Bumming around New England area

RTTs, travel trailers, tents, crapper buckets
TwinStick

Bumming around New England area

Post by TwinStick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Just got back from a bunch of camping, with the camper & my semi converted utility trailer. Went to Mass, Conn, Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont using the utility trailer & the 4Runner. Was gone about 2 weeks, came home & 2 days later, took the Power Wagon & camper to Letchworth State Park for a week. It was fun. Utility trailer worked like a champ but......(note-to-self, ALWAYS bring earplugs for sleeping in a storm)....It was a WTF moment to be sure. Rain on a tin roof sounds romantic but....not when it sounds like an AC/DC concert at full volume !!! It even drowned out my radio I had. I can't tell you how many people wanted to know all about the utility trailer.....every campground we went to. Towed nice, no weird handling, even at 80. No weight distribution, no sway bars. Lobster was good. Bar Harbor was cool. Cascade Mtn was cool, Mt Washington was cool. Went to the "Big E" in Mass & that was cool. First Fair we have seen that was better than the Erie County Fair. Found a store called Vermont Flannel......that was expensive but quality is FANTASTIC !! 1 jacket for the wife, a flannel/fleece blanket & a flannel shirt for me was almost $300. Don't mind paying for quality sometimes & that was 1 of them. Hit up LL Bean. Nice drive, nice scenery. Leaves were changing on our drive back from Letchworth. Nice end to the fall.

:rockon:

TwinStick

Re: Bumming around New England area

Post by TwinStick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:40 pm

When leaving Letchworth State Park (the Perry entrance), there is a long steep hill. Everyone rides their brakes on the way down it. But when leaving & going up it, there was a newer F-150 pulling a similar sized camper as ours, right behind us. Not sure what year or engine or trans it had in it, but it was NOT there at the top of the hill. I was rolling @ 55-60, 3rd gear, 5500+ rpms. Could not even see the ford anymore at the top. I thought that was comical. Truck ran great, 45*f & dense air here today. The new 1/2" thick shackles took a lot of the sway out of the camper when changing lanes quickly or quickly avoiding a pothole. Pleased with that upgrade.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Glad you are having a good time with retirement. :rockon: You're up in New England, and I'm at the Outer Banks. :lol:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Any Hurricane damage there ?

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:36 pm

TwinStick wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:32 pm
Any Hurricane damage there ?
None. We had some rain and high winds. Nothing major. Some sand blown on the roads.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:08 am

Forgot to mention, our ARB fridge set ups work awesome !!! It was sooooo nice to be able to travel & not worry about ice or soggy food or draining water or leaking cooler drains. I made up 2 HD battery boxes, out of 3/4" plywood for my biggest batteries. The Cabela's X-900 Gp 31 & a W-mart Marine Ever Start Maxx Gp 29 or what ever the largest one is. We brought both, only needed 1. Put the W-Mart one in the 4Runner & the Cabela's in the utility trailer. They both have an ARB fridge screw in connector outlet on them. I used 10g wire, shrinkwrap, & crimped round terminal battery connectors on the ends. Ran the 50 qt ARB for 2 days straight on the W-Mart battery & it was still running & reading 12-12.1v. Never had to use the Cabela's battery. Had it plugged into the 4Runners ARB screw in connector while traveling. Per the free fridge monitor i got, it proved that the stock battery SUCKS for ANY kind of use when vehicle is not running. Reads 13.4-13.6v while running but drops to 11.9v after just an hour or so of running fridge with vehicle off. So the battery box made it super simple. Just unplug from vehicle & plug into battery box. About 40 seconds tops. Very pleased with my multi-use set up, that can easily go into any vehicle with the battery box, even our Corolla. :rockon: Really helped save money on food during our travels & great for leftovers if eating out.