Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model Year: 2006

FCC Technician License!

Post by AceMan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:33 am

I passed the FCC Technician exam today. I'm now officially a HO. :D

I don't have my call sign yet. Ill get that the end of the week. Nor do I have a radio yet. And a ham operator without a radio is like a PW without lockers. Trying to figure out which one to buy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
Did you ever notice that after Monday and Tuesday the calendar says "WTF"?
KB1ACE - Kilo-Bravo-One-Alpha-Charlie-Echo
Power Wagon Owner's Club #110

Black '06 PW QC
Auto, REC Nav/Sat UConnect, Reverse cam, MyGig v2 Lockpick, adj pedals, Tow mirrors, aftermarket heated seats.
Mods: Mopar Rock Rails, Carr steps (what's left of them), Toyo MT 35x12.5x17, Mopar 8.5 "T"-Linkage, Carli Trackbar (frameside 16mm bolt), King 2.5 Reservoir shocks, Carli Progressive coils, Carli Front Diff Protector, Rockcrusher rear diff, Carli Low Mount Damper, KC 55 watt rear floods w/Defiant bracket, RetroSolutions 12W LED rev & brake lights, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads, 4th Gen Steering Box, Spicer axle U-joints, 4G DTProfab Steering brace ground 3/8" offset to fit my 3G 2006 with a 4G box.
Sitting in Garage: Ram SRT10 A-Pillar.
Image Image Image

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: FCC Technician License!

Post by verdesardog » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:56 am

congrats from KD7YCL

I have an Icom V8000 in my truck:

BTW, those mickey mouse switches have been replace with military type gaurded toggles....
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:29 pm

verdesardog wrote:congrats from KD7YCL

I have an Icom V8000 in my truck:

BTW, those mickey mouse switches have been replace with military type gaurded toggles....
Thanks, KD7YCL!

Nice rig! Nice mount spot, too. I heard lots of good things about Icom, and Yaesu, too.

I think I'm leaning towards a multiband with at least 2m & 70cm with dual receive. I'm thinking something lower into HF, too, to listen in on international transmissions. I'm not sure yet, depending on funds.

I like to see the military switches!

My dash cubbie hole is still just that. I have a switch panel from a Jeep that will I may be putting in shortly that fits on the panel above the console behind where your radio is mounted. I posted the pics in another thread a month ago, but i haven't got around to installing it yet. I'll post pictures when I get to it.

Black '06 PW QC
Auto, REC Nav/Sat UConnect, Reverse cam, MyGig v2 Lockpick, adj pedals, Tow mirrors, aftermarket heated seats.
Mods: Mopar Rock Rails, Carr steps (what's left of them), Toyo MT 35x12.5x17, Mopar 8.5 "T"-Linkage, Carli Trackbar (frameside 16mm bolt), King 2.5 Reservoir shocks, Carli Progressive coils, Carli Front Diff Protector, Rockcrusher rear diff, Carli Low Mount Damper, KC 55 watt rear floods w/Defiant bracket, RetroSolutions 12W LED rev & brake lights, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads, 4th Gen Steering Box, Spicer axle U-joints, 4G DTProfab Steering brace ground 3/8" offset to fit my 3G 2006 with a 4G box.
Image Image Image

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:55 pm

toggle switches:

Three ready to switch on:

Two red ones energized:

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Congrats from KE7IXX!

Ham Radio Outlet or Universal Radio are the two biggest online retailers. Dunno how it is in your area, but I rarely see used equipment available. You might check Craigslist and see what pops up.
I'm just along for the ride...

BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BlkWgn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 pm

When you get your call sign you need to join me on the Outdoor Adventure USA Net on Thursday nights. You can pick it up on any repeater linked to the western reflector or on echolink

OAUSA.net

Cris
KJ6DZZ
My new photography site - BlkWgn Photography http://blkwgn.smugmug.com

2006 Dodge Power Wagon production number 44 - Mercenary Offroad Prototype Bumper - Toyo 35 MT - Caril Springs - Carli Track Bar - Thuren Overland Shocks - Carli Front Diff Guard - RockCrusher Rear Diff Guard - Airflow Snorkel - Locker Bypass - Leer shell w/Roof Rack and 125w Solar Panel - and an empty wallet
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro (For Sale)

Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer[/color]

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... agon-Build

American Adventurist - http://www.americanadventurist.com

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:52 am

Way to go Ace. :mrgreen: Now you have something else to play with..............................................................instead of your.............................................................................self. :lol:

Sorry to get back to you late. My router crapped out at home,and I been away on business for the last week. I'm doing this from work. :wink:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:55 pm

verdesardog wrote:toggle switches:

Three ready to switch on:

Two red ones energized:

Nice switch setup! No mistake if you have a switch off or on. I haven't got around with my switch panel yet. But I like what you have.

And I got my call sign: KB3ZDJ.

I applied for a Vanity Call Sign with KB1ACE at the top of my list, and a few others with ACE as the suffix. I'm not sure if I can get them. I belive the "3" means my region, so I'm not sure how that works with a Vanity request. I couldn't find anything at the FCC site about how the regions are setup or the rules if I can ask for a sign with a different region number assigned by the systematic sequence they use.

And I haven't got a radio yet. :(

I'm leaning towards an HT (handheld tx) as my first radio - either a Yaesu HT VX-8DR, Icom IC-92AD HT. Or just get a mobile Yaesu FTM-350AR with the huge ass display so I can see it!. They are all dual band, dual receive, and the 350 has cross band capabilities that I can use for an HT outside of the truck, that is if I had both. Talking to a couple guys around here, they suggested if you buy one brand, stick with it due to the menus being similar on the HT, mobiles, etc. I kind of like the Icom with DStar, and there are quite a few DStar repeaters around here.

But the Yaesu HT VX-8DR has APRS, and RX on .5Mhz to 999.90Mhz, and TX on 6/2/220/440. I think Pit Slave was saying I can mod it to transmit on FRS (so I don't have to buy a CB!!) and widen the 2m band from 118-174, or something like that. That would be nice. Talking to a guy at the HRO in Newark, DE, said he can do the MARS mod for me on the 350AR, but we didn't discuss the HT, and I'm not sure about the FRS part.

And I really want to move forward and get my General License to use HF 20m and lower. The Icon IC-7000 is sweet! But I guess that goes against staying wiht the same brand if I go with the two Yaesus above, and this one.

My head is spinning. THere's no such thing as a manufacturer making one device with ALL possible options.

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:01 pm

BlkWgn wrote:When you get your call sign you need to join me on the Outdoor Adventure USA Net on Thursday nights. You can pick it up on any repeater linked to the western reflector or on echolink

OAUSA.net

Cris
KJ6DZZ
Thanks, KJ6DZZ!!

As soon as I get my radio and figure this out, I'll be joining you!!

And as my other post said, I applied for a Vanity Call Sign. I don't know how long that will take.

KB3ZDJ
Cactus Red wrote:Congrats from KE7IXX!

Ham Radio Outlet or Universal Radio are the two biggest online retailers. Dunno how it is in your area, but I rarely see used equipment available. You might check Craigslist and see what pops up.

Thanks, KE7IXX!!

I've already talked to a guy named Bob at the HRO in New Castle, DE. My head's still spinning with all the possible features, options, etc. Definitely buying new for the warranty. :D

KB3ZDJ

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:03 pm

RustyPW wrote:Way to go Ace. :mrgreen: Now you have something else to play with..............................................................instead of your.............................................................................self. :lol:

Sorry to get back to you late. My router crapped out at home,and I been away on business for the last week. I'm doing this from work. :wink:
Hey, I'm an official HO! So no more playing... LOL!!!

And you need an official IT support team to fix that for you. LOL!

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:50 am

I researched new HT's when our search and rescue team had to switch to narrow band radios, what I eventually ordered was 25 Icom V80's. They are very robust, meeting milspec requirements, have 200 memory channels and have GREAT audio.

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:44 am

verdesardog wrote:I researched new HT's when our search and rescue team had to switch to narrow band radios, what I eventually ordered was 25 Icom V80's. They are very robust, meeting milspec requirements, have 200 memory channels and have GREAT audio.
So you like the Icoms over the Yaesu. I am actually leaning more towards Icom, too, specifically the IC-92AD HT. which is supposed to be similar to Mil specs: ".... superior waterproof protection and is equivalent to IPX7 (1m depth of underwater for 30 minutes)." So I guess I can use it underwater. Nice!

I think it can receive AM/FM radio channels, too. I'm not sure about FRS. IF I get it, I would like to mod it so I can widen the 2m band, and RX/TX on FRS. Do you know if that's possible?

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Yes you can increase the transmit frequency range, just do a search on the net. WOW! that's some radio you are getting. I would advise getting the cloning software so you can program your memory channels from your computer. It make it super simple. Programing using the radio front panel controls can be confusing and time consuming!

All of our radios require the extended transmit range because we use the public service freqs. I thought I was going to have to modify all of the ones I bought but the supplier modded them for us without me even asking. Modifying them is easy, just cut out one diode but you might need a magnifying glass to see what you are doing inside the modern radios, everything is surface mount and very small.

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:54 pm

verdesardog wrote:Yes you can increase the transmit frequency range, just do a search on the net. WOW! that's some radio you are getting. I would advise getting the cloning software so you can program your memory channels from your computer. It make it super simple. Programing using the radio front panel controls can be confusing and time consuming!

All of our radios require the extended transmit range because we use the public service freqs. I thought I was going to have to modify all of the ones I bought but the supplier modded them for us without me even asking. Modifying them is easy, just cut out one diode but you might need a magnifying glass to see what you are doing inside the modern radios, everything is surface mount and very small.
You should see the Excel sheet I've created over the past two weeks alone with just radio models with comparison columns, prices, even with pics! To give you an idea, I made the view smaller and screenshot the worksheet, below.

So you're saying I can mod it easily to extend 2m. Cool. The guy at the HRO said he could do it for the mobile radios, but at the time I wasn't considering an HT.

How about the FRS band? Can that be done? Love to use this for CB ~10m bands, too.
Attachments
radio1.png
radio2.png
radio3.png
radio4.png
radio5.png
radio6.png
radio7.png

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Aimee's new D.O.G. handy talkie:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Cute! :lol: That wouldn't last long with my 2 guys. :doh:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Nice!!

Yea, with my big black Shepherd, he'll tear that up in a jiffy.

And btw, I just got my vanity license:

KB1ACE

:D

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:28 pm

I got my plate too. :mrgreen:
Attachments
003.JPG
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:57 pm

RustyPW wrote:I got my plate too. :mrgreen:
Nismo?? Nissan?

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 am

AceMan wrote:
Nismo?? Nissan?
It's a Nissan 370Z Nismo. The Nismo stands for Nissan MotorSports. It's like the SRT's for Dodge. They only make so many a year. Mine is #307 out of 505. You know the trouble we have with the PW at dealerships for servive or buying parts. They don't know what it is. It's the samething with the Nismo. :doh:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:36 pm

So it looks like all manufacturers have the same problem. They put out a wonderful piece of engineering that their service department has no idea what they are or let alone service it.

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:23 pm

Good God! I don't even wanna know how much those bubble boy's set you back.

-----------------------

So with that selection for a radio, you are getting into the hobby aspect of the radio user. That's dangerous - just like wheelin', it only gets more $$$ from there! Wish I had access to a IRLP node, I could give ya a shout. You might find that's pretty fun - the IRLP network really opens up the world, even with an HT. I've chatted with Aussie's and Sud Afrikan's via IRLP.
I'm just along for the ride...

Throttle 8
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Throttle 8 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Wow those are some big footprints! What is the hp on that Nismo? Can it turn them?
2007PW, black, quad cab, G56 6spd, heated leather, sunroof, dual zone climate, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (315/70/17), Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Lund tonneau, Maple Offroad sliders, wheel wheel liners, K&N filter, bedliner, PIAA headlights, PIAA foglights, 24" LED lightbar behind grill, Carli Diff guard, Dodge Off Road steering brace, Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli Trac Bar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Carli ball joints, updated "T" style linkage, Odyssy battery, recovery gear, Studded Goodyear Duratrack 315/70/17 for winter

MY OTHER VEHICLE IS A LOCOMOTIVE

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Throttle 8 wrote:Wow those are some big footprints! What is the hp on that Nismo? Can it turn them?
He's got his girlfriend pushing. :rofl: :run:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:47 am

The tires are Mich PSS 275/35-19 front on 19x10 rim. The rear is 325/30-19 on 19x12 rim. 11" tread on front and 13" thread on rear. The 3 piece rims are from ForgeLine. I don't have enough grip, need more. Thinking on go to Hoosier R6's. 315/30-19 on 11" rim and 345/30-19 on a 13" rim. Be the same hieght as I have now. I don't have enough tire on the front. Getting some understeer mid corner. :shock:
Attachments
006.JPG
009.JPG
061.JPG
049.JPG
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