2019 HD Security Gateway Module Location

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

2019 HD Security Gateway Module Location

Post by pdavey » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:47 am

There is nothing quite like taking apart the whole dash on a brand new truck to find a module that is so far stuck into the truck that you have to take the dash apart.....

Well it wasn’t quite that far back but you had to know where to look.

When I bought my 2019 Ram Power Wagon one of the first things I did was upgrade the tire (separate thread for that) to Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50R17.

Since the truck is so new the dealers had no clue how to set the tire pressure size and encouraged me to find a tuner of some sort.

After much research I decided on the Tazer Ram. Lots of features that can be found on their website.

2018+ trucks now have a Security Gateway Module that helps to protect the trucks computer from being hacked and in order to make any setting changes you either have to have the security codes and $40,000 computer from FCA or you have to bypass the module with a little bypass module.

Thank you to Russ and Mike for their help in disassembling the 2019 and making sure we put all the bolts back as well as Tracy from Mike’s dealership who sent us the exact location.

Location of the Security Gateway Module (Behind the front instrument cluster - Highlighted in orange):

For 2018’s it is behind the radio in the center console. For 2019 1500s I understand it is under the steering wheel near the drivers feet.

Here are a few more pictures in taking apart the instrument cluster:

You have to remove the panel to the left of the steering wheel (looks like a triangle) as well as the push button start on the right (also a triangle). Both are held in with clips.

You then have to remove the instrument panel cover (held in by clips only - around the instrument cluster) and the steering wheel cowl which is held in by clips and two small bolts as seen above.

After you take those parts off the instrument cluster is held in by 4 bolts as seen in these pictures above.

After removing the instrument cluster you should see the security gateway module way in the back. Squeeze your hand in there and unplug both clips and then plug the bypass module in.

Picture of the module plugged in.

A few notes:
- Doesn’t matter which programmer you use you will need a bypass module
- The bypass module needs to be unplugged when you take it back to the dealership for any updates to the computer
- Unplugging the bypass module does not erase any settings that you have changed using the programmer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by pdavey on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:47 am, edited 10 times in total.
2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: 2019 HD Security Gateway Module Location

Post by KevinABQ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:54 pm

2018 it's behind the radio. That was a pain to do the first time, yours looks a lot worse.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

StefanB
Model Year: 2017

Post by StefanB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:26 am

Thanks for finding the time to let us know, one more thing on my list for a 2019+ cleared up.

How's the driving experience of the 2019 in general?
I'm on a 2017 PW on 37 KM3's with a 2,5" Thuren setup right now, but being in Germany there is no chance to test a 2019. I know the ZF 8-Speed from my former Toureg and believe it is the much needed improvement over the 6-speed. It's still a Truck, but nonetheless did the driving comfort on the improve significantly?

Thanks

Nater
Model Year: 2019

Post by Nater » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:23 am

My 2019 shifts great, I think it's a nice improvement over the 2018s I have driven.

As far as the security module, this looks like a bypass harness will be easier? The STAR connectors are under the dash, so no removing the cluster to install! Zauto confirmed the t harness (long) should work

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:54 pm

Nater wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:23 am
My 2019 shifts great, I think it's a nice improvement over the 2018s I have driven.

As far as the security module, this looks like a bypass harness will be easier? The STAR connectors are under the dash, so no removing the cluster to install! Zauto confirmed the t harness (long) should work
Doesn't the T harness plug in between the security module and the harness going into the module? It's to make it easier later on if you want to remove or install the bypass module. That's what I got out of looking at the pictures and description when we was messing with Peter's.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Nater

Post by Nater » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:00 pm

Rusty, it is in place of the security bypass, it provides you an unprotected obd port. You hook the harness into the obd port and the star blocks. On the 19s, the star connectors are under the dash, so you should be able to use this much easier than removing the cluster.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/obd ... ness-long/

Nater

Post by Nater » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:59 am

For those who need/care, there is now a 2019+ HD Ram bypass module by KOADTech. He is the guy who is popular over on the ram forums for making them, and the one I just got in is very high quality. No more removing the cluster if you dont want (just plug this sucker in under the dash).