How hard would it have been for Dodge/Ram to.......

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

How hard would it have been for Dodge/Ram to.......

Post by TwinStick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:54 am

:idea:

use something like this in our trucks, instead of the shitty LVI that is on the 3rd gen trucks ? Not sure if the 4th/5th gens/etc have them but I'm guessing they do for liability ? So you don't get left stranded when you need your winch the most. A simple on/off/override switch. Same thing with the TPS. A simple on/off/override. Just sayin.

It sure would have saved a lot of people a lot of grief. I did the TPS bypass early on & never had an issue and have since installed a 270 amp alt, but i remember many getting stranded with line out but not being able to spool it back in. Or not even being able to spool it out. Just seems like a simple solution, thats all. :rant: :lol:

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Re: How hard would it have been for Dodge/Ram to.......

Post by JFordBronco » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:44 pm

LVI???
2015 Power Wagon

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:55 pm

Low voltage interrupter
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:55 pm

It stops the winch from working if the battery voltage goes below a preset. That feature has left many people stranded, with 70' of cable out. It is a real possibility if you are really stuck & have to really work the winch. The idea is, so you still have juice to start the truck. But realistically, I don't know anyone who would use the winch to unstick themselves without the truck running. Seriously, who would do that, unless the engine was not able to run. Other than that-No one. It would be nice to have something so that you could just flip a switch & bypass.

They also have thermal protection circuit on them. It shuts the winch down if it gets too hot & again, would leave you stranded in the middle of a pull, if it engaged.

I also think anyone who orders a new PW & plans on doing ANY off-roading & does not get the dual alt option, is foolish. Hell, I would get it just for the ease of putting in a high power stereo & not having to upgrade the alternators. Be nice to have a couple 15" subs in the backseat, instead of a single 12" like I do now.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Maybe you just need more voltage?

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:12 pm

In stock trim with the 160 amp, the truck will only put out what it will put out. If I ever buy a new wagon, dual alt option for sure. I do have dual batteries now & a 270 amp alt. Not really sure how those 16-19volt batteries for stereo systems stay topped up with a vehicle putting out 14.5volts ? Don't know too much about them.