Ok.... Props to these guys. I'm impressed.

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ldgregory » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:20 pm

Pretty fast spooling winch too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-uhEqbBbn0
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk over a 300 baud Racal-Vadic Acoustically Coupled Modem.
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Ok.... Props to these guys. I'm impressed.

Post by vanished » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Crazy! Lol

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:08 pm

That would be intense. We used to have a trail here that was similar called Armageddon, and there were times when it was wet too, but not like that. I never got to drive it, just observed a couple runs back in 2001. It was a 5/5 scale trail, and at that point I was only doing 3 to 4 rated stuff. These guys all drove this without a hook.

http://www.azrockcrawler.com/_images/20 ... ddon4.html

Heck, you had to be locked on both ends with 33" tires just to get to the first obstacle - the chute shown in the photos. It got worse from there!
Attachments
armageddon 1.jpg
armageddon 2.jpg
armageddon 3.jpg
I'm just along for the ride...

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ldgregory » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Nice! Doesn't look like that thing has much articulation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk over a 300 baud Racal-Vadic Acoustically Coupled Modem.
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 pm

ldgregory wrote:Pretty fast spooling winch too.

phpBB [video]

Now that looks like fun!! I love those crazy trails!
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model Year: 2006

Post by AceMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:51 am

ldgregory wrote:Pretty fast spooling winch too.

phpBB [video]

vanished wrote:Crazy! Lol

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

X2 on the crazy!!

And what kind of winch is that!??
Did you ever notice that after Monday and Tuesday the calendar says "WTF"?
KB1ACE - Kilo-Bravo-One-Alpha-Charlie-Echo
Power Wagon Owner's Club #110

Black '06 PW QC
Auto, REC Nav/Sat UConnect, Reverse cam, MyGig v2 Lockpick, adj pedals, Tow mirrors, aftermarket heated seats.
Mods: Mopar Rock Rails, Carr steps (what's left of them), Toyo MT 35x12.5x17, Mopar 8.5 "T"-Linkage, Carli Trackbar (frameside 16mm bolt), King 2.5 Reservoir shocks, Carli Progressive coils, Carli Front Diff Protector, Rockcrusher rear diff, Carli Low Mount Damper, KC 55 watt rear floods w/Defiant bracket, RetroSolutions 12W LED rev & brake lights, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads, 4th Gen Steering Box, Spicer axle U-joints, 4G DTProfab Steering brace ground 3/8" offset to fit my 3G 2006 with a 4G box.
Sitting in Garage: Ram SRT10 A-Pillar.
Image Image Image

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:20 am

Hard to see it, but the only Warn that fast is the 8274.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:25 pm

In the UK, it is the winch of choice. They have SO MANY mods that you can do to them. One is to double the line speed (which is already very fast). You can also reduce the gears & slow it down. To my knowledge, nothing like that is avail for any other winch. The 8274 ROCKS !!!

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Yup, it's probably a 24V 8274. That doubles the speed as well.

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 pm

So I had to look it up out of curiosity. It's an 8000 lb winch, a little light foe our purposes.

Anyway, here's the history on it:
http://www.warn.com/blog/2011/03/02/the ... inch.shtml

It has 150' line capacity with a no load speed of 74'/min. Wow! It can reel in the whole line in about 2 min.
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8274-50.shtml

Too bad the M15000 can't do that.

Black '06 PW QC
Auto, REC Nav/Sat UConnect, Reverse cam, MyGig v2 Lockpick, adj pedals, Tow mirrors, aftermarket heated seats.
Mods: Mopar Rock Rails, Carr steps (what's left of them), Toyo MT 35x12.5x17, Mopar 8.5 "T"-Linkage, Carli Trackbar (frameside 16mm bolt), King 2.5 Reservoir shocks, Carli Progressive coils, Carli Front Diff Protector, Rockcrusher rear diff, Carli Low Mount Damper, KC 55 watt rear floods w/Defiant bracket, RetroSolutions 12W LED rev & brake lights, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads, 4th Gen Steering Box, Spicer axle U-joints, 4G DTProfab Steering brace ground 3/8" offset to fit my 3G 2006 with a 4G box.
Image Image Image

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Cactus Red wrote:Yup, it's probably a 24V 8274. That doubles the speed as well.

Based on the M15000 specs, our winches are about 22.2'/min. The specs also indicate using 24v, it only increases speed to 28'/min.
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M15000.shtml

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Hmm!

Indeed, it doesn't double it up. Guess thats a myth I've heard and repeated...

It goes up about 25% at max load, and is actually slower at no load.

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Cactus Red wrote:Hmm!

Indeed, it doesn't double it up. Guess thats a myth I've heard and repeated...

It goes up about 25% at max load, and is actually slower at no load.
IIRC my electronics courses 30 years ago, I think to double speed of a motor with doubling voltage, has something to do with the number of windings, the stators, brushes, and/or strength of the magnets. I would have to research it further for specifics. I do remember messing with low voltage motors on a bench and instead of 1.5v, doubled it to 3v, the motor spun like crazy compared to 1.5c, but we didn't measure the rotational speed. We didn't have to for the experiment.

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Ok, I had to look it up out of curiosity. The lower the voltage a motor is designed for, requires more windings to do the same job as a motor designed for higher voltage. Now in AC, speed is controlled by AC frequency proportional to voltage. In DC, it's by volts, but it depends on the number of windings and volt tolerances. Either way, if you give to too many volts for AC or DC past its design tolerances it will fry the windings.

More here:
http://www.electriciantalk.com/f28/dual ... ors-12675/

Apparently, Warn designed the M15000 and others as multi-voltage, so they've taken that into account.

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image