Head Gasket

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Head Gasket

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:04 pm

The prudent thing to do would be to pull the block, install some lower compression forged pistons, a fat cam, full port/polish/valve job/grind, and then put on a Arrington blower. Anything less is probably unreasonable.

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:43 pm

Ok so an update. Now have a Comp 260 cam, upgraded valve springs, forged push rods, JBA shorties and new lifters to install.

Hope to take on most of that work this weekend.

Additionally I ordered a 6.1 valve cover and coil conversion kit that will allow me to get rid of the spark plug wires.

Keep you all posted.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:33 am

Sounds great, Peter! Save the part numbers for me. In 20 years, when I hit your mileage, I may need them.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:31 am

Wow, sounds promising! Can't wait for you to get it buttoned up!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

jswider
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by jswider » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:10 pm

How much is a coil conversation kit and does that require a tune or reflash of the ecm?

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:45 pm

It's not cheap. About $800, if you want the valve covers. But gives you the new composite valve covers ignition pieces and the wiring you need. No ECM flash needs. 3rd Strike Performance sells them and if you are a member of Hemi Truck Club you get a discount. I will post pics of the parts and install when I get them as well as a link to the site.

Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:29 am

So I changed the springs on my heads last night. I found something lurking under my cylinder 4 exhaust spring that can only be described as a ticking time bomb.

The job went pretty well though. Nice shiny new springs. Valves and valve seats were in good shape.

Mac (Snowflake) came down to help.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:42 am

That's scary finding loose pieces of steel in an engine. Bravo for taking this job on sir, it's looking really good. What springs did you end up getting? Are those the psi?
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:07 pm

sure thing that little piece would of did some damage...why not do some porting and polishing ?

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:11 pm

In the top photo (showing broken piece) what is the piece that is broken off? This is the bottom of stock valve spring?

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Yeah it is the bottom of the cage for the stock spring. The new springs don't have cages. Yes they are the PSI springs equivalent to the 6.1's.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Got to the point of where I need to install the new camshaft today and it hasn't come yet Image

That said got a lot of other things done.

The hydraulic tappets looked really good as well as the old camshaft. Nice to see everything looking good.

Hope to have the new camshaft and tune next week then I will begin reassembly.

Still waiting on new valve covers.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:46 pm

I'm trying to figure out where the potting soil goes...

Oh, Hi Mac!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Hahahahahahaha. I thought you ran that through the radiator before start up in order to dry the system out. Is that not true? Why would the FSM say get a 20lb bag otherwise?

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Since you are down this far. Now's a good time to replace the oil pump too.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:16 pm

Not a bad idea, with the mileage on it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

WINCH MOB PROUD!

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:38 pm

I still think you should pull the engine and rebuild the bottom end you're already halfway there!
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:48 pm

I think that makes sense Rusty.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:49 pm

We also did a side project today and got the A/C working in Snowflake. Ended up being a missing vacuum line and a bad relay. All good now.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Camshaft arrived today. Time to start putting the truck back together this weekend. Pics to come on Saturday.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:20 pm

Fantastic! Can't wait to see her breath fire!
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:55 pm

Damn it. I want to see the up-date and see it running. But I will be in Mexico next week.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:14 pm

Likely will take me two weekends to get it all together so you will probably be ok

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:05 pm

You replacing the oil pump?

I'm leaving tomorrow for LA. Saturday jumping on a cruise ship. :cash: :cash: :cash: Be back on the 25th. So no cell phone or internet. But lots of liquor. :chug:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Have fun. Yes oil pump should be here this weekend too. I ordered a new timing cover gasket but it hasn't been delivered yet.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods: