Pulsar 6.4 PCM piggyback !

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Pulsar 6.4 PCM piggyback !

Post by PWJouster » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:03 pm

worked great for over a week.
better MPG, and definitely added power....but yesterday!

HOLD UP!

some funky stuff happened just now.

pulled up onto a curb and parked level on some grass next to the road.
inflated FRONT tires from 40PSI warm to 48PSI....cold they were at 38PSI. (wanted to test out some higher pressures for handling and fuel economy)

Pulled off the curb, and the shifter was limiting the gears in 2nd, so AS i was accelerating(Moderately) I hit the + until it was set at 6th.

about 3500RPM in 2nd, with the gear select now on 6th, going over 25MPH....THE TRUCK LOCKED THE FRONT TIRES AND BROUGHT ME TO A STANDSTILL! IN THE MIDDLE OF ACTIVE DIXIE HIGHWAY!

released the gas pedal, and truck reverted to a higher gear and i carried on. now wet. and now flooring it so traffic didnt pile up on me.

Cant say why this happened. Maybe because after filling the tires, it was only 25 seconds or so until i was back in the truck slowly dropping one tire off the curb at a time.
Maybe the diameter and revolutions of the tires are measured constantly. New tire height messed with the ABS or PULSAR. It always takes a few minutes for TPMS to update.
Maybe the Pulsar couldnt translate the new data fast enough to the PCM, and the Pulsar corrupted some data.
Maybe the ABS or traction control thought something was out of line, with tire pressures changing drastically(like always)

i have filled my tires like this many times, and i have floored it in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lockout to redline, and other then power being pulled, it never applied brakes UNTIL THE TRUCK WAS STOPPED completely.

in the moment, it felt like nothing was going to get the truck rolling again.
it felt like a very strong emergency stop, not ABS taking its time.

I heard alot of Gear/Transmission noises. Its driving fine now, and no other issues persist.
Not Fun
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: Pulsar 6.4 PCM piggyback !

Post by PWJouster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Truck has been running OK. No other issues.

It had to have been a ABS Traction TCM fault, not associated with the PCM piggyback.

The piggyback does really give you a more than seat of pants increase in horsepower.
When the air is dense, cool, and dry, is when that extra oxygen being pulled in gets leveraged.
Serious Mid Range power increases that are still felt in the low end and top end.

Serious for a $500 piggyback that can be removed in just a few seconds and doesn't require 3rd party tuning.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

AlaskaTRX
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by AlaskaTRX » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Has anyone performed some independent Dyno testing with the Pulsar installed?

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:57 am

not that i know of.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:27 pm

how is this treating you? considering one for my 2016
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:42 pm

I have one on the 1500 and it's been great, no issues. Really wakes up the truck.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:31 am

ramv wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:27 pm
how is this treating you? considering one for my 2016
well lets say this, when it works, it works.

Not on the truck now. I had another stall issue plague me once more. This time the truck was pinging and detonating and failing to produce power like prior, and as the truck was stalling, i luckily pulled/rolled into a few McDonalds parking spots sideways.

well, i removed the pulsar unit and reconnected the battery, but the brake pedal was stuck and could not be depressed. Well, no brake, and you cant start the truck.
Diablo walked me through it, and i had to sit there for 30 minutes with the battery Disconnected foot on the brake to drain all the power from the ECM.

It worked but i wasnt happy.
I now know that it was never bad gas that was in my tank, and all my issues stemmed from the pulsar. I believe i had an early unit that needs to be reflashed or scrapped. Diablo asked for me to send it back, but i havent had the time.

I would try a new one, and recommend it, but i would not buy a used one, and, if it doesnt work with your truck for whatever reason, it wont work.

Im still waiting for them to release new PCMs for 18s. Im not sure the piggyback is the best way to get it done.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Oilbrnr » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Sounds like they are 'field testing' their code using consumers.

About 50% of the reviews on their own site show the same thing.

Not good.
'16 with '17 FWC

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Oilbrnr wrote:Sounds like they are 'field testing' their code using consumers.

About 50% of the reviews on their own site show the same thing.

Not good.
Agreed. It is only good to be a guinea pig when you are being compensated for it and you know its happening.

Given the amount of technology on the new trucks and the need to secure them as they are always connected it is going to be increasingly more difficult to do aftermarket enhancements without knowing someone who can program.

As much as we would like to bitch and complain it is Ram or Chrysler trying to screw the aftermarket folks, I can assure you it isn’t.

If you give away the security details then anyone can hack you. All connected cars are at risk of being hacked by third parties even remotely if there isn’t some type of security module.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:33 pm

yea but my 2016 BMW x5 50i had BMS piggyback tuners and it was just fine...only pulled timing when it got too hot under hood.
my take is the hardware and chipset are not up to the task.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander