Hello - 2005 Power Wagon (New Owner)

Newbie Corner: New Members Must Post 1 post in this forum FIRST before posting elsewhere. This is a chance to let everyone know who you are, info about your wagon, etc.
05BigRed

Hello - 2005 Power Wagon (New Owner)

Post by 05BigRed » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:11 pm

Hello,

I am a new owner to a 2005 Power Wagon in Manitoba Canada!

I bought this truck as we farm out in the prairies and my Chevy started to ask for an early retirement.

I’ve owned the truck for a little over a week now and already kinda broke it 😅 I was hauling snowmobiles and after unloading them and separating the trailer from the truck I wanted to see if I could make it through the snow ditch with the truck. Well, I couldn’t 🤣 I switched the truck to 4L and engaged the Axle Locks both rear and front. I then tried to Austin powers my way out of the ditch (back and forth) with the help of manually shovelling the snow away but eventually called it quits after an hour or so and had the truck winched out by a friends big ol 5500.

Damage done from this adventure:

Axles not unlocking / currently in the shop and removed the front diff plate to see metal shaving build up on the magnet. Cleaned the magnet but haven’t tested the function of the lock yet. Rear diff to get opened and cleaned as well.

Power steering failing / currently with the truck not moving it is almost impossible to turn the wheels. Unless you are very very strong. At 10 - 20kms steering is much easier but no where near right. Power steering is making a lovely whine noise. Will check fluid level, and see if I caused something to come loose and it sprung a leak.

Other than that - the truck is in the shop and I’ll be spending some time cleaning, repainting and servicing the suspension components, new spark plugs, and whatever else I find along the way.

I’m looking forward to reading posts from other owners to learn what I can about this truck.

If anyone is local in MB Canada with the same model truck let me know!! Maybe we can get together and I can pick your brain.

See ya around - Joe 05BigRed

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Hello - 2005 Power Wagon (New Owner)

Post by Mule007 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:32 am

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy 🌞👍🏻 !!! Recommend you reach out to Retired BLM Rig in Board Index/Vendors/Abel Products. While lots of the members are very knowledgeable have found him to be a very knowledgeable resource on these types of questions. Leave him your contact info & he will get back to you. Am sure he’ll know the right questions to ask to help I’d the issues. Our 2005’s parts are getting hard to get & he also is a good resource to help w that. Other members are also quite knowledgeable & helpful but may take a bit longer to respond. Good luck & keep us posted! 👍🏻🍀
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker motors,sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:13 am

Welcome to the group! :cheers:

Sounds like you had a rough time in the ditch... The winch is usually the go-to when you get stuck like that and even your lockers aren't getting you free - but i see you're missing the winch :cry:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:20 pm

Welcome to the forum. :rockon:

:winchmob:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

05BigRed

Post by 05BigRed » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:00 am

Thank you for the welcomes.

Replaced the power steering pump and ended up just unplugging the sway bar connector which after a few weeks the axles finally disengaged. I'm nervous to try and lock them up again, so I'm just not using the locks until I get around to doing a fluid change of the diffs and I'll pull them out to see if they are broken or not.

Other than that, I had my catalytic converters stolen which is a common thing in the area. Ended up just putting exhaust piping in place of where the cats would be and had the truck tuned, and the O2 sensors deleted.

Looking forward to spring and summer in my area. It's almost mudding season!!! Time to get this truck nice and dirty.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:43 pm

05BigRed wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:00 am
Thank you for the welcomes.

Replaced the power steering pump and ended up just unplugging the sway bar connector which after a few weeks the axles finally disengaged. I'm nervous to try and lock them up again, so I'm just not using the locks until I get around to doing a fluid change of the diffs and I'll pull them out to see if they are broken or not.

Other than that, I had my catalytic converters stolen which is a common thing in the area. Ended up just putting exhaust piping in place of where the cats would be and had the truck tuned, and the O2 sensors deleted.

Looking forward to spring and summer in my area. It's almost mudding season!!! Time to get this truck nice and dirty.
Do you use the truck on the road? In the states, we can't get away without having the Cats and the O2 sensors... I suspect you're enjoying lots of power but single digit mpg now :poke:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006