Can the SmartBar Unit be Disassembled?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Nailhead
50_Posts
50_Posts

Can the SmartBar Unit be Disassembled?

Post by Nailhead » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:08 pm

A year ago this fall, the driver's side portion of the sway bar fell out of the actuator unit, and I had to repair it in a hurry in order to get back to work.

My neighbor and I raised it on his lift, got it clocked correctly with respect to the passenger side, and reset it in the actuator with several stout blows from a deadblow hammer. We then rubbed a liberal application of red RTV over the the damaged oil seal in hopes that it would keep some moisture out.

If I had had the time, I would have replaced the seal that got chewed up, which is why I want to re-disassemble it.

I asked at the local dealer & they said it's replaced as a unit-- which is what I expected, but I still want to replace that seal if I can.

Any help appreciated.
'08 Flame Red Quadcab with Spyntec & Teraflex hubs, Mag Hytec pan & covers, Carr rock rail steps, Warn wireless winch controller, Hawk Performance brake pads, Ranch Hand crossover box, and Turbolined bed.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Can the SmartBar Unit be Disassembled?

Post by RustyPW » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:23 am

If you can take the seal out, and read the numbers on it. You might be able to match it up. Rereading your post. Think you might have damage more than the seal if you had to beat the bar back in place. Does it still work?
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Nailhead
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Nailhead » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:52 pm

The shape of the suspension end of the bar IIRC prevents installing a new seal without removing that portion of the bar, so I'm pretty sure I do need to remove it again. I doubt anything was damaged when we put it back together because it works fine, and because of how the SmartBar is made: the end of the bar is splined with a retaining ring on the end much like certain CV axle shafts, or the drive end of the front driveshaft on Chevy S-series trucks.

It may just pop right out with the use of a prybar or hammer, no harm done; or it may be destroyed in the attempt. I was just looking for a risk-free method of removal so I can replace that seal & protect the actuator's innards.
'08 Flame Red Quadcab with Spyntec & Teraflex hubs, Mag Hytec pan & covers, Carr rock rail steps, Warn wireless winch controller, Hawk Performance brake pads, Ranch Hand crossover box, and Turbolined bed.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:04 pm

After you beat it back together and it's still working. You're golden. :lol: What you can do is remove the bar from the PW. Remove the bolts that hold the housing together, and slowly take it apart. When you put it back together. Use some light grease on the sliding parts.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

Nailhead
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Nailhead » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:09 pm

RustyPW wrote:After you beat it back together and it's still working. You're golden. :lol: What you can do is remove the bar from the PW. Remove the bolts that hold the housing together, and slowly take it apart. When you put it back together. Use some light grease on the sliding parts.
You're a lifesaver.

I really feel like I should replace that seal.

Thanks!

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Use dielectrical grease inside your plug when you put it back together. This will help stop the corrosion there. :wink:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

Nailhead
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Nailhead » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:20 pm

RustyPW wrote:Use dielectrical grease inside your plug when you put it back together. This will help stop the corrosion there. :wink:
"Corrosion"... that's funny. That's as rare here as "rain"-- whatever that is.

Seriously, I'll do that. Thanks for the tip.