Winch no worky

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
VMAX
Model Year: 2012

Winch no worky

Post by VMAX » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:13 pm

I picked up my used PW last year knowing that the winch did not work when I bought it.
I cleaned the controller plug and pins, checked the power connections on the battery and winch motor.
I also did the thermal protection switch bypass with no luck. So I decided to remove it from the truck and go through it on the bench.
When I opened up the control box everything was corroded in a bluish green color.

I now plan on doing an overhaul on the whole winch. I would like to know if anyone has ever done the Albright contactor relay and eliminated the four solenoid relays?
I plan on mounting the Albright in the engine bay instead of on the winch motor, to keep it out of the nasty North East weather and harsh conditions that this truck lives through.

Albright part #DC88P I can find around $70. Gigglepin sells one for 120. part # G13008 but seems to be the same one just with their name on it.
I also plan on moving the controller plug and or a wireless remote or in cab switch.

Any input on this is appreciated. I will update on what I have done as time goes on. This may take some time as I'm fortunate to still be working fulltime + and only have limited time to do this.

Please stay safe and health friends!
Attachments
20200422_174925.jpg

VMAX

Re: Winch no worky

Post by VMAX » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:50 am

20200426_154312.jpg
Okay, change of plans. I had the chance to clean up all the connections while on the bench and it now works perfect.
So I decided to install it back on the truck incase I would need to use it.
I still plan on doing the Albright upgrade but now I can do it with the winch mounted in the truck to determined where is the best location for the contactor and the lengths of power wire I will need.
Attachments
20200426_182151.jpg

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Good "fix" on the winch. Nice to DIY and it works.

Now for the big question...do lockers work? :D
Last edited by flattire on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ghaugo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:17 pm

Well done! Hope it stays in service. I have used mine a bunch this year wheelin' in the snow.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

VMAX

Post by VMAX » Fri May 01, 2020 11:51 am

flattire wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:04 pm
Good "fix" on the winch. Nice to DIY and it works.

Now for the big question...do lockers work? :D
Thanks! The lockers do work. I've used them a handful of times so far.
I recently changed the gear oil (Amsoil 75-90 in front & 75-140 in the rear) and cleaned the magnets.
I wish I would have added a magnet in the bottom of the diff. I didn't think of it at the time.
Maybe next time. I plan on installing the Abel bypass in the future too.

evan3000
Model Year: 2016

Post by evan3000 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:47 am

My winch is not working either.
I can’t seem to find a real diagram on the internet specific for these trucks (2016)

I already ordered the Albright contractor but the question I have is what is that little sealed circuit board attached to the side of the solenoid enclosure?
It is spliced into the power and ground coming into the winch and has one wire that goes to the remote plug...

Is it part of the thermal protection?

I’ll make a bypass plug for the thermal protection into the motor, I’m just not totally sure of the flow of things as I can’t find a real schematic for this....

evan3000
Model Year: 2016

Post by evan3000 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:51 am

My winch stoped working, due to the plug, but the solenoids are corroded. I’m going to replace with an Albright and relocate.
Does anyone know what that little black sealed circuit board is? It’s attached to the solenoid cover on the winch of my 2016 PW?
Is it a a part of the overload circuit?
It’s got a positive and ground spliced off the power coming in and one wire going to the remote.

I cant seem to find a good schematic of these winched on these truck.