New Shoes On!

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

New Shoes On!

Post by ramv » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm

well, this is my first ever purely cosmetic upgrade (AEV wheels) however not my first functional tire improvement (Toyo 35" MTs).

I'm thrilled with the look, and the FCA replacement air pressure sensor immediately paired. the 315/70R17 BFG @ 50 psi fit (barely) in the stock location. Interesting, is I went from 33.25" total OD to 33.5" total OD to perfectly align the speedo with the GPS, so the Toyos aren't actually much bigger. (they are at 35 psi, so admittedly less pressure.)

Big advantage on the Toyos is increase in weight rating (3640 lb versus 3195 lb on the BFG, which I discovered on my last trip over the cat scales, that I am in the range between the two when fully loaded.)

I like the dark look. May need to start working on the rest of the truck...
Ram New wheels.jpg
Ram new wheels 2.jpg
Ram Spare.jpg
2016 Laramie; Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Onlyone
Model Year: 2018

Re: New Shoes On!

Post by Onlyone » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:35 pm

Looks great!
2018 Power Wagon. Granite Crystal.
37-12.50-17 KO2s

Punishher7
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Punishher7 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:25 am

I dig it! I have the same wheel and tire package right down to the spare.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Looks great! 35’s, WTF?!?!?!?? (Guessing you dont feel like regearing).

Whats up with the drivers side taillight?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:38 am

I actually have no idea why I got 35"s. The 315s are winter tires, and fit chains with no issues, so don't know why I needed 35"s for the summer??? I may have been drunk when I ordered them? Everything fits though with them. The truck fits in the 7' garage. clears the 7' car wash. Fullsize spare is good too.

Loaded for camping I'm 16k lb GVWR which I think the 6.4 would be fine with at 4.10s/37"s but it works too. I want to do 5.13s, I just need confidence in a shop to do them. I like working on my truck, but gears are out of my confidence range. I did a drop in locker on the second gen in the blizzard in a parking lot, and I realized diffs aren't my thing.

Drivers side taillight is awesome. Just like the passenger side. The body... well I smoked a post and destroyed the factory taillight when I was "testing" the locker bypass in some snow. It was an interesting dilemma when I was wedged against a gate, on how to get up the hill. I actually winched to the same fence, I considered chaining up (my Z8s can be put on without driving over them), but wading through knee deep snow and ice in running shoes with a 7/32" winch cable seemed easier than trying to dig out the tires and get chains on. I had to drag it a little bit, but the damage was from hitting the fence originally. Could not get the front tires to hook up on the ice below the snow. Admittedly, had the chains been on...

I would write up or fire an employee and the supervisor for not chaining up and damaging a company LDV or truck but the good thing about being stupid on your own time, it's only money...
2016 Laramie; Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by EasyDoesIt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:52 am

ramv wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:38 am
I would write up or fire an employee and the supervisor for not chaining up and damaging a company LDV or truck but the good thing about being stupid on your own time, it's only money...
Been there done that more than once. We should start a Stupid Hurts thread where we list all the things we've broke because our own bonehead moves.

My latest was melting my rear bumper pad, sensors, plate lights, and "smoking" my taillight lens because I wanted to chop the rear exhaust resonator.

Like Newton's Law states, for every stupid action there is an equal and opposite reaction to your bank account.

Tires look good man.
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:59 pm

True dat! Yes, I should have known better.

I recall on 35"s now, I saw a prospector on 37" BFGs and the front bumper was all hacked which kind of looked like crap (I forgot their suspension pushes the axle forward a bit.) Also, the E Toyos in 37" are 13.5" wide, so I figured all the extra weight, plus height would hurt my towing performance. Plus as per above on doing stupid shit, if I got somewhere I shouldn't be, the chains I have will work on these tires and clear the body.

If I stay in the south (I lived in Colorado when I ordered these) I may consider going 37"s next time. In reality, these are likely the "right" size for how I use the truck.

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:39 pm

Looks great! I like the wheels, and I've always preferred the "blacked out" look myself.

In all seriousness, 35's are perfectly fine and are probably the "best" tire size for a truck that's not being driven hard off-road most of the time. Not too small, but not so big that they require modifications either; I went lot's of places off-road on my old 35" Mastercraft AXT's and never had a problem due to tires.

Also, FYI, tire inflation pressure doesn't change the tires circumference and thus, has no effect on odometer/speedometer readings.
EasyDoesIt wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:52 am
Like Newton's Law states, for every stupid action there is an equal and opposite reaction to your bank account.
:rofl: I'm gonna have to remember that one!
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:56 pm

NovA ProspekT wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:39 pm

Also, FYI, tire inflation pressure doesn't change the tires circumference and thus, has no effect on odometer/speedometer readings.
This isn't true, fill your tires to max psi, measure from ground to center of axle, then lower psi to 15 psi and remeasure... your radius will be less and will effect it, is it enough to notice? probably not but technically it does effect it.

Hypothetical you have a 40" tire that's exactly 40", radius is 20", let air out and you now have 18", you've gone from a 40" tire down to a 36" tire....
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

1pieceatatime
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 1pieceatatime » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Oh dear. This pressure/circumference discussion can bring out some “dialog”...

At the risk of fanning the flames: within reason, the circumference is the circumference irrespective of pressure. Very low or very high pressures may be exceptions - but within typical operating pressures differences would be negligible.

Sure, the distance from hub center to the ground changes a fair amount within normal pressure range - but the contact patch grows, too, and overall circumference of tire - and therefore the distance you travel for each tire revolution - is for practical purposes the same.

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Will wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:56 pm
NovA ProspekT wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:39 pm

This isn't true, fill your tires to max psi, measure from ground to center of axle, then lower psi to 15 psi and remeasure... your radius will be less and will effect it, is it enough to notice? probably not but technically it does effect it.

Hypothetical you have a 40" tire that's exactly 40", radius is 20", let air out and you now have 18", you've gone from a 40" tire down to a 36" tire....
Yes, lower tire pressure will reduce the overall height of the tire, but not the circumference, which is a different measurement. If you have a tire with a diameter of 40", the circumference of that tire will be approximately 125.66", which is also the distance that tire would travel in one full rotation. This measurement, circumference, is unaffected by inflation pressure, and on a given tire would only change as that particular tires tread wears-down. Which is why vehicles with full-time 4WD systems, like both of my Grand Cherokee's, REQUIRE all 4 tires tread-depth/overall diameter to be within about 1/8" of each other, or else you can prematurely wear-out the viscous-couplers inside the transfer-case and/or axles.

Now, the overall height of the tire, as measured supporting the weight of the vehicle, will change as inflation pressure does, because it is the air inside of the tire that is supporting the weight of the vehicle, and not the tire itself which is pretty much just a "container" for the air.
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Roll it and mark the lines and see what happens....regardless of tread length, if the radius changes, so does the distance traveled.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:32 pm

:shock: :geek: :run:

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:36 pm

ramv wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:32 pm
:shock: :geek: :run:

Other test... Adjust the pressure. Compare speedo to GPS, see if difference changes...

My thoughts is that circumference does change as the more inflated tire rolling circumference is closer to true tire circumference, while the more delated tire tread deforms and basically short cuts the circumference. just my thoughts, could be wrong.

I would anticipate a highly inflated spare as being more difficult to store due to the center of the tread ballooning out...

Onlyone

Post by Onlyone » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Another test. Ask why we care. Poor damn horse. :D
2018 Power Wagon. Granite Crystal.
37-12.50-17 KO2s

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by cb1987 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:42 pm

im going with a new tire and wheel combo. and a blm rig locker bypass. should make for a good package