm gonna get a Pioneer AM/FM, CD, Front Aux plug & Front USB port unit w/14 watts per channel x 4. That should be fine for camping. Can crank it a little when all by ourselves & still be quiet enough not to piss off the neighbors while in a campgrounds, but still sound great ! :rockon:

If anyone has any suggestions on what to use for a (preferably non-powered to keep battery drain as low as possible) speaker selector, and some type of plug ins (both male ends for the speaker wires & female ends & mounts (1 set for inside & 1 for outside) to plug them into, that would be great. I can do it myself, I just have never seen what I think I need. I appreciate the help. Links would be great. :rockon:

:popcorn:

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:19 pm

TwinStick wrote:Just got back home from the Erie County Fair, opening day. My 6"x9" boxes & my Kicker 6x9 speakers, wire, & hardware, arrived for the camper. Gonna have my stereo shop/or me, rig it so I have plugs on outside of camper (or in the storage compartment), & on the inside of camper, & a speaker selector, so I can switch between inside 1 pr, inside both pr, outside 1 pr. Think I'm gonna get a Pioneer AM/FM, CD, Front Aux plug & Front USB port unit w/14 watts per channel x 4. That should be fine for camping. Can crank it a little when all by ourselves & still be quiet enough not to piss off the neighbors while in a campgrounds, but still sound great ! :rockon:

If anyone has any suggestions on what to use for a (preferably non-powered to keep battery drain as low as possible) speaker selector, and some type of plug ins (both male ends for the speaker wires & female ends & mounts (1 set for inside & 1 for outside) to plug them into, that would be great. I can do it myself, I just have never seen what I think I need. I appreciate the help. Links would be great. :rockon:
I'd look for a couple DPDT switches. Keep in mind you may need to do some impedance matching/load resistors depending on how you wire those in.

Or, for as cheap as headunits are, just put in a second one. One's for inside, other's for outside.

Speakers in our new trailer are super-cheapie 3" or 4"ers (mounted in the ceiling). These might get upgraded, but we haven't really monkeyed with the equalizer settings yet either to see if we can clean up the sound.

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Got those all over my house.

Even in the attic. (RF for OTA antenna and ethernet for cameras) :lockedandloaded:

They work well. Nice that you can configure those wall plates any way you want, since the keystone size is standard.

Outside of the trailer for AV connections, there's a duplex outlet and analog AV connections for a TV. We don't run any speakers outside right now, just use what the TV has when we have that connected.

28 days till Haydays in MN, we'll have the new trailer there if anyone wants to check it out live and in-person.Image
http://www.snobarons.com/

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:53 pm

Thanks Mule. :rockon: Man, those 6"x9" Kickers sound AWESOME ! :rockon: Even though they are 6 ohm, I hooked em up for a few minutes to my garage stereo receiver, a Sony w/80 or 90 watts per channel. Man do they crank. Sound better than the Memphis Audio 6x9's in my truck. VERY happy with the sound quality & the loudness level & still being crystal clear. Might have to go with dual batteries & a small 4 channel amp, IDK ??? :rockon:

Waiting till next month's check for the Pioneer AM/FM/CD head unit & accessories.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777BB692T ... l?tp=61651
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC693 ... html?tp=91

I also mounted a black metal handle on the top of each one for ease of transport/moving/carrying. Like these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-3 ... /202033978