question on rr

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

question on rr

Post by w2dodge » Wed May 30, 2012 11:44 am

im prepping the rr for steps and new a coating,my question is do i weld shut this hole ? they both have it,factory rr..whats the purpose of it?
Attachments
IMG-20120530-00588.jpg

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

question on rr

Post by ldgregory » Wed May 30, 2012 11:50 am

Before you weld it shut, fill them with helium to make your truck lighter!!! :lol:

Seriously though, I'd close them. If you get water in them, you'll just start rusting from the inside out.
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model Year: 2006

Re: question on rr

Post by AceMan » Wed May 30, 2012 11:54 am

ldgregory wrote:Before you weld it shut, fill them with helium to make your truck lighter!!! :lol:

Seriously though, I'd close them. If you get water in them, you'll just start rusting from the inside out.
Lol! Better gas mileage!

Transmitted via Carrier Pigeon v2 & TRS-80 mobile @2.4k baud.
Did you ever notice that after Monday and Tuesday the calendar says "WTF"?
KB1ACE - Kilo-Bravo-One-Alpha-Charlie-Echo
Power Wagon Owner's Club #110

Black '06 PW QC
Auto, REC Nav/Sat UConnect, Reverse cam, MyGig v2 Lockpick, adj pedals, Tow mirrors, aftermarket heated seats.
Mods: Mopar Rock Rails, Carr steps (what's left of them), Toyo MT 35x12.5x17, Mopar 8.5 "T"-Linkage, Carli Trackbar (frameside 16mm bolt), King 2.5 Reservoir shocks, Carli Progressive coils, Carli Front Diff Protector, Rockcrusher rear diff, Carli Low Mount Damper, KC 55 watt rear floods w/Defiant bracket, RetroSolutions 12W LED rev & brake lights, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads, 4th Gen Steering Box, Spicer axle U-joints, 4G DTProfab Steering brace ground 3/8" offset to fit my 3G 2006 with a 4G box.
Sitting in Garage: Ram SRT10 A-Pillar.
Image Image Image

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Wed May 30, 2012 11:57 am

lol....yeah thats what im gonna do weld them shut..dont understand why their there....they look like weepholes

Powerwagonmark
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Powerwagonmark » Wed May 30, 2012 11:59 am

Could be to release the heat when there welding it together.
2008 Dodge POWER WAGON
Power Wagon= 12000lb Warn winch, Electronic Disconnecting Swaybar, Front and rear lockers, 4.56 gears

Upgrades= BDS 4" long arm lift, JBA Shorty headers, Custom MBRP Y-Pipe, MBRP Custom exhaust, Stainless Steel front and rear brake lines, Thuren Adjustable track bar with Fox Racing Steering Stabilizer, Thuren/Atlas custom leafs, Thuren 6" Coil Springs, Thuren Adjustable Shackles, Redhead steering box, Carli front diff guard, Airflow Snorkel, Vent Tubes Extended, Custom Rock Rails(made by me), Custom rear tube bumper(made by me), Rockcrusher rear diff guard, Bushwacker pocket flares, Trimmed fenders, DT Profab Steering Box Brace, Borgeson steering shaft, 1 Ton Tranny cooler, Mickey Thompson 17x9 Sidebiter Wheels, Pitbull Rockers 37x12.5x17, Road Armour front bumper trimmed for extra clearance with lightbar and 4 KC lights and 4 Piaa's, Procomp Explorer Lights mounted on backrack, Wireless winch remote, Tints, clear cab lights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, HighLift Jack, Tool box, RBP gas cover(piece of junk). Line-xed from head to toe. More straps, shackles and pulleys than I actually need.

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Wed May 30, 2012 12:04 pm

if thats the reason then i will do that last...

06powerwagon06
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 06powerwagon06 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Is it on the top or the bottom of the rail? I would think it would be there to let any condensation weep out. If it's trapped in there they will rust from the inside out. If you weld them shut I would pour some old oil in them to stop any rusting. It will slosh around enough while driving to coat the inside of the rail. I left my rails open for now to see if they get filled up with crap or not. I figure I can always weld a cap on anytime.
'06 Black Power Wagon, Quad Cab, Heated Leather, 4" Boss Bars nerf bars, Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Smoked clearance lights, Tool Box, Recovery gear, Carli Front Diff Guard, Rockcrusher Rear Diff Cover, 60" Hi Lift Jack-Mounted in Tool Box, Bed Liner'd Front & Rear Bumpers, Rockers and Grill, "T" Steering Upgrade, DT ProFab Steering Brace, Kill Switch, 2-6" Aux. Lights Behind Grill, Back Up Lights, Wheel Well Liners, 315/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Airflow Snorkel, Rock Rails fabbed by me, Borgeson Steering Shaft, etc..[/size]

Rausch Creek Spring '12

VA_Wagon Man
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by VA_Wagon Man » Wed May 30, 2012 3:43 pm

They are there to let the condensation out. I'd leave them open, but do what you want. if you go in enough mud, it'll plug them up. :shock:
Long Gone:
'05 Silver Power Wagon: # 869: Custom Rear Hitch & Bed Clearance Mod, Custom Front and Rear Tubular Bumpers, Airflow 3rd Gen Snorkel, Diablo Sport Predator, 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler Extreme Terrain, Flow Master 40, Mopar Rock Rails, Warn 15,000lb Winch,with Thermal Bypass, 4.56 Locking front and rear Diffs, Sway-bar disconnect, Uprgraded " T " steering linkage, Fully Skid plated with fore and aft bars, Carli Front Diff Protector, RockCrusher Rear Diff Pro, Bilstein 5100's with rear Custom Valving, Pit Slave Winch Strap, CajunPW PNP Locker By-Pass,

Follow Me, I'll Pull You Out...AFTER you pull me out......
Rausch Creek 2010 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Spring Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2012 Spring Run
Future Rausch Creek 2013 Spring Run June 22nd!

"There is no hunting, like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter." --Earnest Hemmingway--

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Wed May 30, 2012 4:44 pm

yes there on bottom of the rail

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

question on rr

Post by ldgregory » Wed May 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Ahh. That changes things. From the pic it looked like they're on top. If they're on the bottom, you could leave them open as they'll be able to drain. But if they're plugged from the get go, then they wouldn't need to drain in the first place.

Either way would work. Personally, I'd close them and not have to worry after mudding that they have water in them and got plugged by mud or something.
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Wed May 30, 2012 4:58 pm

i think i will plug them also,after i alter them a bit and put another pass around the joints

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Wed May 30, 2012 5:44 pm

VA_Wagon Man wrote:They are there to let the condensation out. I'd leave them open, but do what you want. if you go in enough mud, it'll plug them up. :shock:
what he said. ^^
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Thu May 31, 2012 5:46 am

They're weep holes. Don't close them. The inside of the tubing needs to breath. When you fab pipe and tubing. You always leave an end open.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Thu May 31, 2012 7:37 am

im going to hone them a bit with stone and drill,there is some rust visible.... maybe il pour some fluid film in them..and leave at that