2013 5.7 PW running like crap...

Newbie Corner: New Members Must Post 1 post in this forum FIRST before posting elsewhere. This is a chance to let everyone know who you are, info about your wagon, etc.
Allgonoshow
Model Year: 2013

2013 5.7 PW running like crap...

Post by Allgonoshow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:37 pm

Aloha from big island Hawaii.
I'm new to this site even though I've owned my 2013 pw for 7 year's after buying new from my local Dodge dealership. It now has 106,000 miles. Half of which have been in 4 wheel drive on some pretty serious trails. I'm on my 9th set of 35" tires due to the type of terrain here. A lot of sharp "A'a" basalt lava rock trails, deep mud, steep hills, towing a 14k gvw trailer one and a while, gravel roads with more potholes than anything, and crappy asphalt roads.
My main issue at the moment is the truck is running like absolute rubbish. Misfiring at idle and so bad it shakes the whole truck while on the throttle at low rpm in any gear at any speed. My mechanic tells me that the #1 coil pack is repeatedly failing for unknown reasons. I first replaced all 16 plugs with OEM Mopar units and all 8 coil packs with MSD units which helped for literally a minute or two then began doing the same thing. I then replaced the MSD coils with OEM units and it did the same thing again. I did a compression test which came back good on all cylinders. I'm guessing it has something to do with the lifters eating cam lobes issue common in the 5.7 Hemi but I'm not sure.
I've found a lot of info showing how little oil makes it to the camshaft especially at idle due to the position of the lifters, lack of adequate oiling between lifters and their bores and increased distance between the camshaft and crankshaft making it difficult for the crank to sling oil up onto the cam unless at 2000rpm or more. Having 2 children means sometimes I need it to idle the truck for a while with AC keeping them comfortable so I need to figure this out.
I'm planning on repairing this myself with upgraded performance parts for more power and reliability but i really need to find a way to rectify the oiling issue so it hopefully doesn't happen again. Maybe I higher pressure pump and/or lifters that'll help oil get between the rollers and lobes?
I'm looking for any advice from anyone with experience with this or similar issues and any info on what brand cam will give the 5.7 the most power and of course a nice "chop" lol.
Thank you!
Mahalo Nui 🤙🏼

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Re: 2013 5.7 PW running like crap...

Post by coder » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Hello Allgonoshow,

I think you might be right about the cam and the lifters being badly worn or damaged unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to remove them and take a look.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:35 pm

What kind of trouble codes do you get?

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:03 am

If the coil packs are going bad. Then it's not inside the motor. It's electrical.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: