Locker Bypass / Locker Engagement question

Idaho RC
Model Year: 2017

Locker Bypass / Locker Engagement question

Post by Idaho RC » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:40 pm

I recently installed the locker bypass kit in my 2017. It works fantastic. I am wondering what everyone thinks about what speed is acceptable to engage the lockers? Of course I understand that you don't want to engage them when there is a load on them. Is it OK to engage the lockers at say 45 mph when there is no load on them? I really like my lockers and don't want to toast them because I was being stupid.

What do the experts have to say?

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Locker Bypass / Locker Engagement question

Post by Bill2014 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:38 pm

Can't imagine you need the lockers at high speed... :lol:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:18 am

Not really sure what a limit should be. I probably would not try over 15mph. I have seen other makes allow engagement up to that speed. I am sure as speed goes up so do potential stresses of things aligning by a good measure. I cant wait to get mine installed so I can use them with high range on the drive home on certain snow days where Low is way over kill and slow.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:01 pm

I really don’t know about the oem lockers, but arb air lockers can be actuated at high speed just fine as long as you’re going straight and not under heavy load. I’d imagine it’s somewhat similar, forward speed being less important than speed differentiation between drive wheels on the axle to be locked.

A locked rear at high speed is tons of fun in the dirt! I usually lock up before that speed is reached though.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Even if you think there's no load on the system and you're driving perfectly straight, there might be tire wear and pressure differences that effect the overall circumference of the tires causing differential action in the gears. The manufacturer puts a 3 MPH engagement nanny on the system for a reason and I think it's best to stick with their parameters. Once you're locked, 119 MPH is the next nanny threshold in the factory system. You better have a trophy truck to achieve that limit. :jawdrop:

Idaho RC
Model Year: 2017

Post by Idaho RC » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:19 pm

Colibri wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:01 pm
I really don’t know about the oem lockers, but arb air lockers can be actuated at high speed just fine as long as you’re going straight and not under heavy load. I’d imagine it’s somewhat similar, forward speed being less important than speed differentiation between drive wheels on the axle to be locked.

A locked rear at high speed is tons of fun in the dirt! I usually lock up before that speed is reached though.
Exactly what I think, but I am just guessing. I would like to hear from someone that really knows about the lockers. I don't want to cause any unnecessary damage. Maybe time will tell with feedback from other locker bypass owners? I would really hate for someone to destroy their lockers because we don't really know their limits.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:40 pm

I never engaged my oem lockers at high speed, but I did run them at high speed plenty. The rear was fine and showed no abnormal wear, but the front case had hairline cracks in it after that kind of use.

I personally think 3mph is overly conservative but I understand why they set such a low limit.

The rear I would be comfortable locking up and beating on at any speed. The front I wouldn’t. A few times I did full throttle hill climbs with the front locked on dirt and stony ground. Not especially high traction, but I think the shock loads were more than the case could handle.

I kind of wish I still had an oem locker to destructively test lol. My arb’s I’ve locked in at higher speed and had no trouble, but they are built of much higher quality material than the oem
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol