I still like this truck.

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Mule
250_Posts
250_Posts

I still like this truck.

Post by Mule » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Even if I spent way too much time in it this weekend.
Filled the back seat with computers, test equipment, printers, and gear... then loaded some more shit into the bed.

Stop by the equipment depot for dishes/totes with more gear... then over the continental divide around first light, and find some dirt.

New desktop pic at work for a while...

Got up to the site and unloaded.
Dish and radio to site-3 installed, the easy one. Can see the other peak from the ground, easy to identify with clear LoS.
See how the tie-down on my grunt bag is horizontal? Yeah, it was windy. :shock:

Get the rest of my shit together for the other shot further up the tower

"Yeah, i'm going to need another set of hands up here". This wind is kicking my ass wrestling the dish onto the mount.

Just enough of a saddle on the ridge to shoot over the trees back to site-1. With the additional cross-bracing on the upper portion of the tower, mounting the dish and radio was challenging.

Ended up mounting the radio on the dish bracket, but it was in such a way I couldn't see the link and signal lights on the radio. Going higher put me closer to the FM antenna with 300W going into it than I wanted to be, and going above those antennas are problematic - end up with a lot of common-mode noise in the shielded network cable, the router usually negotiates down to 10mbit for a better connection. The "right way" to fix that is run power up to the radio on its own cable, then feed the radio with data on a fiber run.

Could not get a reliable link on the shot to site-1. This link brings in IP not just to this site, but also sites 3 and 4. So if it's not up, it's not just the build I'm on that fails, but everything else down the line. Why do I always get these no-fail jobs. :lol: :angry:
Other guys had to take off, senior techs were on their way over here from site-3. Monch on some food, down a couple gatorades/waters, and wait about an hour and a half. 11k ft is serious business. There's a little space behind the building on the right, between it and a retaining wall, where I could piss out of the wind. :thppt:

Other techs arrived, gear up, grab binos and a rope, start the ascent. Ended up moving the dish to the other rung (with experience and skill comes speed - they had some ideas that I wouldn't have thought of to make that work much easier/faster), but still couldn't get a reliable link.

Tech on the tower radios down "I know what's wrong, we're done here". Button things up... turns out the shot he installed at site-1 to here, he pointed at a different mountain. :doh:
Didn't plan on watching the sunset up here... 11hrs makes for a long day, and it's still windy as fuck.

We all headed down the mountain... they went over to site-1 (easy access/drive, and a real easy climb on a low tower) to get the link up, and I headed over to Steamboat to crash at a buddy's place. Don't use that light bar on the front much, but it's nice to have. :o

Next morning... "Meet you at the shop?" Yup, see ya there. Fill out some paperwork...

Pups heard something about a ride... :rofl:

All loaded up, 3hr drive back to the house and get the truck emptied out.

Today the truck's staying in the driveway. The Austrian mistress and I need to get acquainted. :rockon:

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Re: I still like this truck.

Post by ghaugo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:41 pm

I used to work on towers a bit with Great Plains Tower out of ND. We built some out here and lots of them up in that part of the country. Didn't have a power wagon then. Wish I did to get to some of the sites.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Cooper STT Pro 315/70/17, ARE Z-Series Topper, FilterMag GP101 (front and rear diffs), DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Skanda Kryptec Typhoon seat covers, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Volant CAI with Donaldson PowerCore Filter, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Overland Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by gtomike60 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:17 am

Nice description of your day,and great pictures
2012,2600 stall CircleD converter,MYoung locker bypass,Dynatrac bjs,Dynatrac no-spin kit w/Dynaloc hubs,Thuren 3" coils,trackbar,shackles and Kings(3"F-2.5"R) shocks,Thuren Alien arms,Synergy steering,Thuren/King steering stabilizer,Carli diff guard,White Knuckle sliders,Thuren bumper,37" Cooper STT Pros,Corsa exhaust

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:03 pm

I always enjoy your posts Mule. Looks fun out there... wish my ass wasn't afraid of heights though!!!!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Mule
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Mule » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Trust your equipment. :wink:

Snowmobile expo this weekend... Thought about taking the moto on Sunday, but had more stuff to bring along than I expected... took the truck instead. I need to get bags on my 1190 for that shit. :cash:
Workshop(s) went well, good attendance/questions/engagement for those that I went to. Booth(trailer) was busy most of the day saturday, so I wasn't able to duck out and peek into some of the workshops I wanted to see.

Topgolf with the crew saturday night... Even if you aren't into golf, it's still a good time. Food's real good too. Was fun relaxing and shooting the shit with sponsors and some other avalanche pros, one made it out here for the show from Canada.

We're always the first ones in and the last ones out of the expo - there's one door the truck/trailer can fit through, and we have to wait for all the manufacturers and big dealers to get out of the way before we can get through that door.

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Oilbrnr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:23 pm

What do you use to 'rough-in' the alignment of the dish to the remote site?
2016 Thuren 3.0/2.5 and stabilizer, F/R tracks, Front springs, OEM/AirLift-Daystar rear.
2017 FWCamper - Hawk

Mule
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Mule » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Oilbrnr wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:23 pm
What do you use to 'rough-in' the alignment of the dish to the remote site?
Radios have a couple of signal strength LEDs on them.
Sweep one direction, till you see where the signal drops, then picks up again, then drops again. That's one of the side lobes.
Sweep the other direction, same deal. Find the main lobe (wider range of full-strength signal) and the side lobes. Once you know where the main lobe is, it's little adjustments with assistance from the guys in the doghouse radioing numbers up to you.

Getting *a* signal is pretty easy, there's enough beamwidth that with even a remotely close alignment, you'll get a connection. Peaking it takes some time.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:08 am

Beautiful country perfect PW territory
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Toyo AT II's 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | DieHard Platinum Battery G65 | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass