Can't say enough good things about

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

Can't say enough good things about

Post by TwinStick » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:26 pm

the 2 places we went to. OK4WD in NJ & Main Line Overland in PA. The folks there were so nice. Each place spent hours with us answering our many, many questions, showing us their products. We appreciated it so much. Well worth the drive. We have lots to think about now. We skipped the place in Ohio. After seeing the XVenture trailer in person, it was pretty much over for all the other brands in my mind. You can put a 4'x8' piece of plywood in there & lay it flat. Big HD trailer for a big HD truck. Workmanship looked superb. I think a Jeep sized trailer is just too small for our trucks & too small for our intended "jack of all trades" use. Just MHO though. Different strokes for different folks. The 4WC Hawk also looked superb. Tiny, yes. But sure would seem sweet if weather was bad & you had to cook outside w/trailer. Each has its pros & cons. Lots to think about.

Cactus Red

Re: Can't say enough good things about

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Here's how I see it:

Trailers equal base camping. Setup/tear down time is longer, so moving on a daily basis is a not as easy. Sure you can do it, and with practice, it's under a half hour.

4WC Hawk offer very, very quick setup/tear down, yet is still suitable for extended stays. Space is limited, but yes, you can spend days in one in bad weather in comfort.

And, for me at least, a RTT is out. Ask around about how they are in days of bad weather. Super cramped...

If you really want to see a spacious tent, look at the AT Flippac. http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/at-flippac/

We're base campers. Find and area, setup the camper, go explore, return to a comfortable setup, and do it again the next day, or two, or three...

Mark
I'm just along for the ride...

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TommyG » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:57 am

You are right Twinstick, I am pretty lucky to be within a few hours of OK and Mainline, they are both great outfits to deal with.

You have a tough decision, both options are really cool.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Flippac is not an option for me. I have talked to a few people that said the fiberglass tends to crack over time. ( at the hinges & pole mounts) They do not carry them for that reason. That said VOLUMES to me. Sorry. I REALLY like the versatility of the XVenture. Plus it is on wheels, & easy to move around. Can go the the Home improvement store & load the shit out of it. Gravel pit. Soil, etc. Not just a single purpose use like the 4WC. The James Baroud Grand Raid XXL opened in 5 min or less & closed in the same time. The RTT on the Adventure Trailer opened in about 10-15 min & closed in the same time & seemed MUCH roomier than the JB GR XXL. I am confident in saying that 2 people that are familiar with either, would be able to do it pretty quickly. Both were setup by 1 person for us while we watched. IMHO, the 4WC would take about the same time. Have to go slow & make sure you didn't leave anything on counters or bed & also tuck in the ARTIC PACK insulation as well. Awnings as well, would take extra time. Wife seemed to like the RTT's better.

They both also carried ARB stuff. LOVED the bumper on their Ford SD. It was just plain AWESOME. Like i said, SO MUCH to think about. We may even wait to purchase a hardcore off-road trailer/camper. Thinking about working on the truck a little. Cap, ARB bumper, 2 tiered cargo slide, 2-63 or 82 qt ARB fridge/freezers (so we can stay gone a long time). By outfitting the truck first, it will also help us stay gone longer with the AR-ONE 18QB Extreme Travel Trailer as well. It will also work with an off-road trailer. I could easily spend 30k at either store.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:44 am

My friend All has over 300 nites in his Flippac with virtually no problems, and zero cracking. His only complaint is putting it down in wet weather, but that applies to any tent type setup.

We've made a change in gear too. The StarCraft 10RT we have will go nearly any place the truck and it will fit, but while it only takes 10 minutes to get setup to a weather tight condition, it takes another 30+ to get it ready to stay in. And longer than that to repack it. So we decided to get an RPOD 178 Western build with the 4" lift and 30" tires. It won't go where the other one did, but should do fine for mild off the main forest road tracks. Pull in, level it, push the button for the mini slide out, grab a beer from the fridge, and deploy the zero gravity chair...

We've stayed for a week on one 47l ARB with careful packing. Using square containers filled to the max, and leaving space for 4 adult beverages (take out a cold, one put a warm one in) With our current two, we could go longer yet by using one as a freezer. From my experience with them, for us an 80 for fresh food and a 50 for frozen would be a great choice.

Dennis Miller "You can't order black coffee anymore. It's un-creamed..."
I'm just along for the ride...

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TommyG » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:47 pm

TwinStick wrote:Flippac is not an option for me. I have talked to a few people that said the fiberglass tends to crack over time. ( at the hinges & pole mounts) They do not carry them for that reason. That said VOLUMES to me. Sorry. I REALLY like the versatility of the XVenture. Plus it is on wheels, & easy to move around. Can go the the Home improvement store & load the shit out of it. Gravel pit. Soil, etc. Not just a single purpose use like the 4WC. The James Baroud Grand Raid XXL opened in 5 min or less & closed in the same time. The RTT on the Adventure Trailer opened in about 10-15 min & closed in the same time & seemed MUCH roomier than the JB GR XXL. I am confident in saying that 2 people that are familiar with either, would be able to do it pretty quickly. Both were setup by 1 person for us while we watched. IMHO, the 4WC would take about the same time. Have to go slow & make sure you didn't leave anything on counters or bed & also tuck in the ARTIC PACK insulation as well. Awnings as well, would take extra time. Wife seemed to like the RTT's better.

They both also carried ARB stuff. LOVED the bumper on their Ford SD. It was just plain AWESOME. Like i said, SO MUCH to think about. We may even wait to purchase a hardcore off-road trailer/camper. Thinking about working on the truck a little. Cap, ARB bumper, 2 tiered cargo slide, 2-63 or 82 qt ARB fridge/freezers (so we can stay gone a long time). By outfitting the truck first, it will also help us stay gone longer with the AR-ONE 18QB Extreme Travel Trailer as well. It will also work with an off-road trailer. I could easily spend 30k at either store.
The other cool thing about the XVenture setup is you can throw the RTT from the trailer onto your truck if you want to travel light for a trip where you are going to change location often. I was kind of thinking a trailer was silly when we have such big trucks but I am starting to come around on the trailer set up. You could go full XVenture for trips where you sill have a base camp and go with paired down gear and the RTT on the truck for rougher trails or frequent location changes. Lots of versatility there.

Was the Ford the regular cab with the flat green wrap finish? That thing is awesome.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

cell4soul
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by cell4soul » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Cactus Red wrote:My friend All has over 300 nites in his Flippac with virtually no problems, and zero cracking. His only complaint is putting it down in wet weather, but that applies to any tent type setup.

We've made a change in gear too. The StarCraft 10RT we have will go nearly any place the truck and it will fit, but while it only takes 10 minutes to get setup to a weather tight condition, it takes another 30+ to get it ready to stay in. And longer than that to repack it. So we decided to get an RPOD 178 Western build with the 4" lift and 30" tires. It won't go where the other one did, but should do fine for mild off the main forest road tracks. Pull in, level it, push the button for the mini slide out, grab a beer from the fridge, and deploy the zero gravity chair...

We've stayed for a week on one 47l ARB with careful packing. Using square containers filled to the max, and leaving space for 4 adult beverages (take out a cold, one put a warm one in) With our current two, we could go longer yet by using one as a freezer. From my experience with them, for us an 80 for fresh food and a 50 for frozen would be a great choice.

My wife an I just bought an RPOD 179 for similar reasons as you. I already had an Engel fridge, so I can camp for extended periods of time. I generally like setting up a base camp and using the truck to explore from there. I also have a Kodiak Canvas tent, cots, -30 degree sleeping bags, and all the other camping essentials if I want to camp in very remote locations. The wife loves the trailer, otherwise I probably would have been fine with the tent.
2006 Power Wagon, factory rock rails, Carli 3" with Carli control arms and Deaver rear springs, Bilstein shocks with remote reservoir, 2008.5+ steering upgrade, 37" Cooper STT's on stock wheels, Warn wireless winch controller, Dynatrac ball joints........and more to come as the wallet allows.

TheDirtRoad
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by TheDirtRoad » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:12 pm

cell4soul wrote:
Cactus Red wrote:My friend All has over 300 nites in his Flippac with virtually no problems, and zero cracking. His only complaint is putting it down in wet weather, but that applies to any tent type setup.

My wife an I just bought an RPOD 179 for similar reasons as you. I already had an Engel fridge, so I can camp for extended periods of time. I generally like setting up a base camp and using the truck to explore from there. I also have a Kodiak Canvas tent, cots, -30 degree sleeping bags, and all the other camping essentials if I want to camp in very remote locations. The wife loves the trailer, otherwise I probably would have been fine with the tent.
We bought an RPOD 175 Hood river edition in 2011 and we really enjoy it, plus we have an Engle fridge/freezer we mount in the truck. I have done quite a few mods to the RPOD , added another 2" of lift , raised the tongue jack , raised the spare tire,removed the microwave( built a pantry in place of it),125 watt solar panel,360 degree external lighting that is remote controlled from the truck or in the trailer, I just finished building a mount for a 40" LCD TV(old tv from the house bought a 55"), and now I am in the process of designing under carriage protection. We can take it in a lot places others can't get there trailers. We use it as a base camp,1 reason for the external lighting so we can light it up when we get back to camp after dark.

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:06 pm

Cactus Red wrote:
We have been looking at our options too. The RP178 or 179 look like great options to me. Mostly we want space inside as in bad weather or a camp ground space can make or break that feeling of freedom and comfort. My wife and I can't seem to agree yet as she is leaning to a short fifth wheel with one or two slides still and I'm after a trailer for a tow hitch with expandable space. Used would be our only option as money is getting tighter every day. We have had two popups (last one I lifted) and just don't want that setup hassle again. We were in a bad storm at Flaming Gorge lake in Wyoming and we had to pop it down and sleep on the floor because the canvas was going to rip apart.

