Mods to the forum

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mods to the forum

Post by ldgregory » Thu May 31, 2012 11:58 am

Just wanted to drop a note to set expectations concerning forum mods (modification to how the forum functions, not the moderators).

phpBB is a very feature rich forum package with great community support. There are tons of mods out there to extend functionality of the forum. The mods come in two sorts of flavors. Plugins and as replacement of code to styles or the phpBB core package. In both cases, they're developed per versions of phpBB. More or less like plugins and extensions for your web browser. Sometimes the mods don't keep pace with the current version of the forum like when you upgrade Firefox and some of your plugins don't work until the plugin maintainer updates their code to work with the new version.

That being said, I'm being very careful to research mods to phpBB before implementing them. I'm looking for strong feature sets, the maintainer having a good historical record for keeping pace with the core phpBB package versions and the amount of manual changes to the code I have to perform. In some cases, I have to manually edit code for each style we have implemented here which is why I've narrowed down to the three we have now.

So, here's where I'm going to set the expectation. My day job is as the CSO (Chief Security Officer) for a very large state agency. My job, among many pieces, is managing the security of our networks, desktops, servers, systems and software.

My primary concern is the security and integrity of my server that this forum runs on. If there is a security patch that needs to happen to phpBB and as a result it will break mods to the forum, I need you all to understand that I will try to restore mod functionality as quickly as possible but that I will break the mods if I need to to ensure security of the server.

Long as everyone understands that, we'll be good! :grin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk over a 300 baud Racal-Vadic Acoustically Coupled Modem.
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges