Rough Country Dual Stabilizer Kit

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Mountie
Model Year: 2015

Rough Country Dual Stabilizer Kit

Post by Mountie » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:58 pm

:D Hey everyone. I just bought this kit and it says you have to have a minimum of 2.5 inches of lift to use it. Aside from the obvious has anyone tried it with the factory lift. it"s a half inch short of required amount. I was thinking of buying a 1.5 inch levelling kit as well if I need it. Just wondering. Thanks.

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Rough Country Dual Stabilizer Kit

Post by ScubaSteve » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Mountie wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:58 pm
:D Hey everyone. I just bought this kit and it says you have to have a minimum of 2.5 inches of lift to use it. Aside from the obvious has anyone tried it with the factory lift. it"s a half inch short of required amount. I was thinking of buying a 1.5 inch levelling kit as well if I need it. Just wondering. Thanks.
You'd be miles ahead to return that and get a Thuren or Carli spec unit if the OEM damper isn't doing it for you. Rough Country products are pretty cheap for the most part, and there is no reason to have 2 steering dampers.

Also, if it says that it requires a minimum amount of lift to fit despite the location of the steering damper and tie rod being absolutely unaffected by lift height, I would say that there's some stupid design flaw involved. Kit is cheap and appears to use some generic off-the-shelf dampers, as well. Will likely have rusted shafts after few rain storms or a winter.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/produ ... ing-3.html

SeppW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SeppW » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:36 pm

The OEM unit is pretty good in its own right. If you go with a Thuren kit you can add on a King stabilizer. Are you having issues that would require a dual stabilizer? I can't comment on RC today, but I ran their shocks and stabilizer on a Ramcharger back the early 80s and they may have been the cat's meow then. Today, it's not clear.

I went with Thuren and a King stabilizer, but did go to hydra-assist later. It has advantages in off road situations.

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:13 pm

Thuren’s article on the issue with a lot of stabilizer kits is worth reading. Oil froth doesn’t work well, and that is what you get when you lay most shocks on their side. The OEM isn’t bad, so of you are going to change to a 3rd part you need to be sure it won’t be worse.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ScubaSteve » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:29 pm

Dual steering stabilizers have always reminded me of the 80's and 90's when people where putting on as many cheap shocks as humanly possible, making their trucks ride even more like a brick. Not trying to trash talk, but honestly, this setup is a step backwards.

Mountie
Model Year: 2015

Post by Mountie » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I will check out Thuren and Carli. I recently saw a Youtube video of a new Powerwagon outfitted with Carli equipment. Looked pretty impressive. The reason I'm upgrading from a single is my stabilizer shock is leaking so I have to replace it. I've had duals before with good results so I'm going that route again. Thanks again. :D