Trans cooler bypass valve delete?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:40 pm

Anyone running a delete for these?
I guess mine stuck yesterday. Local dealer says the OEM part is back ordered.
This block acts like a thermostat for trans fluid. Sends the fluid back to the trans when cold, bypassing the cooler. When it sticks closed, the truck pretty much has no trans cooler. :angry:

It's working correctly right now, but I have a 300 mile drive back home to make next week.

Google search lead me to these .

https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/3100052392/

BTW, the OEM # is 68186711AB
IMG_1142.JPG
ETA, pic is the OEM unit on my truck, just in case any of you want to know what it looks like and where it is. Passenger side next to the engine oil pan.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: Trans cooler bypass valve delete?

Post by Colibri » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:55 am

Rodeoflyer had the same problem not long ago, I believe he installed the delete and is happy with the results. Hopefully he sees this and can elaborate. Unless you live next door to low sky I cannot foresee a problem
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Fastnlight
Model Year: 2016

Post by Fastnlight » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:53 pm

I’m guessing the tranny got hot. Did a warning light come on? How hot did it get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Iirc, you are good way past reasonable temperatures. I think I was told things get bad somewhere above 250?
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:55 am

Yes I installed one and am happy with it. We realized mine was stuck only after the transmission was fully rebuilt. It may have been the root cause of my transmission failure. I was pushing 100k miles and the rebuilt one has a 100k mile warranty so I’m comfortable with it.

It seems like a failure prone design that can take your transmission with it.

Btw, my trans temp shot up to 250 (temporarily during drive home) and a warning light never came on. I was monitoring the temps because of the new trans and just happened to catch it. If not for monitoring the temps on the heads up I would have never known. If I recall the tech said the light may be calibrated for 280 or some crazy hot temp. I’d suggest monitoring temps closely and if it sticks again you can tap on it a little with something to free the stuck checkball. That may get you home safely.

Install vid: https://youtu.be/zp9A3IX288o

Fastnlight

Post by Fastnlight » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:30 am

@Rodeo Flyer. Good thing you were monitoring the temps. Amazing there is not a warning light or sound. I tend to monitor my tranny temp when towing but will be much more diligent about it. I’m leaning towards getting this delete but am worried about voiding the factory warranty. Also, the very existence of the factory installed bypass begs the question: What are the positives to warming your tranny up sooner? There has to have been some benefit for Ram to have gone to the trouble of installing these. Hopefully a tranny guy will comment.

Last edited by Fastnlight on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fastnlight

Post by Fastnlight » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:32 am

The very fact that Ram has these on backorder is disconcerting. They must be replacing a lot of them.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:36 am

Well, the ad for the delete says they fail ‘in every case’. I’ll take my chances with the delete. My transmission builder said he was fine with it and it won’t affect his 100k warranty. He was investigating how to modify the stock one to convert it to a bypass when I located this one.

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by waldo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for the link, Rodeoflyer.

I have no idea what temp the light tripped, but when I changed the EVIC it was reading under 200. The light didn't come on until I was a mile from the cabin, so it didn't get driven far like that.

As far as the question as to why they use it. IDK, probably cold climate. In the old days trans fluid ran through a loop in the radiator. That brought it up to temp quickly, but as we all know it doesn't help keep temps down.

It's definitely failure prone and doesn't fail safe (open). The fact that none are available and the deletes even exist says it all.

It seems the KISS principle is lost on the engineers of today. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it.

This thing (at best) will leave you sitting out in BFE with your thumb in your butt waiting for it to cool down, or a smoked trans.

I called Ram customer support, opened a case and bitched about it. They were more concerned about some other BS recalls on my truck and were generally no help.

Fastnlight

Post by Fastnlight » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:27 pm

waldo wrote:Thanks for the link, Rodeoflyer.

I have no idea what temp the light tripped, but when I changed the EVIC it was reading under 200. The light didn't come on until I was a mile from the cabin, so it didn't get driven far like that.

As far as the question as to why they use it. IDK, probably cold climate. In the old days trans fluid ran through a loop in the radiator. That brought it up to temp quickly, but as we all know it doesn't help keep temps down.

It's definitely failure prone and doesn't fail safe (open). The fact that none are available and the deletes even exist says it all.

It seems the KISS principle is lost on the engineers of today. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it.

This thing (at best) will leave you sitting out in BFE with your thumb in your butt waiting for it to cool down, or a smoked trans.

I called Ram customer support, opened a case and bitched about it. They were more concerned about some other BS recalls on my truck and were generally no help.
So your saying a light did come on for you? Appears RodeoFlyer didn’t get a light.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:36 pm

Sounds about right, however the draglink falling apart and killing an entire family may be priority over their poor transmission programming causing failed transmissions or whatever other issues are reported such as a high rate of thermostat failures.

I had the solenoid recall done along with PCM update and the transmission was shifting so much better, like night and day better (and I hate when people say night and day but it was). I think the less than ideal (and I say that nicely) transmission programming and this faulty thermostat killed my original transmission. Fortunately I had an extended 125k mile warranty through my lienholder and they paid 100% for the rebuild. I paid another $1000 or so for upgraded internals and a billet valve body (required for the 100k mile warranty with the builder).

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by waldo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:36 pm
Sounds about right, however the draglink falling apart and killing an entire family may be priority over their poor transmission programming causing failed transmissions or whatever other issues are reported such as a high rate of thermostat failures.

I had the solenoid recall done along with ECM update and the transmission was shifting so much better, like night and day better (and I hate when people say night and day but it was). I think the less than ideal (and I say that nicely) transmission programming and this faulty thermostat killed my original transmission. Fortunately I had an extended 125k mile warranty through my lienholder and they paid 100% for the rebuild. I paid another $1000 or so for upgraded internals and a billet valve body (required for the 100k mile warranty with the builder).

I checked the draglink jam nuts myself. I'm not letting anyone weld on it. What moron came up with that idea? I'll wait until they come up with a real solution.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Yeah my draglink nuts loosened a few times but I put a stop to that. Haven’t had an issue with them in 50k miles now. I won’t allow them to weld the nuts either. I’ll buy a synergy draglink.

Some other info lace we’re on the trans topic...RFE transmissions have a weak stock valve body. My 4th gear clutch was toast. Worn down to the backplate....

Since its early production in 1999, the RFE platform has been plagued with many issues. Some of the biggest problems have been premature clutch failure and valvebody wear. The premature clutch failure can be isolated to hydraulic cross leaks and warped valve bodies. Approximately 80-90% of those cross leaks have been found in the OE channel plate casting.

For example, fourth gear clutch failure, premature valvebody bores worn, and defective valve lands. So, we decided that the best way to fix this issue was to eliminate channel plate flexing.

Hence, a channel plate made from billet was engineered, also with shallower channels to expedite gear shifts.

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:14 pm

That replacement part causes cancer according to California.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:44 am

flattire wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:14 pm
That replacement part causes cancer according to California.
That's only if you suck on the transmission lines during installation :rofl:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:53 am

I think my toothpaste now has a disclaimer about causing cancer in CA. I don’t live in CA so I guess I’ll be alright.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:56 am

hmm. THis is interesting. My transmission always runs 172 which is pretty ok in my opinion. However, I didn't realize it was a mechanical ball valve and not electronically controlled.

On my old 46RE, it wouldn't shift to OD if the fluid dropped below 100 deg, and it would drop during extended lock up in cold weather after I bypassed the oem thermostat. (So if you downshifted to third on a hill, it wouldn't go back to OD until it could heat up.)
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:17 pm

I believe they added the thermostat mostly to help meet more stringent CAFE regulations. Cooler fluid is thicker and more viscous. Getting the transmission to temperature as fast as possible wastes as little fuel as possible.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Oilbrnr » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Interesting. Pricey little chunk of aluminum. (but cheaper than a rebuild)
'16 with '17 FWC

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:41 pm

I believe you’re right Tim. But then you’re always right :).

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by waldo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:38 pm

A little update.

I said in my first post that Ram was of little help. I did get a call from someone there that could get that part to the closest dealer so I could drive home.

Have to give credit where it's due.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Glad it worked out and you didn’t have to white knuckle it home.