Anyone ever storm chase in their wagon?

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Anyone ever storm chase in their wagon?

Post by thedriver21 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:47 pm

So, my dad and I are planning on storm chasing in the mid/south west in late april and early may and was curious as to if anyone else has ever done it in their wagon. I've done it in my dads infiniti g37 and his charger in the high desert chasing monsoons but never in a capable truck that we could take off the beaten path to get to the good stuff.
2016 PW Laramie-Flame Red

2013 PW Tradesman-Copperhead Pearl RIP

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Anyone ever storm chase in their wagon?

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:15 am

Sent from my safe space

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by thedriver21 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:22 am

DamageWagon wrote:Image

Sent from my safe space
:jawdrop: I said storm chase not fire chase haha :lol: Where was that at???

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:06 am

thedriver21 wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:Image

Sent from my safe space
It hasn't happened yet. That's you, in the future, chasing a storm Image

Sent from my safe space

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by thedriver21 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:13 am

thedriver21 wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:

Sent from my safe space
Ah I see, you are probably right, my wagon will probably end up in a tree somewhere in oklahoma or I'll be fried in a carbacue caused by lightning hitting the truck :doh:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:18 am

thedriver21 wrote:
thedriver21 wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:

Sent from my safe space
Ah I see, you are probably right, my wagon will probably end up in a tree somewhere in oklahoma or I'll be fried in a carbacue caused by lightning hitting the truck :doh:
Knowing what you're in for is half he fun! Knowing there's a thousand ways to die during said activity is like gambling, and that's fun too! Haha storm chasing does sound interesting though. Pretty red neck too. My family is from Oklahoma, I thought they did it out of boredom, or out of a wish to die since there is absolutely nothing to do there.

Sent from my safe space

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by thedriver21 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:33 am

DamageWagon wrote:

Sent from my safe space
Ah I see, you are probably right, my wagon will probably end up in a tree somewhere in oklahoma or I'll be fried in a carbacue caused by lightning hitting the truck :doh:[/quote]

Knowing what you're in for is half he fun! Knowing there's a thousand ways to die during said activity is like gambling, and that's fun too! Haha storm chasing does sound interesting though. Pretty red neck too. My family is from Oklahoma, I thought they did it out of boredom, or out of a wish to die since there is absolutely nothing to do there.

Sent from my safe space[/quote]

I like the uncertainty of it, it's alot of fun. And as long as you know how to read doppler radar you can stay out of the hail and avoid the tornado for the most part. Plus I like danger, hence the profession and city I work in. And I've always wanted to take a truck storm chasing so I can live out my childhood Twister fantasy :mrgreen:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Make SURE your insurance will cover it ! :lol:

I often wonder this (because I too am fascinated with extreme weather): How come I have yet to see ANY storm chase vehicle with a bolt on exo cage & some heavy duty "prison grade"screen over the windows for safety ? I understand you wouldn't want it in the filming vehicle but most people get injured from flying debris. I have seen the T.I.V. (tornado intercept vehicle) & many like it but if it was me, I would have a cage & some bolt to the cage heavy duty prison grade screen & have the cameras bolted on the outside of the vehicle. Just sayin'. I love the storms too but don't think i would chase them in a bone stock vehicle with zero protection.

Just to clarify: there is a HUGE difference between "prison grade" & "redneck grade". :lol: I think you will know the difference when you see it ! :lol:

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+ ... LVSRbHM%3A

Also surprised no one has turned an M-RAP or a Buffalo into a storm vehicle yet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+ ... DugQsAQIGQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+ ... ry+buffalo

I know they sit up high but the weight is pretty friggin substantial. I think only a direct hit from an F-4 or F-5 would have an affect on it ! :lol:

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by thedriver21 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:00 pm

TwinStick wrote:Make SURE your insurance will cover it ! :lol:

I often wonder this (because I too am fascinated with extreme weather): How come I have yet to see ANY storm chase vehicle with a bolt on exo cage & some heavy duty "prison grade"screen over the windows for safety ? I understand you wouldn't want it in the filming vehicle but most people get injured from flying debris. I have seen the T.I.V. (tornado intercept vehicle) & many like it but if it was me, I would have a cage & some bolt to the cage heavy duty prison grade screen & have the cameras bolted on the outside of the vehicle. Just sayin'. I love the storms too but don't think i would chase them in a bone stock vehicle with zero protection.

Just to clarify: there is a HUGE difference between "prison grade" & "redneck grade". :lol: I think you will know the difference when you see it ! :lol:

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+ ... LVSRbHM%3A

Also surprised no one has turned an M-RAP or a Buffalo into a storm vehicle yet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+ ... DugQsAQIGQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+ ... ry+buffalo

I know they sit up high but the weight is pretty friggin substantial. I think only a direct hit from an F-4 or F-5 would have an affect on it ! :lol:
I'll have to check insurance but I am pretty sure they will cover it. :cash:

I've actually seen a few guys with exo cages like you see on old 4Runners and such but with an overhang above the roof with screens to protect the windshield and such. If memory serves me right I think sean casey built TIV 2 for like $100-150K not including his IMAX camera. Im pretty sure the MRAP's and other up armored vehicles, other than being not available to us lowly peon citizens, cost upwards of $500k a pop, plus maintenance and the like. And TIV2 is bitchin to look at. I really hope I get to see it someday in person as I grew up watching storm chasers. That show and Twister really made me interested in the high plains storms, even though Twister is super unrealistic :mrgreen:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

I believe State Farm is excellent for off road coverage. I know for sure Geico blows and will not cover you. I would check, most companies do not cover off road.

Sent from my safe space

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by thedriver21 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:13 pm

DamageWagon wrote:I believe State Farm is excellent for off road coverage. I know for sure Geico blows and will not cover you. I would check, most companies do not cover off road.

Sent from my safe space
It's not the off-road that is a concern, its any hail or debris damage caused by the storm. The insurance company may be a little curious as to why your were in oklahoma in a storm with a tree through your windshield and baseball size hail dents all over the truck :poke:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:14 pm

thedriver21 wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:I believe State Farm is excellent for off road coverage. I know for sure Geico blows and will not cover you. I would check, most companies do not cover off road.

Sent from my safe space
It's not the off-road that is a concern, its any hail or debris damage caused by the storm. The insurance company may be a little curious as to why your were in oklahoma in a storm with a tree through your windshield and baseball size hail dents all over the truck :poke:
You and the 300 other people with a claim from the same storm? Yours won't be the strangest story. "I was just passing through".

On the other hand, your driving through fields while watching the sky, that's what I would worry about.

Sent from my safe space

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Yup, just passing through on a trip. That your story & you need to stick to it. Being an actual storm chaser or telling them you were is a whole different ballgame. I have State Farm. Hope I never have to test it.

I am concerned about this because we will be traveling all across the country soon enough. I have already told my wife we have to get a good laptop & a mount for it, so she can keep the weather maps up while we are actually driving/traveling. I can't wait, it's gonna be exiting. I love the extreme weather to, but don't really want to experience it while towing the camper or traveling---unless it's from a distance ! :rockon:

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by thedriver21 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:01 pm

TwinStick wrote:Yup, just passing through on a trip. That your story & you need to stick to it. Being an actual storm chaser or telling them you were is a whole different ballgame. I have State Farm. Hope I never have to test it.

I am concerned about this because we will be traveling all across the country soon enough. I have already told my wife we have to get a good laptop & a mount for it, so she can keep the weather maps up while we are actually driving/traveling. I can't wait, it's gonna be exiting. I love the extreme weather to, but don't really want to experience it while towing the camper or traveling---unless it's from a distance ! :rockon:
I just finished my laptop mount and posted the pictures in the gadgets and gizmos page. I love having the laptop where it is now

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Yup, I gotta do something like that. I also have to make sure it don't interfere with that big long piece of metal coming up through my floor. Sorry, only 3rd Gens have them in a Power Wagon.

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by thedriver21 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:16 pm

I dont think it would, as long as you angle the computer more towards the driver side. At least in the 4th gens the specific mount I used leaves the center console wide open unless you swivel the computer to much towards the driver

TrueCowboy426
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TrueCowboy426 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:26 pm

I use my PW to chase storms all the time. I like having a truck that I can self recover if I ever ditch it in a big wind storm, and I have been blown off the road before by a thunderstorm.

2007 Dodge Power Wagon - Inferno Red Quad Cab, G56, KRC 210X cam, SRT8 JGC seats, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Offroad lights behind the grill, Warn wireless winch remote, Carli front Diff Guard, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, On board air complete w/ train horns, homemade hidden gooseneck hitch, Homemade locker bypass, upgraded Mopar steering box, Centerforce clutch
1998 Dodge 2500 Laramie, QCSB 4x4. 24V cummins, completely rebuilt chassis with '01 1500 body installed, full gauges, Edge drag comp box, +150hp injectors, performance 47re built by me, 35" Toyo MTs on 3rd gen wheels.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L Bright Silver, HO Cams, 12,000 lbs Winch mounted behind bumper, 4.56's, 2500 factory tow hooks, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Air-Lift Ride Control bags, homemade hidden ball gooseneck hitch.
1987 W100 - carburated 5.7 Hemi/727 combo, 35" Toyo MT's. Ramcharger D44 w/ warn hubs, Warlock seats, 2nd gen center console
1987 Dakota - RCSB, 413 big block, LT headers.
And a few jeeps for good measure.

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by thedriver21 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Holy crap, that was only a few yards away! My goal is to see a tornado but if not I at least want to see some wall clouds and some green skies, as well as some good lightning haha

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:52 pm

For the last few years, Buffalo area has had some wicked cool wall clouds. Lancaster NY got 7 feet of snow (not a misprint) over 3 days.

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+ ... 28&bih=769

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by thedriver21 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:05 am

TwinStick wrote:For the last few years, Buffalo area has had some wicked cool wall clouds. Lancaster NY got 7 feet of snow (not a misprint) over 3 days.

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+ ... 28&bih=769
That's damn cool! That cloud over buffalo is actually called a shelf cloud. A wall cloud is a small lowering off of a supercell that shows rotation. Thats also were a tornado usually spawns

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:52 am

From my perspective, it sure looked like a wall ! :lol:

My wife is my co-pilot when on vacation, so the laptop will be facing her side. Plus she obsesses over the weather, so it will give her something to do. :lol:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:59 am

"Ladies and gentleman, I think now is a good time to call it a game..."
Attachments
wall cloud.jpg
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

thedriver21
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by thedriver21 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:56 pm

So I finally managed to get out to the midwest and chase. So far it has not disappointed. The trucks been running strong and guzzling gas :chug: Had to go down a dirt road at about 90 to get out from 2-4in hail and get away from the core of the storm. :shock:
IMG_3566.jpg
IMG_3612.jpg
IMG_3615.JPG
IMG_3616.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG
IMG_3618.JPG

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by adeluca73 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:09 am

thedriver21 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:56 pm
So I finally managed to get out to the midwest and chase. So far it has not disappointed. The trucks been running strong and guzzling gas :chug: Had to go down a dirt road at about 90 to get out from 2-4in hail and get away from the core of the storm. :shock:
Very cool, but you forgot to hold a metal rod while standing in one of those puddles.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 am

adeluca73 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:09 am
thedriver21 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:56 pm
Very cool, but you forgot to hold a metal rod while standing in one of those puddles.
:rofl:

That hail will make you PW look like a golf ball. Full of dimples. :lol:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: