Drove away from an Accident

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
FLtoCOTransplant

Drove away from an Accident

Post by FLtoCOTransplant » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:50 am

Driving up I-25 today from Monument, CO with our new “to us” boat (like had just handed the guy a check 30 minutes before) traffic started to slow and so I started to slow. A silver Tahoe came speeding past on my left, applied their brakes but to late to fully stop before taking out the vehicle in front of them. So they slammed on their brakes, swerved, hitting the vehicle in front of them and careening into my lane. I hit them at a 45 degree angle - passenger door and front quarter panel. They bounce off and glass rained down on the truck- not sure if the collision or the sound of the glass woke up my son in the back.

I roll to a stop and try and take an inventory of the situation. Son is OK, I am OK and we will see about the truck and the other people. Lots of Good Samaritans stop to check on everyone. One of Colorado’s finest is there in 2 minutes!Fortunately most are OK, the front passenger had to be taken to the hospital with what appeared to be a leg injury. I didn’t talk to them, just looked back.

I didn’t turn the truck off when I came to a stop. I wasn’t sure how long we would be there and with my three year old son in the cab I wanted to keep the air conditioner running. I wasn’t leaking fluids and everything in the engine bay seemed to be working...I was amazed at this. So when the State Patrol asked me to move down to the next exit, I drove away.

After filling out the police report, one of the tow truck guys helped me change the front drivers side tire which had a nice gouge done to the wire in it and pull the bumper away from the tire so it wouldn’t rub. Then I drove the boat on down to Tommy’s in Golden to get checked out. She towed like nothing had happened but after dropping the boat off I did have a check engine light come on. (Will the scanners at Auto Zone read the new 2019 computers?)

The PW handled the accident amazingly. I think we hit them at 30-40 MPH and since it was a glancing blow the impact was not enough to deploy the airbags. Since I got the truck two months ago I have felt very secure in her and she proved it to me today.

Now to get her fixed. When they delivered the truck one of the key fobs wasn’t working and it was estimated to take three months to arrive. Wonder if body parts are as back logged as electronics? Hopefully they can get her in working legal condition while I wait for the 2019 Thuren front bumper...Image

Thoughts on changing up the grill to go body color? Not a huge fan of the Handle bar mustache but I do like the black. Here are some picks of the before and after.

Stay safe everyone! Rich

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Drove away from an Accident

Post by RustyPW » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:34 am

Sorry to hear about this. :( Glad that everyone is ok.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '19 AOAA,

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by waldo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:33 am

Damn,that really sucks on a new vehicle.

Hard to say about the check engine light. The active shutters behind the grill could be damaged though.

I'd go for a diminished value claim with the insurance and trade it as soon as it got out of the body shop.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:12 am

The problem with a 2019 is none have been wrecked or worn out yet, so the parts chain is lean compared to prior models. I would not be terribly surprised at a delay on parts. But that means a free rental with free wear and tear, and you can get a truck. WHOO HOOO free car. Thats how I look at it even if it is not a PW.

Looking at the damage I have a theory the tow hook some how really took the brunt of the force. It looks like you slammed it into a boulder.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:54 am

Vehicles can be repaired or replaced. Glad to hear you and your son are ok.
2012 Ram Power Wagon: http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Oilbrnr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:06 pm

I hope that front frame horn isn't bent too bad. As FDCT stated, that hook took the hit.
2016 Thuren 3.0/2.5 and stabilizer, F/R tracks, Front springs, OEM/AirLift-Daystar rear.
2017 FWCamper - Hawk

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Glad the family is OK!

Sucks that this happened to you. :angry:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller