Transmission repair

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Transmission repair

Post by Chubbs » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:50 pm

The transmission for my 2018 Power Wagon (51K miles) has been suffering from rough downshifts for a while. A couple of weeks ago, I was coming back from a week-end trip and the transmission started getting stuck in 4th gear after passing. After one particularly rough downshift the CEL came on for code P0871.

I've got the Max Care lifetime warranty, so I took it to the dealership. Unfortunately, the closest dealership is about 1.5 hrs away.

5 days later, I have my truck back with a new valve body in the transmission. It is driving way better than it has for a while.

The only SNAFU was they suggested the 100K mile transmission service while it was cracked open, thereby saving me 2 hours of labor. I was already planning on requesting that very thing, so I approved parts and .5 hrs of labor. I had to throw the BS flag when they wanted to charge me for trans fluid for the servicing. I asked if they usually put the old fluid back in when they were complete with the warranty work. The quickly saw things my way on that charge.

The valve body failures have been fairly common. If it wasn't under warranty, I would have likely replaced it myself with one of the aftermarket kits on the market.
2018 Power Wagon
Bright Silver, Dual Alternators, Leather and Luxury, Ram Boxes