Steering shaft/box

Ak68w
Model Year: 2012

Steering shaft/box

Post by Ak68w » Thu May 02, 2019 3:09 pm

Is this normal? The box is about a year old. I can feel a dead spot in the steering. I grab the shaft under the dash with one hand and the wheel in the other and it seems tight and in unison. All u joints are tight. Pulled the boot and really couldn’t see any play unless I push up and down on it at the joint. I’m just not sure if this box is supposed to do this or not but I’m really sick of the slop and dead spot in this steering. The clunking sound is in the steering box itself.

https://youtu.be/OcMZQUa-ykE

Thanks for replies!

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: Steering shaft/box

Post by PWJouster » Thu May 02, 2019 4:38 pm

pretty sure this movement is due to the Backlash that is designed into the steering box.
you can tighten up the Lash with a nifty adjuster on the top of the steering box. look up this process on youtube.
but ive heard you do not want to go too far or you may introduce binding into the system.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Thu May 02, 2019 5:45 pm

PWJouster wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:38 pm
pretty sure this movement is due to the Backlash that is designed into the steering box.
you can tighten up the Lash with a nifty adjuster on the top of the steering box. look up this process on youtube.
but ive heard you do not want to go too far or you may introduce binding into the system.
Yeah I had adjusted the last one too far, it was worn out anyways. Any thoughts on the clunk? I’m curious how this compares to others or if there is a spec on it

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Steering shaft/box

Post by DamageWagon » Tue May 07, 2019 11:51 am

1. Gearboxes are intended to have the least backlash when they are on-center

2. Gearboxes experience least backlash when they are pressurized. Engine-off testing will show different results.

3. In my opinion the adjustment of these gearboxes should not be done. I have never seen it work as a lasting improvement and it only seems to increase rate of wear as the gearbox is already on its last breath. That adjustment is for the factory to set, and is not really useful once the gearbox has already started to wear.

4. I have always experienced some clunk in my gearboxes when going down certain roads like gravel or some washboard roads. It is overcoming the resistance of the flow and tapping each side of the gear tooth due to the backlash that must be there.

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Wed May 08, 2019 10:18 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:51 am
1. Gearboxes are intended to have the least backlash when they are on-center

2. Gearboxes experience least backlash when they are pressurized. Engine-off testing will show different results.

3. In my opinion the adjustment of these gearboxes should not be done. I have never seen it work as a lasting improvement and it only seems to increase rate of wear as the gearbox is already on its last breath. That adjustment is for the factory to set, and is not really useful once the gearbox has already started to wear.

4. I have always experienced some clunk in my gearboxes when going down certain roads like gravel or some washboard roads. It is overcoming the resistance of the flow and tapping each side of the gear tooth due to the backlash that must be there.
Are there any specs you are aware of on the lash/ or play?also I’m curious how this compares to others on the site here. With the engine on if I turn the wheel/tires to say halfway there is a large amount of movement in the wheel before the teeth meet and allow the tires to turn. This deadspot is concerning to me and annoying while driving, especially being that I just replaced the Box a year ago. I’m wondering if the box went bad prematurely

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed May 08, 2019 9:10 pm

There is no public ally available spec because that screw isn’t an adjuster. There is no adjustment. It is meant to be set once and forever. That there is a factory permission that the user can adjust it 1/3 turn is a joke. It doesn’t work. It gets built with that screw adjusted and that’s it.

Is your fluid red, clear or black?

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Sat May 11, 2019 3:24 am

Just to reiterate what DamageWagon has already stated, because it's very important, that adjustment screw on the top of the box isn't to be adjusted while on the vehicle, regardless of how many fools on YouTube will tell you to do so. That screw is to be adjusted in a particular manner that is impossible to do while the box is on the truck. Adjust it wrong and your steering box could bind and prevent steering past a certain point, which is obviously quite dangerous.

What brand is the replacement box? New or Remanufactured?
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Wed May 22, 2019 11:23 am

Sorry guys I haven’t checked the fluid color or got up underneath to determine what brand it is. However on the receipt it does show it was a reman, for 690$

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu May 23, 2019 12:13 am

One of these days I'll sell my OEM box with 20k miles on it.

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:51 pm

DFF9D696-2D95-46FD-808B-94972007C8D2.jpeg
Above is the PN.

Looked at the power steering fluid today during oil change and it is red.