Locker Bypass Rebirth

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 928
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:39 am

Idaho RC wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:47 pm
My Power Wagon is a 2017. Sorry for not making that clear.

This will be so awesome I hope you get these built.
Thanks for clarifying that. I was basing my info off of the model year that shows up under your username. I know the site was stuck on 2014 for a long time, but the mods have fixed it now. You might want to go into your user control panel and update it. It's found on the "Profile" tab.
:patriot:
jakestopp244 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:22 pm
also dont know if it matters but i have a late 2012 it has the borg tcase not the new process that the early 2012s have just a heads up for when u get around to mine
Thanks for that info. Actually as far as this locker bypass is concerned 10-13 all stay the same, it's the 11.5" rear diff that changes the type of connector that gets used in 2014 and following.
:patriot:

The current locker bypass list:

1. Lancer29 (waiting on 3rd Gen terminals that are on order)
2. Olyelr (2016)
3. AlaskaTRX (2017)
4. TankerZak (2016)
5. EasyDoesIt (2018)
6. Jakestopp244 (Late 2012)
7. RamV (2016)
8. Snowho (2018)
9. w2dodge (2005)
10. aleelopez (2008)
11. Idaho RC (2017)

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 928
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:08 am

In other news... After reverse engineering this locker bypass system and finding all the components, I had success communicating with CajunPW, who was the last person to sell this system. It turns out I'll be buying all his old inventory of parts, as well as all the supporting documents and info about this product. :rockon: So this won't be a bootleg system after all, it's gonna be the real deal! :D

The big difference is, this time the 3rd Gen's are included! :rockon:

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2303
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:09 pm

So the secret code to communicate with Cajun was only unlocked after you had fully reverse engineered the thing

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 5052
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by RustyPW » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Question on the 3G. Will it have a separate switch like the older bypasses, or it goes through the factory knob?
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '19 AOAA,

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 5052
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by RustyPW » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Question on the 3G. Will it have a separate switch like the older bypasses, or it goes through the factory knob?
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '19 AOAA,

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 928
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:15 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:30 pm
Question on the 3G. Will it have a separate switch like the older bypasses, or it goes through the factory knob?
It will function through the factory knob.
It’s going to use a different control box housing mounted behind the knee bolster under the steering column. I tried finding a good location in the engine compartment to mount the control box, but it just seems too tight. Since the T harness needs to plug in under the dashboard, it just seems easiest to mount the control box under the dashboard as well and then route the harness to the fuse box and lockers. I should be building a prototype this weekend.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 5052
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by RustyPW » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:40 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:15 pm
RustyPW wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:30 pm
Question on the 3G. Will it have a separate switch like the older bypasses, or it goes through the factory knob?
It will function through the factory knob.
It’s going to use a different control box housing mounted behind the knee bolster under the steering column. I tried finding a good location in the engine compartment to mount the control box, but it just seems too tight. Since the T harness needs to plug in under the dashboard, it just seems easiest to mount the control box under the dashboard as well and then route the harness to the fuse box and lockers. I should be building a prototype this weekend.
What would the price be?
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '19 AOAA,

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 928
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:00 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:40 pm
What would the price be?
It's looking like all of these kits are going to be $450 to start with. If I can find better prices on the components from different vendors, the price will come down. A portion of the money from each unit will be donated to PWR for providing a platform to make this all possible.

User avatar
aleelopez
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:29 pm
Model Year: 2008

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by aleelopez » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 pm

🇺🇸👌👍🇺🇸

06 Arizona Wagon
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 10:12 am
Model Year: 2006
Location: Gilbert, AZ

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by 06 Arizona Wagon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Please put me down for a 3rd gen kit 2006. Can not thank you enough for making these....
Kevin
06 Arizona Wagon
2006 PW, 315/70r17 BFG KO2s, Whiteknuckle Offroad sliders, 08.5 steering upgrade, DOR diff covers, 'Protop' reinforced shell, Line-X'ed, Frontrunner platform rack, Superchips tuner, Thuren shackles, Fox 2.0s

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 928
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:16 am

The current locker bypass list:

1. Lancer29 (2005)(Building a prototype 12/2 thru 12/3)
2. Olyelr (2016)
3. AlaskaTRX (2017)
4. TankerZak (2016)
5. EasyDoesIt (2018)
6. Jakestopp244 (Late 2012)
7. RamV (2016)
8. Snowho (2018)
9. w2dodge (2005)
10. aleelopez (2008)
11. Idaho RC (2017)
12. 06 Arizona Wagon (2006)

RPS1030
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:46 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Phoenix

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by RPS1030 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:28 am

RPS1030 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:41 am
I’ll jump in line for my 2016.
Please put me down for a 4th gen kit for my 2016.

Thanks for getting it going again.

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3648
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by olyelr » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Quick few questions on these units...

So this setup essentially bypasses the brains in the smart bar, correct?

Using this setup should essentially make it much quicker for the lockers to lock/unlock, correct?

When in 4-low with this setup, it still by-passes all the brains in the smartbar, correct?




My main reason for wanting this is to get a much quicker lock/unlock response out of the lockers. I typically prefer to drive around unlocked until I know I need them, and with this stock setup it is almost a joke to be able to do that. I may have just gotten spoiled with my Rubicon, but those damn things were instant on and off every time (which were by-passed). Different animal, I know, but that is what I am hoping for with this kit.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 928
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:53 pm

olyelr wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:51 pm
Quick few questions on these units...

So this setup essentially bypasses the brains in the smart bar, correct?

Using this setup should essentially make it much quicker for the lockers to lock/unlock, correct?

When in 4-low with this setup, it still by-passes all the brains in the smartbar, correct?

My main reason for wanting this is to get a much quicker lock/unlock response out of the lockers. I typically prefer to drive around unlocked until I know I need them, and with this stock setup it is almost a joke to be able to do that. I may have just gotten spoiled with my Rubicon, but those damn things were instant on and off every time (which were by-passed). Different animal, I know, but that is what I am hoping for with this kit.
Yeah, this should probably be called a “SmartBar Locker Bypass”. So yes, it bypasses the brains in the SmartBar and gives you direct control of the lockers. It’s basically plug and play hardwired lockers using the O.E. dash knob, and yes it makes it instant on and off in any transfer case range. No more blinking locker light!

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 928
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:32 am

It's been a long day.

3rd Gen LB - 4.jpg
The first ever 3rd Gen. control box and T-harness.

3rd Gen LB - 2.jpg
Comparing the new, smaller 3rd Gen. control box on the left to the original 4th Gen. control box on the right.

3rd Gen LB - 3.jpg
A little different layout internally.

3rd Gen LB - 1.jpg
A little shorter to fit under the dashboard better

Tomorrow, finish the harness, test install, write new installation instructions, box it up and ship it out.
This one has your name on it Lancer29.
:patriot:

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 928
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:57 am

The current locker bypass list:

1. Lancer29 (2005)(Building a prototype 12/2 thru 12/3)
2. Olyelr (2016) On hold until after the holidays
3. AlaskaTRX (2017)
4. TankerZak (2016)
5. EasyDoesIt (2018)
6. Jakestopp244 (Late 2012)
7. RamV (2016)
8. Snowho (2018)
9. w2dodge (2005)
10. aleelopez (2008)
11. Idaho RC (2017)
12. 06 Arizona Wagon (2006)
13. RPS1030 (2016)

User avatar
Mule007
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 9:27 pm
Location: Colton, Oregon

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Mule007 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:22 am

Good work Retired BLM Rig, WOW am impressed! Thank you !
2005 Mineral Gray; #0666: Laramie, Leather, power/heated seats, dual cab control zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise, music & volume controls, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcgoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails low profile steps; 1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum SRT-10 A-pillar pod mount programmable performance chip, monitor, tuner; Linex Platinum OTR black armor bed & rock panel HD coating; matching Range Rider cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard light bar w/ 4-KC Rally 400 Series 4” Halogen off road lights; S&B CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder cat back dual exhaust; Remote start; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black accent fender flares; PW winch kit & remote control;
Tools: 60” Extreme High Lift; hand tools, tow straps, shackles, chains, cables, off road rigging, F & R tire chains, 1 H2O
& 2 rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans.
Updates: New Jasper Remanufactured 5.7 Hemi Engine (3 yr/100’000 mi warranty), Open Range All Terrain 35 x 12.5 x 17 MP3 10 ply E tires; McQuay-Norris Extreme ball joints (upper & lower); driveline u joints; fuel pump; 1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; new front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180 amp alternator, Interstate Mega-tron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump & serpentine belt; Bilstein 2 5100 shocks & steering damper.

lancer29
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:09 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by lancer29 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:09 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:32 am
It's been a long day.


3rd Gen LB - 4.jpg



3rd Gen LB - 2.jpg



3rd Gen LB - 3.jpg



3rd Gen LB - 1.jpg


Tomorrow, finish the harness, test install, write new installation instructions, box it up and ship it out.
This one has your name on it Lancer29.
:patriot:
Fantastic! Thanks so much for your work on this. Just PM me and we can work out the payment and shipping details. Thanks again.
2005 Dodge Power Wagon
1977 Ford Bronco
1980 Toyota FJ40

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 5052
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by RustyPW » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:04 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:53 pm
olyelr wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:51 pm
Quick few questions on these units...

So this setup essentially bypasses the brains in the smart bar, correct?

Using this setup should essentially make it much quicker for the lockers to lock/unlock, correct?

When in 4-low with this setup, it still by-passes all the brains in the smartbar, correct?

My main reason for wanting this is to get a much quicker lock/unlock response out of the lockers. I typically prefer to drive around unlocked until I know I need them, and with this stock setup it is almost a joke to be able to do that. I may have just gotten spoiled with my Rubicon, but those damn things were instant on and off every time (which were by-passed). Different animal, I know, but that is what I am hoping for with this kit.
Yeah, this should probably be called a “SmartBar Locker Bypass”. So yes, it bypasses the brains in the SmartBar and gives you direct control of the lockers. It’s basically plug and play hardwired lockers using the O.E. dash knob, and yes it makes it instant on and off in any transfer case range. No more blinking locker light!
This answered the other question I had running around in my head. :rockon:

Put me in for one too. 3G 2008.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '19 AOAA,

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3648
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by olyelr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:07 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:53 pm

Yeah, this should probably be called a “SmartBar Locker Bypass”. So yes, it bypasses the brains in the SmartBar and gives you direct control of the lockers. It’s basically plug and play hardwired lockers using the O.E. dash knob, and yes it makes it instant on and off in any transfer case range. No more blinking locker light!
:excited:

Thats what I wanted to hear!

Do you have instructions made up for this yet? If so can you post up a picture of them? Just curious what all is entailed.... a man of my caliber will probably mindfawk this install for two days before taking a full day to actually install it.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

User avatar
Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1457
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 am

This is indeed awesome work!!!

Common sense warning - I hope we all understand the following:
Everyone needs to be aware that there can be some severe consequences if the dial now inadvertently gets switched on - on the highway at high speed - by a child or wife - and either or both differentials actually lock up. Just imagine the possibilities... Also, don't ever turn the dial when you are stuck with the wheels spinning...
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

User avatar
Retired BLM Rig
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 928
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:15 am

Bill2014 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 am
This is indeed awesome work!!!

Common sense warning - I hope we all understand the following:
Everyone needs to be aware that there can be some severe consequences if the dial now inadvertently gets switched on - on the highway at high speed - by a child or wife - and either or both differentials actually lock up. Just imagine the possibilities... Also, don't ever turn the dial when you are stuck with the wheels spinning...
All valid points to be aware of. There's about 100 of these out in the wild from previous builders, I wonder if anyone with an original unit has ever experienced accidental engagement?
The easiest way to overcome this fear is to just pull the fuse if you know that you're not going to be using it, or put a toggle switch on the ground wire.

User avatar
TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:43 pm
Model Year: 2016

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by TankerZak » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Bill2014 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 am
This is indeed awesome work!!!

Common sense warning - I hope we all understand the following:
Everyone needs to be aware that there can be some severe consequences if the dial now inadvertently gets switched on - on the highway at high speed - by a child or wife - and either or both differentials actually lock up. Just imagine the possibilities... Also, don't ever turn the dial when you are stuck with the wheels spinning...
All valid points to be aware of. There's about 100 of these out in the wild from previous builders, I wonder if anyone with an original unit has ever experienced accidental engagement?
The easiest way to overcome this fear is to just pull the fuse if you know that you're not going to be using it, or put a toggle switch on the ground wire.
Anyway to wire in a disable switch?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, DOR steering brace, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, AMP BedStep, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

User avatar
Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1457
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Northern NY

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:30 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 am
Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Bill2014 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 am
This is indeed awesome work!!!

Common sense warning - I hope we all understand the following:
Everyone needs to be aware that there can be some severe consequences if the dial now inadvertently gets switched on - on the highway at high speed - by a child or wife - and either or both differentials actually lock up. Just imagine the possibilities... Also, don't ever turn the dial when you are stuck with the wheels spinning...
All valid points to be aware of. There's about 100 of these out in the wild from previous builders, I wonder if anyone with an original unit has ever experienced accidental engagement?
The easiest way to overcome this fear is to just pull the fuse if you know that you're not going to be using it, or put a toggle switch on the ground wire.
Anyway to wire in a disable switch?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
:rofl: A bypass bypass :rofl:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

User avatar
Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Model Year: 2015
Location: Eagle River, Alaska

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
TankerZak wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 am
Retired BLM Rig wrote: All valid points to be aware of. There's about 100 of these out in the wild from previous builders, I wonder if anyone with an original unit has ever experienced accidental engagement?
The easiest way to overcome this fear is to just pull the fuse if you know that you're not going to be using it, or put a toggle switch on the ground wire.
Anyway to wire in a disable switch?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
:rofl: A bypass bypass :rofl:
I was thinking the same thing but I wasn’t gonna say it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Post Reply