I'm leaning towards a Rockwood Roo 21DK or 21SS. I would lift it but alas the wife is not on board at all with the pop out tent trailer style beds. We shall see, if I locate a used one I may get her to agree or at a minimum go look at it. We've got other priorities pressing but soon enough we will get serious about looking.

We looked at a slide in cab over FWC and it just will not work for us, they are nice for sure though.

My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

cell4soul
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cell4soul » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:03 am

TheDirtRoad wrote:
cell4soul wrote:

We bought an RPOD 175 Hood river edition in 2011 and we really enjoy it, plus we have an Engle fridge/freezer we mount in the truck. I have done quite a few mods to the RPOD , added another 2" of lift , raised the tongue jack , raised the spare tire,removed the microwave( built a pantry in place of it),125 watt solar panel,360 degree external lighting that is remote controlled from the truck or in the trailer, I just finished building a mount for a 40" LCD TV(old tv from the house bought a 55"), and now I am in the process of designing under carriage protection. We can take it in a lot places others can't get there trailers. We use it as a base camp,1 reason for the external lighting so we can light it up when we get back to camp after dark.
How did you go about lifting the trailer with the Torflex axle? Did you just add taller blocks between the axle and trailer frame, or did you swap out the axle? I have the Hood River Edition as well and also considering lifting it a little more. I am considering swapping the axle to a 5,000 lb. leaf spring system.
2006 Power Wagon, factory rock rails, Carli 3" with Carli control arms and Deaver rear springs, Bilstein shocks with remote reservoir, 2008.5+ steering upgrade, 37" Cooper STT's on stock wheels, Warn wireless winch controller, Dynatrac ball joints........and more to come as the wallet allows.

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:36 pm

I believe they list it as an option, it is shown as "Axle riser 20 lb" and I believe they specify it will add 20 lb to the trailer. I know on the AR One if ordering the Extreme package you get 5” extra ground clearance and a different entry step.

http://www.starcraftrv.com/light-weight ... d-options/

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-d ... owParent=1

My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

cell4soul
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cell4soul » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:30 pm

azracer wrote:I believe they list it as an option, it is shown as "Axle riser 20 lb" and I believe they specify it will add 20 lb to the trailer. I know on the AR One if ordering the Extreme package you get 5” extra ground clearance and a different entry step.

http://www.starcraftrv.com/light-weight ... d-options/

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-d ... owParent=1

Thanks for the info. My trailer already has the standard axle riser, but I was considering going a little taller. I think that having a taller axle riser fabricated would lack in strength, which is why I considered going to an axle/leaf spring set up instead of the Torflex axle. Also, the Torflex axle on the trailer is rated for 3500lbs . The dry weight on the trailer is right at 3,000 lbs. by the time I load it down, I am pushing the limits of that axle. I probably won't do anything for a while......I'd rather put some more money into the Power Wagon.

TheDirtRoad
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by TheDirtRoad » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:43 pm

How did you go about lifting the trailer with the Torflex axle? Did you just add taller blocks between the axle and trailer frame, or did you swap out the axle? I have the Hood River Edition as well and also considering lifting it a little more. I am considering swapping the axle to a 5,000 lb. leaf spring system.[/quote]
IMGP0002.JPG
I was going to build a whole new riser but instead I just added a 2" square pipe spacer and stronger bolts. To make a template for the bolt holes I removed the bolts from one side raised the trailer enough so I could slide a heavy piece of paper in between then set the trailer back down, the weight imprinted the paper for exact location of bolt holes. The trailer pulls the same as it did before the extra lift and I have had it on there since 2011 and taken the trailer in some rough terrain with no issues.The photo is giving the illusion that it isn't square but it is, ( I had to go back out and make sure after looking at the photo) .

cell4soul
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cell4soul » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 pm

TheDirtRoad wrote:How did you go about lifting the trailer with the Torflex axle? Did you just add taller blocks between the axle and trailer frame, or did you swap out the axle? I have the Hood River Edition as well and also considering lifting it a little more. I am considering swapping the axle to a 5,000 lb. leaf spring system.
IMGP0002.JPG
I was going to build a whole new riser but instead I just added a 2" square pipe spacer and stronger bolts. To make a template for the bolt holes I removed the bolts from one side raised the trailer enough so I could slide a heavy piece of paper in between then set the trailer back down, the weight imprinted the paper for exact location of bolt holes. The trailer pulls the same as it did before the extra lift and I have had it on there since 2011 and taken the trailer in some rough terrain with no issues.The photo is giving the illusion that it isn't square but it is, ( I had to go back out and make sure after looking at the photo) .[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about doing the same thing that you did to add some lift, but wasn't sure about how strong it would be. I am glad to hear you have had it down rough terrain. I may just have to do this.