Tow/Haul Mode in the Back Country

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Torq
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Tow/Haul Mode in the Back Country

Post by Torq » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:33 am

I'm about to head out on my biennial expedition. Doing North Rim of the Grand Canyon and White Rim in Canyonlands. With a 200lb roof tent, a 37" spare tire mounted to a Wilco hitchgate, 300 lbs of fuel and water and up 200-300 lbs. of camping/cooking gear, should I be considering doing some or part of the expedition in tow/haul mode. I'm starting in North Carolina so I have ~2,000 miles before I even get to the back country. Then, I'm spending about 2 weeks on the trails.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: Tow/Haul Mode in the Back Country

Post by PWJouster » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 am

if you dont mind the harsh shifts, possibly louder exhaust, and sporty drive.... tow haul 100% of the time.

im 230lbs...thats enough of a reason to use tow/haul.

if your asking about when your offroad...not necessary, just shift to 5th to lockout 6th.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

Torq
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Torq » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:01 pm

That's interesting. I was aware that tow/haul changed shift points, but I never considered that it was better for the truck to drive in tow /haul all the time. Does tow j haul just keep the transmission healthier?

Sent from my G3123 using Tapatalk

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 pm

Keeps the trans fluid cooler by keeping the TC locked up more, but it will decrease your fuel mileage because of later shifts to higher gears.
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chubbs » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:48 am

I like the way it changes engine braking. I use it off-road if 4 hi frequently.
2018 Power Wagon
Bright Silver, Dual Alternators, Leather and Luxury, Ram Boxes

Torq
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Torq » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:00 am

I'll definitely give it a try, especially with the engine brake assist. We'll be on some pretty steep narly switchbacks, so maybe using tow /haul can save me some brake wear.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: Tow/Haul Mode in Back Country

Post by PWJouster » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:29 am

the best part about these hemis is the impressive engine braking.
when driving aggressively, ill use 30%+ less braking when in tow mode.
the truck is much more effective and will more often be in the gear you want. It shifts later, but faster. Way less lugging on the engine.

the throttle is more controllable without tow mode when offroad in slow sections. So test it out and see what you like
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

Torq
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Torq » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm headed home from the two week expedition and I heeded y'all's advice, using tow/haul almost all of the way. It truly shines going through the mountains on steep descents with the engine braking.

Driving through KS and MO on the way home, I turned it off due to the flat terrain and the truck not having to work that hard. Lowered the rpms by about 500. Probably gained 1mpg at 80mph.

I didn't use it in the back country, and it may not have made a difference, but I wish the engine braking in 4wd low was a little better. I had to use the brakes a little more than I wanted even locked into 1st gear.

Anyone ever use the hill descent feature? I thought about it but was hesitant to add another caliber to the arsenal mid-decent.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Torq wrote:I'm headed home from the two week expedition and I heeded y'all's advice, using tow/haul almost all of the way. It truly shines going through the mountains on steep descents with the engine braking.

Driving through KS and MO on the way home, I turned it off due to the flat terrain and the truck not having to work that hard. Lowered the rpms by about 500. Probably gained 1mpg at 80mph.

I didn't use it in the back country, and it may not have made a difference, but I wish the engine braking in 4wd low was a little better. I had to use the brakes a little more than I wanted even locked into 1st gear.

Anyone ever use the hill descent feature? I thought about it but was hesitant to add another caliber to the arsenal mid-decent.

Hill descent is SLOW. Like 4 mph slow... it's for crawling down rocks basically. Might be a little faster but not for really driving with like that.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Torq
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Torq » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:40 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Torq wrote:I'm headed home from the two week expedition and I heeded y'all's advice, using tow/haul almost all of the way. It truly shines going through the mountains on steep descents with the engine braking.

Hill descent is SLOW. Like 4 mph slow... it's for crawling down rocks basically. Might be a little faster but not for really driving with like that.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
That would've been just the ticket for coming down out of the Henry mountains into hanksville. Any idea how it works? Does it modulate brakes, shifting, etc.?

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:12 pm

Torq wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:40 pm
That would've been just the ticket for coming down out of the Henry mountains into hanksville. Any idea how it works? Does it modulate brakes, shifting, etc.?

It just uses the ABS. It's too slow for coming down the mountain at my cabin. 7-8 mph is about the sweet spot for that, so I never use it.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons