Rear Diff Bearings Already

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Rear Diff Bearings Already

Post by 16PW » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:36 pm

I took my 16 PW into the dealer for a recall and a few other issues. One of them being a whine coming from the rear. The truck only has 29k miles and only 3k is from me. Just got a call from the dealer today saying the rear needs new bearings. Pretty crazy with a truck with such low miles, but oh well. That will be a new rear end and my rental is a new challenger with a 5.7 hemi so thats pretty fun to drive. I'm glad I stuck with buying a used truck that still has a bumper to bumper warranty.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Re: Rear Diff Bearings Already

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:57 pm

What are the odds the gears were set up wrong from the factory and the dealer is incompetent so they're throwing parts at it? Makes you wonder if that's why the truck was traded in after the dealer couldn't fix it and told the previous owner it was normal.

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 16PW » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:08 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:57 pm
What are the odds the gears were set up wrong from the factory and the dealer is incompetent so they're throwing parts at it? Makes you wonder if that's why the truck was traded in after the dealer couldn't fix it and told the previous owner it was normal.
That is definitely possible. I have a little faith in them since they are a big dealer and have probably the biggest shop in AZ, but I do know how dealers are and how much their mechanics can suck so we'll see. If I continue to have problems, I'll just take it right back to them. Its been in the shop for a few days now so I signed up for a rental agreement with them that only costs about $110. That will provide a rental car for the next 2 years whenever I need when dropping my truck off. Keeping my fingers crossed though!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:41 pm

You could have them show you the rear end, if it’s ring gear wear it will be very visible.

Good bearings tend to either last a VERY long time, or die a crib death. Imperfections in material, assembly, install, damage before/during install can all manifest that way. You could also get 500,000 miles out of a normal set in the same application.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:03 am

So, if oil level was at proper "factory height", & there is no obvious wear in ring gear or pinion, how would this be possible ? Did previous owner do some water crossings ? I think i'd ask about the fluids condition & level, if they inspected it.

Keep us posted please. :popcorn:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:25 am

TwinStick wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:03 am
So, if oil level was at proper "factory height", & there is no obvious wear in ring gear or pinion, how would this be possible ? Did previous owner do some water crossings ? I think i'd ask about the fluids condition & level, if they inspected it.

Keep us posted please. :popcorn:
I've seen brand new roller and taper bearings fail with in hours of install at the power plant. And seen roller and taper bearings operating non-stop 24/7 for the whole time I was at the power plant. 13 years. Doing a lube change. A spec of dirt floating around in the lube gets on a ball of the bearing or the race. Puts an imprint on the ball or race. From there, it's down hill to failure. Everytime that imprint makes contact with either the ball or race. It leaves another imprint. It only takes a few seconds to wipe out a roller or taper bearing.

Be nice if they started to do a bearing vibration analysis on it. Then you could pin point which bearing was failing. But the equipment and training isn't cheap.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:30 am

This has been discussed extensively on other forums. Dealerships are rarely qualified to set up gears. They normally throw parts at the problem until it's fixed or they give up. If after the bearings are changed it still isn't fixed you're better off paying an axle shop to reset up the gears.

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 16PW » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:55 pm

They did tell me the fluid was pretty dirty. Other than that they didn't give me much info. I will definitely give you guys an update once I get the truck back next week.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Maybe i am just dumb & outdated........but how expensive can rear wheel bearings be & how hard are they to install in a "free floating" rear axle ? I thought you just remove the tire, unbolt the free floating hub, pull out the axle shaft, remove clip, use spanner wrench to remove spindle nut, remove hub, pull out the bearings & punch out the races, clean thoroughly, re-install new races & pre-lubed bearings & re-assemble, maybe with a new axle flange gasket if needed ? Catching the axle rear fluid - if you forget to high side the side your working on. Top off fluid & that's it, right ? I would also change fluid & clean the lockers. No sense installing new bearing & races if there is debris in the oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIT8djTxt6o I don't exactly approve of every method he uses in this vid, but it shows the process.

Dealer should have checked this & done it, if needed. NOT difficult, just time consuming. Shame on the dealer & it's workers if they won't or can't do this ! Shame on FCA if they won't "authorize" this repair. I have had ZERO formal training & I could do this job.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:47 pm

Nothing was mentioned about wheel bearings. The talk is about the carrier and pinion bearings. Whole nother ball game.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:21 pm

So, then if it is the bearings on either side of the diff, they should be submerged in oil right ? How could they be bad already unless they were set up wrong from the factory ? Could a worn pinion bearing allow enough slop to cause things to shift enough to trash the carrier bearings ? I'm just trying to learn here. :geek: