Hughesnet

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Hughesnet

Post by Will » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:08 am

Considering where some of you guys live, I'm wondering if any of you have Hughes Net for an internet provider? If so, pros, cons? I built a house out away from town and only have one service provider and their speed is below par. According to the site, Hughes is available in my area but I dont know anyone that has it. It seems really expensive compared to everything else around here.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

israelstanage
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Hughesnet

Post by israelstanage » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:45 am

I polled my group of friends and couldn't find a single person with a positive thing to say about Hughesnet. A couple are currently involved in litigation with Hughes. Apparently, it is OK if you only do anything online during the early morning (1am to 5am), otherwise you are throttled to the point that browsing is cumbersome and downloading/streaming becomes impossible.

My neighbor has Verizon, and other than the data limits, he is very happy with the performance. I considered it, but we stream too many movies. Since their acquisition of Alltel, Verizon really shines in rural areas (we use it at the hunting lodge).

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Thanks, we wanted to be able to stream everything through the internet but we just might have to get sat TV for football. :D
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

israelstanage
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by israelstanage » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Same thought process I had. I ended up using local for Internet, but got directv. Not sure if you are a college or pro football fan, but directv gave us Sunday ticket free for a year. They also have all the regional crap for college. We watch quite a bit of TVand have way too many channels, but I think you can set up a pretty football friendly package for a pretty reasonable price (at least for the first year)

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Yep, we had DirectTV in the old house. We could do without TV all together until College football season starts :lol: After we sold the old house, we stayed in one rental property for 6 months without TV. We just had Netflix and watched a movie every now and then.

TruckBoatTruck

Post by TruckBoatTruck » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:38 pm

My buddy had a predicament about a year ago with needing satellite internet. He considered Hughesnet but after the reading the reviews he went with Exede. he has no problem streaming quality videos and web browsing is fast. If I had to consider a sat internet provider I would go with them.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:45 pm

I had Direct TV for about 6 years. Want I didn't like/hated was. If a rain storm came, and it was a thick cloud. It would block the signal until it passed. Also keeping snow off the dish. Over 2" of snow, and I would have to take a broom to the dish and remove the snow. Something to think about if you're thinking about getting satellite.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:52 am

We had hughesnet for a couple years while living out in NM. As mentioned, don't expect to be able to really do anything beyond general surfing online. Right when we moved there were upgrading the service speed a little but as far as I'm aware still nowhere near what you need to stream and still expensive as hell. Verizon and something other cell phone providers have wifi boxes that utilize 4g/3g signals, I havn't looked into it for a while but I do recall they offer special internet packages that provide a lot more data. If you have cell reception there would certainly be faster than satellite.
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

gone2
Model Year: 2007

Post by gone2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:54 am

My parents in remote AZ are getting rid of theirs in two days after a year of it not working properly. They never could get anything to stay connected and Hughes refused to ever send a technician out because the closest one was over 200 miles away. They initially wanted to charge them $900 for breaking contract but finally yelled enough about Hughes not holding up their end of the contract and settled on $14.13 for the last prorated month. My Dad called laughing that the link they sent to pay their remaining bill wouldn't even work long enough to pay.

They said that someone else is coming out the next day to install another satellite internet system. I haven't figured out who it is yet. Has to be either Exede or Dish I think.
2015 Power Wagon, 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2013 Roush Stage3 mustang
http://clintcookphotography.com/

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks for the replies, we wrote off Hughes. Going with local Century Link and Direct TV for now. We had Direct TV for many years with no connection issues. If we lost signal, it was really, really bad weather. Century Link works pretty good for internet here and is our only current choice next to sat.